Hero's Safari Clone

wieniawski

Just to add, they do have such things as design patents (some other countries have a similar thing called registered designs). It's more specific (and interpretive) than a functional patent. They last for a term of 14 years -- at least in the US. So even if Lamy had one of these, the term would have expired.

Yes, their are! In my primary field, however, they are very rare, so I did not get into them - most people seem to think all design is patented, and it's not, which was my point.

You've got more specific info than I had, and I thank you for pointing it out!

T

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• TSherbs

• wieniawski

• Moshe ben David

The Lamy pens are not overpriced in china as I demonstrated. They are the same price if a little cheaper.

Okay, your wrong. Here is the Amazon listing for a Vista http://www.amazon.cn/LAMY-凌美-Vista自信系列透明杆宝珠/dp/B00C1ZUB2Y/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390900700&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=lamy+vista+钢

List price before Amazon discount ¥298 which is $49.26. So yes they are.

Have fist, will travel

My deviantArt page

Which price do you expect?

Even in Germany it is about 26$, add the high Chinese import taxes, shipping across half of the world, handling,....

Seems to be a reasonable price for me.

(Beside Chinese stuff) Import goods are always much more expensive than in the home country.

Take Noodler's products in Europe, they are quite cheap in the US and quite expensive in Europe.

This is how things are.

Maybe you should complain about the high Chinese import taxes and not about Lamy. ;)

... and don't argue that Lamy should produce their stuff also in China, I'm very happy that they don't do it.

IMO shipping goods (and junk) all over the planet is still far too cheap, I'm no fan of globalization.

Who's complaining about Lamy? I like Lamy, too, and own two of their pens and really like them both. But I am also going to buy a Hero (next month, I pace myself) cuz they are offering different colors at a cheaper price for me in the US. I am not buying a Hero, btw, because it looks like a Safari. I am glad that it is larger, light, writes wet, comes in purple, and costs under $20 US.

Edited by TSherbs

It's not all that 'poor' a 'copy.' They are lightweight, reliable, wet writers, and people on this thread have explained the different circumstances leading to production ofnthe Summer Colors.

They are not sold or labeled Safaris. That would be a different story.

If you dislike the concept, no one's making you buy.

What "concept" are you talking about? Companies like this (Hero) have very little, if no, respect at all for design rights.

By the tone of your last sentence, it appears that this is OK in your part of the world, but not here where I live.

I am done with this thread.

I only have two pens - an Aurora Optima and others.

What "concept" are you talking about? Companies like this (Hero) have very little, if no, respect at all for design rights.

By the tone of your last sentence, it appears that this is OK in your part of the world, but not here where I live.

Which specific "design rights" are you asserting are being violated? These "rights," I assume, are legal and quite specifically worded. Are you referencing a particular international law in this case? I don't practice law, but I am fascinated by the particulars of its language (I practice language).

Lamy had a patent, which expired, so no, there are no design rights violated here, and I'm not sure what is 'OK in your part of the world', but most of us try to get the facts straight before tossing around accusations and insults.

(Beside Chinese stuff) Import goods are always much more expensive than in the home country.

Take Noodler's products in Europe, they are quite cheap in the US and quite expensive in Europe.

Noodler's inks are made in the USA.

• 1 month later...

I think if I was Lamy I would sue them!

They changed it enough it can be considered a parody. The pen only has one facet, and does not claim to be a Safari, that is the edit given by independent sellers. I bought one and swapped the feed with my al-star so I can use standard international cartridges/converters.

The Hero SC ... alas ... does NOT use standard internationals. The connection is slightly different, and isellpens (I believe) states that the SC can use Parker carts, but I'd have to check.

The fact that early buzz stated the SC used standards was one reason I bought it, but even seeing that it does not, the pen writes so well that I don't really mind.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Parker cartridges fit perfectly! Result as I have a stock of Parker Cartridges that were redundant as I had no Parker pens left to use them with. I will now use them in my three Hero SCs

I think I had tried fitting ALL my converters into the 359, including the Parker. At least both mine came with cons, and the one from China also came with six carts.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

And what about replacement nibs? I seem to recall when the Hero Clone came out (and I bought a white one) that Hero would also be selling replacement nibs. Are they available? And who here would NOT be interested in more nibs for their Safari at half the price? The Safari nib design is very similar to many many others...

I've been using my yellow Hero SC for a couple of weeks as a work pen and it has not been abused and I've hardly used the clip. However, today this happened....

Sadly the pen has been binned. I still have my blue and green SCs to use but I doubt that I will be buying any more - only the real thing from now on!

I wouldn't have thrown out a pen merely because of a chip like that, but hey, it's your pen.

Well if it was a more expensive pen I would have thought twice

I have pulled off the Hero nib on my blue Hero SC and fitted a spare Lamy medium and it writes just as well as my real Lamy Safaris now. I think this will replace the yellow one as my work pen!

People have wondered whether the nibs are interchangeable!

They are, but sadly the later Hero and Jinhao aren't =(

Those nibs look better.

Edited by Tenkai

My version of the guide for the Pilot Varsity Nib transplantation to the Platinum Preppy

DIY Retractable Fountain Pen (Couldn't get it to work, now refilling Schmidt 888 M refills with FP inks in a Pilot G2 Limited, the ceramic roller tip is as smooth as a Firm FP steel nib, Poor Man's VP I guess)