Hey guys! So I'm looking for a second pen, I'm a newbie, I know. I'm looking for a nicer pen (I have a Lamy Safari XF now), and I want one with a bit of heft, a good FINE nib, and a nice sleek design. It can't be that flashy, I'm going to bring it with me back to college, but a nice pen between 100-150 would be great. Below 100 would be ideal, but I'm willing to pay more. The only requirement I have, and this is why I need all of your help, is that the nib has to write REALLY finely. I know those can be a tad scratchy, but I just need a really fine nib. Finer than a Lamy XF, if that helps. My handwriting just cannot take even medium nibs and still be legible, so please help guys!

Thank you!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• dspeers58

• johnjayalvaro

• GabrielleDuVent

Top Posters In This Topic

Pilot 78G F or Sailor MF has finer nibs in terms of width than Lamy XF. They aren't really upper-scale pens, however; my Sailor is a really cutsey one (Candy Milk).

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

Grab a Pilot Vanishing Point ($140). The nibs (Japan) run finer than the Lamy (German). I have had both pens, and the Pilot is unmatched for quality at the price. Do some review searches for it and see the feedback. The Namiki Falcon is also great, but a little more expensive.

You might look at a Platinum 3776 Century on Ebay, Kendo-Karate or Engeika. You can usually get them for around $100 with shipping. Great pens

Hi,

I'm feeling a bit of a contrarian today, so let me suggest a somewhat different strategy to the common quest for a pen with a very narrow nib that's within hailing distance of USD100: Find a steel nib pen that suits your preference for size, mass, fill system, etc. then send it off to a person to have the nib ground and the flow set-up to match your requirements.

Let me also suggest that while you're waiting, (hopefully not procrastinating), acquire a very inexpensive Pilot 'Penmanship', which has a steel XF nib, to use as a testbed for sampling ink+paper combos (to be used in setting the nib flow above); and for honing your skill to write with a very light hand. In parallel, I reckon you might also get going on choosing ink/s, and ordering some of those for trials. Ditto for paper . . .

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Japanese nibs run finer than Western nibs. Consider:

Pilot Custom 74

Platinum 3776 series

( for a little more the 3776 Black ribbed pen is a great looking and quality pen. Love mine)

Sailor 1911 mid sisize

All of the above are quality pens/nibs with reasonable prices, with the medium being more like a fine and the fine more like an extra fine.

Check these pens out at Nibs.com. You can compare the nib line width and their specs of each pen on that site under " pen and nib specs" on their side information. They can also set up the flow for your needs. This info may be helpful to you even if you do not purchase there.

Best regards

bluesky

Levenger has its True Writer line of pens which are nice. Replaceable nibs. Generally speaking available for under $100, but look and write like something more expensive. I have the Silver Anniversary which has a gunmetal finish over a brass barrel so it gives it some heft. Not the finest fine around, not sure if a XF is available. (it is a Schmidt nib I believe) I have the fine nib - it is a great writer.

You can get a Pelikan M200 with an EF from Richard Binder (richardspens.com) for about $120 shipped. Piston filler as opposed to cartridge converter like the True Writer....

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

By far, my finest nib is a Masuyama needlepoint (.25-.3mm) which you can get with any Franklin-Christoph pen, I believe. It's even finer than my Namiki Falcon Soft Extra Fine, Sailor Clear Candy Fine, and Pilot 78G Fine.

You might consider working on your handwriting.

That is what I am doing right now.

FAST note taking in college screwed up my handwriting, and it has never recovered.

My rekindled interest in fountain pens has gotten me interested in "fixing" my handwriting. I am working on both size (making it bigger, I could easily write in narrow ruled paper) and legibility (better clearly formed letters). I am writing a journal, with whatever I think of, just to get ink on paper, and get my hand used to writing larger and neater. In 2-1/2 weeks I am almost finished filling a composition book.

My problem with F tips and your problem with XF or XXF tips is the paper. The finer the tip the smoother the paper needs to be. Unless you spend the $ for Clairfontaine, finding GOOD low cost/cheap paper can be difficult. I'm still waiting for Staples to bring in the wide ruled paper made in Brazil.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com