Nakaya 1/3 There...

WOBentley

Just heard this morning from Classic Fountain pens: my pen is in the inventory for the next shipment from Japan. With 2 weeks for trans-Pacific shipping and customs, and another week for John to do a little nib magic (turn an SM into a flexible OF) plus domestic shipping, I should have the pen in my hands almost exactly 9 months after the order processed. Nine months? Hmm....

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• trax

• Earthdawn

• WOBentley

• mongrelnomad

I just got a new-to-me Nakaya!

Actually, at Pen Posse Saturday, Lsmith42 and I swapped Piccolos (we kept our nibs, though, as I prefer EF/F and Loren prefers B/BB) - so he got my heki tamenuri Piccolo Writer and I got his matte black Piccolo Writer!

It's funny, cos now our nibs and clips don't match, but this doesn't bother me at all. We'll have to see if the silver nib's not matching the gold clip gets to Loren... and what, if anything, he does about it.

I love my "new" matte black Piccolo! It feels soooooo nice, like charcoal!

Lisa, you know I'm gonna ask for pics....

Mine, well mine was a little ordeal... I ordered through J. Mottishaw to avoid language barrier (a previous experience directly with Nakaya was kinda awkward) so I went through them. I'm not sure if there was a miscommunication b/w Nakaya or Classic pens but it took a while, a while...... to let me know the model I wanted (Long Piccolo) was not available  :( . THEN we had to reorder again the whole thing. Mottishaw's personnel is delightful to work with, that I will say. Then my pen arrived with the wrong nib. Must say this took 2-3 days to get fixed and I consider that one pretty much fast (I did not make a case about having it overnight). So overall, it took me much much more than the usual 6 months. Was it worth it? Absolutely. Hey! this is not a first necessity article but a whim, a luxury, so I did not pester them.
 this is my baby

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Sonia...that is BEAUTIFUL! You must be thrilled! Enjoy...I would absolutely say it was worth the wait!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Sonia...that is BEAUTIFUL! You must be thrilled! Enjoy...I would absolutely say it was worth the wait!

Oh yes thanks! I AM enjoying it. hahahaha, I even have it in my night table, next to Momma :wub:

Actually, this IS my grail pen

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

I'm waiting for a Hakase. Pen should be finished by end of November. Kind of funny, my patience is all but non existent and normally I would dismiss any pen that would take this much time to get to me but after reading mongremelds review (sorry if I butchered name ) I was struck like I've never been before with any item. To make a long story short I am a fan of samurai culture. My favorite historical figure bar none is Miyamoto Musashi. As silly as this sounds I am going to have his name engraved in kanji on the cap. To me the hakase embraces a sort of rustic perfection which in my opinion musashi represented as well.

Expected delivery of my Dorsal Fin 2 aka tamenuri is october/november. (which means 7 months waiting time)

Nakaya Dorsal Fin II Broad Mottishaw Cursive Italic, Pilot Bamboo Fine, Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Music, Sailor PG Demonstrator MF, Sailor 1911 Cross Music, Pilot Capless LE 2007 Orange M, Platinum 3776 Nice LE Fine.

My only Nakaya experience is with a nice Naka-Ai I pre-ordered last year, received it pretty quick (I think 3 months or so).

My current long wait is for a couple of urushi collaborations I have on the go. The wait for the painstaking urushi finish is excruciating.

Ken

The wait for the painstaking urushi finish is excruciating.

Ken

+1

What beauty is it this time?

Neo Standard, and the nib was tuned by mr. Yoshida when I was in Tokyo in March. It arrived today (with import duties), review to follow later.

http://www.rhkoning.com/penpics/nakaya/bamboo/box%20@1200.jpg

http://www.rhkoning.com/penpics/nakaya/bamboo/nakaya%20in%20box%20@1200.jpg

and the main event:

http://www.rhkoning.com/penpics/nakaya/bamboo/nakaya%20bamboo%20closed%20@1200.jpg

Neo Standard, and the nib was tuned by mr. Yoshida when I was in Tokyo in March. It arrived today (with import duties), review to follow later.

http://www.rhkoning.com/penpics/nakaya/bamboo/box%20@1200.jpg

http://www.rhkoning.com/penpics/nakaya/bamboo/nakaya%20in%20box%20@1200.jpg

and the main event:

http://www.rhkoning.com/penpics/nakaya/bamboo/nakaya%20bamboo%20closed%20@1200.jpg

Gorgeous Ruud!

Enjoy in good health!

Out of interest: how friendly and accommodating were Nakaya regarding a visit?

Too many pens; too little writing.

Gorgeous Ruud!

Enjoy in good health!

Out of interest: how friendly and accommodating were Nakaya regarding a visit?

I met mr Yoshida during a pen fair in Mitsokoshi department store. As Nakaya does not have a store, I think an appointment setup by email is necessary. Note that the people answering emails are perhaps more comfortable speaking English than the craftsmen.

Just short of 9 month from the order date, my pen arrived at Classic Fountain Pens. It's queued up for a regrind (soft M to flexible OF), and, with a little bit of luck, I might have my custom Heki Naka-ai in my hands by Friday. Whoopee and stuff like that...

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

Just short of 9 month from the order date, my pen arrived at Classic Fountain Pens. It's queued up for a regrind (soft M to flexible OF), and, with a little bit of luck, I might have my custom Heki Naka-ai in my hands by Friday. Whoopee and stuff like that...

Bear in mind that the pen does not exist without photographs posted to this thread :lol:

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

Bear in mind that the pen does not exist without photographs posted to this thread :lol:

The pen is on the way... Friday by end of day. Photos to follow next week.

I got notice on my way out of town a few days ago that my Dorsal Fin 1 with Makie-e lotus flower on the section and Kanji is in...after just 4 months!!!!

It could even be here tomorrow (yes I had Mrs. WO call with the credit card from the car as we were leaving for a remote area with no cell or Internet service). I got notice on our return that the nib was done (.9mm smooth CI, slightly wet at 6-7/10) and the package shipped...I am thrilled, and excited!...and surprised!

Edited by WOBentley

I got notice on my way out of town a few days ago that my Dorsal Fin 1 with Makie-e lotus flower on the section and Kanji is in...after just 4 months!!!!

It could even be here tomorrow (yes I had Mrs. WO call with the credit card from the car as we were leaving for a remote area with no cell or Internet service). I got notice on our return that the nib was done (.9mm smooth CI, slightly wet at 6-7/10) and the package shipped...I am thrilled, and excited!...and surprised!

Congratulations! We look forward to photos and a writing sample.