Nakaya 1/3 There...

WOBentley

@sarahfar wow that's awesome !

The nib and clip look great. I am loving mine as well and glad hear you find it has that warm inviting feeling as well.

Writing sample looks great too. Line variation and nice &wet. I got mine at an 8 for flow. I figure the added flex would need it.

Curious as to what feed you got. If you can could you take a pic of the underside of the nib to show the feed?

Big congrats again!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• trax

• Earthdawn

• WOBentley

• mongrelnomad

Sarahfar, your pen and writing sample looks great! Looks like a dream of a writer, congrats so many times!!!

My unpolished shu BB stub is also (always) filled with Oxblood ink so that looked very familiar and dear to me as well ;)

Yours look wetter than mine, now I'm envious :D Wish mine was a tad bit wetter :)

If you take care of the minutes, the years will take care of themselves. -Tibetan saying.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Thanks for the pic sarahfar.

There was a talk a while back on whether the feeds were different due to age or for better flow. I believe it was the old vs. new argument that won in the end. I never did email John to ask though I still should just for my own curiosity.

I had brought it up as I had an "older" feed in one of my newer Nakayas from the "in stock" list.

Great pic and I am glad to see my pens brother has found a home that has plenty of company.

Yeah.... it is I believe old v new. It is interesting. I think it was a year ago I ordered an AO Decapod Piccolo direct from Japan. It actually came with the old feed without the square cutout. Of the 7 I have 5 have the old feed and the more blue kimono. 2 have the need feed and new kimono. 2 o the 3 in the pic are new feed. I can't see much of any in the performance, maybe John can indicate. And you are write as is everyone who has commented the Shu unpolished is spectacular.

Your blog and videos are really great work.

Best

• 1 month later...

Read on another thread can't remember which someone who was upset because the pattern/engraving on his Nakaya did not fall perfectly together between barrel and cap, and thought I'd mention that it does not fall together/fit from barrel to cap on my Housoge either. It does however match under the cap/ from barrel to grip section.

It doesn't bother me much (hadn't noticed before I read on the other thread!) but I can easily see why it would bother some as with pens this price range we really prefer it as perfect as possible. Sorry for the bleak unclear and messy pics, there were taken in a hurry as I just thought I'd share ;)

http://i.imgur.com/pSeixlZl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NKMKGR0l.jpg

If you take care of the minutes, the years will take care of themselves. -Tibetan saying.

edit, I had noticed but did not know they were supposed to match and so it did not bother me. :)

hm I hope it doesn't bother you now? =/ that'd be unfortunate.

(sounds like they don't make each pen individually, but as batches of pens and caps... what a pity!)

hm I hope it doesn't bother you now? =/ that'd be unfortunate.

(sounds like they don't make each pen individually, but as batches of pens and caps... what a pity!)

Hi DaintyDimsum :) It doesn't bother me now either, but my Mom did not like it, so i was abit sad just then when she seemed to think a little less of the pen.. She still thinks the pen is magnificent only for her it would've been more important that they match.

Mine was a special order and as far as I know the first Naka-ai to be made in this colour Housoge so I don't think they make it in batches but perhaps they work on caps and barrels as two different jobs, that they do not see them as one somehow :)

Feel free to send that "imperfection" my way!

I like the way the pattern appears to flow off the cap, as if it's part of some more infinite pattern.

Isn't it funny how different our perspectives are?

Feel free to send that "imperfection" my way!

I like the way the pattern appears to flow off the cap, as if it's part of some more infinite pattern.

Isn't it funny how different our perspectives are?

Thank you! :) Yeah I just love the thought of the focus, time and artistry put together in making these patterns, they are completely unique whether they come together at the cap or not :)

Read on another thread can't remember which someone who was upset because the pattern/engraving on his Nakaya did not fall perfectly together between barrel and cap, and thought I'd mention that it does not fall together/fit from barrel to cap on my Housoge either. It does however match under the cap/ from barrel to grip section.

It doesn't bother me much (hadn't noticed before I read on the other thread!) but I can easily see why it would bother some as with pens this price range we really prefer it as perfect as possible. Sorry for the bleak unclear and messy pics, there were taken in a hurry as I just thought I'd share.

Nakaya pens have multi-start threads on the cap so you don't have to twist the pen excessively to remove/apply the cap.

Unscrew the cap slowly while gently pushing the cap toward the body, when you hear/feel a click screw the cap back onto the body. If that doesn't work, do it again, there are four chances to get it correct. I have a bamboo wind and the pattern only aligns when the correct thread is engaged.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Nakaya pens have multi-start threads on the cap so you don't have to twist the pen excessively to remove/apply the cap.

Unscrew the cap slowly while gently pushing the cap toward the body, when you hear/feel a click screw the cap back onto the body. If that doesn't work, do it again, there are four chances to get it correct. I have a bamboo wind and the pattern only aligns when the correct thread is engaged.

Oh my!!! You are my hero, it worked!!! Perfect alignment!!! I could've walked through life never knowing this about my pen!!!

I'm out of words.. Forever grateful Wile E Coyote, and this I'll show my Mom :D

yay! I'm so glad you found the perfect alignment. this alignment issue is true of my twist decapod but I'm glad it's also true of the housoge :)

yay! I'm so glad you found the perfect alignment. this alignment issue is true of my twist decapod but I'm glad it's also true of the housoge :)

Thank you! Ah you have a twist decapod, lucky you! They are truly beautiful!

I can't believe there was such a simple solution to the alignment issue, I am floored.. :)

• 1 month later...

These Nakaya threads are murder!

:)

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras