Nakaya 1/3 There...

WOBentley

I got notice on my way out of town a few days ago that my Dorsal Fin 1 with Makie-e lotus flower on the section and Kanji is in...after just 4 months!!!!

It could even be here tomorrow (yes I had Mrs. WO call with the credit card from the car as we were leaving for a remote area with no cell or Internet service). I got notice on our return that the nib was done (.9mm smooth CI, slightly wet at 6-7/10) and the package shipped...I am thrilled, and excited!...and surprised!

Woot woot !!!!

We are all ready to celebrate with you !

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• trax

• Earthdawn

• WOBentley

• mongrelnomad

It IS here...and to me Breathtakingly beautiful! Pictures do not do these pens Justice...

Thanks ED...we have been down a similar Nakaya path together!

I really need to send a big thank you to Lisa for being an instigator :) and to Geoduc for going out of his way to bring some pens by for me to try...and then allowing me to ask John to try to copy the magic that one of his nibs had...choosing an ink in my head right now...

Separate thread to follow!!!

Edited by WOBentley

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

It IS here...and to me Breathtakingly beautiful! Pictures do not do these pens Justice...

I really need to send a big thank you to Lisa for being an instigator :) and to Geoduc for going out of his way to bring some pens by for me to try...and then allowing me to ask John to try to copy the magic that one of his nibs had...choosing an ink in my head right now...

Ohhh yea... Now I really can't wait to see this beauty !

Nakaya Delivary days are always great ones

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/CF788194-2C24-4708-A0EB-23A3B5B58736-2244-00000085E820B529_zps1417cf44.jpg

Wow! really nice collection! :puddle:

I will get pics up ASAP...left for the Beach (camping) right after the pen came and didn't want to take it into that environment so will do as soon as I get back...I really want to get it inked up and writing!

Here it is, my new Naka-ai, with a recently acquired oblique holder from UniqueObliques (Musinkman on FPN) to keep it company. The Naka-ai is finished in Heki Tamenuri, the pillow is Kuro-tamenuri, and the holder is ebony, spalted mango, and blood wood.

fpn_1376332255__img_0755.jpg

As you can see, there are 4 kanji characters on the barrel. They are either a translation of my first name or my next order at the local sushi bar. I guess I'll find out next time I have a hankering for raw tuna.

fpn_1376332610__img_0758.jpg

Here's the business end, complete with zo-gan.

fpn_1376332826__img_0761.jpg

The nib is a fine left-oblique, ground from a soft-medium by John Mottishaw. The grind is on the formal side of cursive. Push strokes are possible, but slightly challenging. YMMV. Flex has also been increased, though more for feel than for line various, though from the line samples, it should be obvious that a fair amount of variation is available, both from nib geometry and from flex.

It's been a while since I've used an edged pen or written at an 83-90 degree slant, (most of the last two years have been almost exclusively in Spencerian at 52 degrees) so pardon my less than stellar penmanship. The words are from a Michael Sull practice sheet and should not be considered a boast or uncritical self-critique. I'm still getting used to the pen - it arrived just this last Friday - and the flow is still a little wonky, something I expect will improve once I've run a few loads of ink through it. Would that my penmanship might improve as quickly.

The pen barrel is nicely sized, and the taper should help it fit nearly anyone with medium to large hands. (She who must be obeyed likes the feel of it, too.) This is probably about it for me and pen buying.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

@ Mickey

Beautiful !!! I love the kanji & zo-gan ....

I have a Neo Standard in the Heki finish as well and just love the earth tones it has.

Congrats and enjoy...

PS ... everyone is getting an oblique holder from UniqueObliques. Love the workmanship he puts into them. Guess I better get one before everyone gobbles them up!

Mickey, the pen looks great! Love your handwriting as well :thumbup:

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

Beautiful pen, Mickey! The kanji looks great, too! The black kanji on my unpolished shu Piccolo seems less artistic than yours in gold. Can't wait to see it with my hands!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Hahaha! I am usually the escalator, not the instigator, hahahaha. Still waiting for photos. Have I missed them?

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• 1 month later...

So many beautiful pictures!

I think I have three months or more left to wait for my Nakaya, a black and gold housoge Naka-ai with a two tone music nib :)

Has anyone on this thread received their pens since they wrote here? Haven't read every post yet, but I will!

If you take care of the minutes, the years will take care of themselves. -Tibetan saying.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Why am I always the threadkiller.. :blush:

If you take care of the minutes, the years will take care of themselves. -Tibetan saying.

Why am I always the threadkiller.. :blush:

It's a gift. (There. Did that help? DON'T ANSWER.)

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

It's a gift. (There. Did that help? DON'T ANSWER.)

I'll answer anyway. Thank you, Mickey! You made it feel okay :) :) :) Have a great week, with amazing pens, inspiring ink colors and some good hot drinks to chase the autumn blues away!

I sense that the original post in this thread was implicitly asking for actual current waiting times for Nakaya pens. I ordered one through Ito-Ya in Tokyo on 23. May and recieved it in Denmark 26. September 2013. That is pretty close to five months.

The pen is the one in the last few pictures in the gallery I link to in my signature.

Pilot Capless Black Carbonesque - Pelikan M800 Demonstrator - Pelikan M625 blue -
Montblanc 146 platinum - Rotring 600 series 1 - Lamy Persona black - Lamy 2000 -
Waterman Edson green - Chatterley Visconti Ripple silver/clear - Visconti Homo Sapiens -
Pilot Custom 823 black - Pilot Art Craft Koushi - Nakaya Piccolo Cigar Akatame
Nakaya Portable Writer matte black urushi - Nakaya Titanium Piccolo -

Namiki Emperor red urushi
Pen photos

• 1 month later...

My Nakaya was ordered on 28th of May and was ready to ship from nibs.com two days ago, just a little under 6 months. 6-8 months they said, and I was surprised to get it under 6 :)

My Nakaya was ordered on 28th of May and was ready to ship from nibs.com two days ago, just a little under 6 months. 6-8 months they said, and I was surprised to get it under 6 :)

Looking forward to seeing pics of your Nakaya !!!!

You will be refreshing the UPS site a million times between now and when it arrives lol