Custom 74 Or Pelikan M200?! Help Me Decide!

dot

40 members have voted

1. 1. What pen is the wiser purchase?

• Pilot Custom 74, fine
    • Pelikan M200, extra-fine
    • Don't kid yourself; you know you'll end up getting both
    • Neither; get ________

I'm tempted to buy a demonstrator and I'm partial to fine-but-good nibs with some spring. Careful Googling and forum searching has led me to these two: the Pilot Custom 74 in fine and the Pelikan m200 in extra-fine.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to sell me on one or the other or both of these pens using whatever rhetorical means necessary.

I thank you for your wise counsel in advance.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dot

• Sandy1

• beak

• Nonsensical

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't tried the Pilot 74 but love my VP so I'd think it was excellent (plus what I've read). I do have a M2xx (215) with a Richard Binder CI nib and it is a true joy to use. I don't believe you can go wrong with either so I voted both ;)

Both are most excellent pens and counted amongst my favorites. You won't be disappointed with either and I'd recommend that you get both. The 74 is bigger all around if that makes a difference to you. Both write very smooth. Here is a quick & dirty cell phone pic.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/jdanley/1374432993_zps7e087179.jpg

Left to right: Custom 74 Demo, Custom 74 Black, M200 Clear Demo, M200 Black Italic, M200 Green Demo, M200 Grey Marbled (All in post-'97 New Style)

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Haven't tried the Pilot 74 but love my VP so I'd think it was excellent (plus what I've read). I do have a M2xx (215) with a Richard Binder CI nib and it is a true joy to use. I don't believe you can go wrong with either so I voted both ;)

Both are most excellent pens and counted amongst my favorites. You won't be disappointed with either and I'd recommend that you get both. The 74 is bigger all around if that makes a difference to you. Both write very smooth.

I suppose I should have expected all this enabling. Sargetalon, your pens are lovely.

I have Pellie M600 in EF 14K gold, I had a custom 74 in soft Fine. For elegance and history I would opt for the Pelikan. However both are very good writing instruments. I am fascinated with Pelikans for the smoothness of their nibs. The Custom 74 is larger than either the 200/400/600. I am not partial to translucent pens and my 74 was opaque black. The 600 remains one of my very much used and most favorite pens. My advice...buy both, and maybe sell the one you do not prefer, if money is an issue. Now, do you feel enabled, empowered? Have a go. Enjoy this life, it's so short why bother with minor details. I learned this a time ago and I am fairly happy. If certain things make you happy, try not to deny yourself within reason.

Edited by Edwaroth

Someone needs to say "get a TWSBI" just for the sake of it. Between those two pens I have seen a lot of happy reports. I think I've seen more attention given to the Pelikan, but both manufacturers are well regarded here. Why not flip a coin? Looks like a win-win scenario to me. :)

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

Someone needs to say "get a TWSBI" just for the sake of it.

Sadly, I've been burned by the dreaded barrel cracks on the 540 so I'm waiting for better reports on later TWSBI models.

Hi,

If you prefer a soft nib that will give a bit of line-width variation, I suggest the Soft Fine-Medium on the C74. * OooLaLa *

I like the size & ergonomics of the C74, but only unposted. The cap does post well down the barrel, so posting is do-able. Ink capacity is modest, so gives appropriate intermissions during long haul writing sessions.

I do like the M200 & M400 as a 'go anywhere' size. I prefer to use them posted for longer writing sessions - though not my M400 White+Tortoise! I reckon the M200 is a good platform for many of the vast array of M-series Pelikan nibs.

Care & feeding is a doddle for both pens.

The M200 + g-p steel EF and the C74+SFM appear In my Ink Review of Monteverde Blue, so [atrocious] written samples from those pens on the same papers from the same hand are to be found. (Please PM if you feel the need for specific comparo images. At present I am away from the originals, but can likely re-work what's near line.)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Having both...I'm tempted to say C74 over the M200. Whilst the Pelikan does have the piston filling system, cleaning the pen out is a hassle, and honestly, it bothers me a bit that ink tends to get stuck behind the piston once you start using it. The Pilot does have a slightly springier nib, and although it is c/c, if you get the CON-70, or even the CON-20, you shouldn't be running out of ink too fast.

Furthermore, I believe you can find the C74 online for better prices than you might expect for the Pelikan. I also find that the Pelikan M200 series nibs are quite smooth, and are very nice, but have this strange....almost ballpoint feel to them.

Size is another factor to consider. If you like posting your pens, I would go for the M200 - it is on the small side unposted, though. The C74 is larger, and better unposted. I do have small hands, so I use both unposted...

Also, the demo versions of the M200 command a price premium, I believe the C74 comes in both demo and solid colours for around the same price. There's also the Pilot Custom Heritage 91, which has the same nib as the C74, is about the same size, but has a different design. It has the classic flat-top design, and a different clip, but I have found them to perform similarly. They also tend to be cheaper, but only come in solid colours.

Had a 74 briefly, but soon passed it on because it felt so flimsy and insubstantial. I always feared that one line drawn too quickly, or one thoughtless movement of nib on paper would ruin the nib. Never felt like this with any Pelikan. Of course, the 74's nib is intended to be more delicate, but I found it impractical for everyday use.

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

Custom 74. Cheaper than the M200 if you do ebay. Solid 14k gold nib and wider variety of nib choices from EF to Cosu to Music. Holds nearly same amount of ink as the piston filler... Japanese reliability.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

In my opinion, the Pilot equivalent of the M200 is the Prera. Both are very nice pens that are essentially the same size. Both have really reliable steel nibs. The Pelikan has a classic look, while the Prera looks more modern.

Dave

both are great. the question to ask yourself is whether you prefer using a converter or a piston filler? i have both and find pilot custom is slightly longer and so much better to hold and use. nib wise, i prefer pilot, as the nib is a bit softer. but pelikan is also great pen. ah heck, get them BOTH!!

-rudy-