Left-Handers Day: August 13Th

fiberdrunk

Left Handers Club has some fun posters (.pdf) you can print off free here to help celebrate the day. They are located in the U.K. They are affiliated with Anything Lefthanded, a mail order company that specializes in left-handed pens and left-handed-friendly gadgets of all kinds. I'm not affiliated with them, though I have bought a few products to help teach my left-handed daughter how to write (I'm left-handed as well). Thought other lefties might enjoy a day just for them!

http://www.lefthandersday.com/posters/leftyzone200.jpg

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fiberdrunk

• Scrawler

• Vendome

• GabrielleDuVent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gee, it's not on a Friday. I'll have to write some verse with the pen I bought in the Left-Handed Store in Boston twenty-three years ago.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I'm not a lefty. In fact, I'm so right-handed I'm also left-footed!

But I *pour* left-handed (which drove my mom bonkers when she'd see me do it). Does that count? ;)

Oh, and I set up the mouse on my old desktop computer for my left hand, in order to not overstress my wrist....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I'm a righty, but I can sort of write semi legible left handed . . . Learned after a third degree grease burn to my right hand! I used to be able to write the same thing with both hands at the same time! Parlor trick, semi entertaining.

I'll join in on the 13th! Thanks a good excuse to practice for possible right arm rotator cuff surgery.

Fair winds and following seas.

Oh blimey, I never realised that me being a lefty classed me as "Special Needs".

It seems that we have our own support group as well. :)

Long reign the House of Belmont.

Oh blimey, I never realised that me being a lefty classed me as "Special Needs".

It seems that we have our own support group as well. :)

Maybe they have "cack-hand correctional facility" as well. :P

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

Maybe they have "cack-hand correctional facility" as well. :P

Miss DuVent,

Having Vincent Price dressed up as the Witchfinder General and ordering left handed folk to be burnt at the stake in Bury town centre on Market days, (just because we write with the Devil's hand) is not my idea of a "correctional facility". :P

How come there is not information on that site about rectifying sinister people?

Edited by Scrawler

Miss DuVent,

Having Vincent Price dressed up as the Witchfinder General and ordering left handed folk to be burnt at the stake in Bury town centre on Market days, (just because we write with the Devil's hand) is not my idea of a "correctional facility". :P

Would you rather have the correctional facility in Norfolk instead? Sean Lock did say "there's nothing there".

If nothing else works, we can always send you to the Tower for a nice little chat with the resident torturer. :D

Would you rather have the correctional facility in Norfolk instead? Sean Lock did say "there's nothing there".

If nothing else works, we can always send you to the Tower for a nice little chat with the resident torturer. :D

Norfolk's alright, but you're not dragging me to the Tower. :yikes:

I've got another Vincent Price film called Tower of London and in that he's nuttier and more blood-thirsty than in his Witchfinder General role.

Trust me, I'll be happier attending my Cack Handed support group and getting to grips with some left handed scissors and potato peelers. :)

Miss DuVent,

:lticaptd: I'm cracking up over the direction this thread is taking!!

:lticaptd: I'm cracking up over the direction this thread is taking!!

Yet still no real information about correcting left handedness.

Obviously not! That's trade secret, isn't it? :P

Obviously not! That's trade secret, isn't it? :P

That seems to imply that there have been no advances over the old methods of extreme violence and belittling. I was obliged to allow my offspring to remain sinister because the social services around here took a dim view of the whip.

http://www.lefthandedchildren.org/images/bart-at-blackboard.jpg

http://wasioabbasi.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/leftrightbrain.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ah3m6e-oJ50/UVhpXFskOkI/AAAAAAAAARU/HfXosZ6QzuI/s400/Left-handed-facts-Brain1+%25281%2529.jpg

http://files.g4tv.com/ImageDb3/281187_S/Things-People-Say-When-They-See-You-Write-With-Your-Left-Hand.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-t265EBzQr2I/UCiV2HoOZoI/AAAAAAAAAQI/-68H0SpfD9c/s640/left-handers-day.gif

Any special day for half lefties? :yikes: Or half righties? :yikes:

Otherwise known as ambidextrous? :D

Kind regards,

Rui

http://flipkicklisten.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/mean-teacher-198x300.jpg

eta: edited photo in case the other one gave offense

Edited by fiberdrunk

http://flipkicklisten.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/mean-teacher-198x300.jpg

eta: edited photo in case the other one gave offense

Having been "fixed" by the most violent and unpleasant methods imaginable, I am quite unlikely to have been offended by any image. This one is only mild and amusing.

Having been "fixed" by the most violent and unpleasant methods imaginable, I am quite unlikely to have been offended by any image. This one is only mild and amusing.

Well, the other one was of a nun holding a ruler, about to smack a student, and I got to thinking that might offend some people!

Well, the other one was of a nun holding a ruler, about to smack a student, and I got to thinking that might offend some people!

It would not have offended me. It would have been close but mild compared to the constant beating and verbal abuse they dished out to me. One would stand in front of me and hand me a pencil and every time I reached out with my left the other with a cane would strike me very hard on the hand or arm. They did not use the flat of the ruler, but the edge. They also slapped my face and called me vile names. They would also tie my left arm to my belt. Left-handedness is strong in my family. My younger brother went to a different school and he was allowed to remain left handed, though he never learned to write well. My daughter and a couple nieces are also sinistral.