Review: Platinum 3776 Century Sf (Soft-Fine) Versus A Field Of Flex Comparison

terminal

Thanks for the reply, I took the plunge and bought a #3776 with an sf nib.

My initial impression of the pen is that I'm a bit disappointed, for a pen of this price the construction is good but the material is plastic and feels a little cheap, my Parson's essential feels better made to me. The nib is smooth and has a nice spring that makes writing feel cushioned, the flex gives a tiny bit of line variation but nothing major, the line is very thin and thinner than my Twsbi mini EF nib. My Conway Stewart 84 gives far more line variation but the #3776 feels a nicer nib on paper as it's smoother.

I'm hoping the pen will grow on me as I don't fancy spending twice the money on a falcon as I think I'd be afraid to use a £200 pen for drawing :)

Yeah I completely agree on the plastic. What do you think of the SF for drawing? Is your only disappointment only with the plastic?

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• terminal

• andymcc

• rudyhou

• mongrelnomad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah I completely agree on the plastic. What do you think of the SF for drawing? Is your only disappointment only with the plastic?

So far the plastic is the only negative, the nib is the smoothest, finest nib I've ever used. I only had a chance to try a few quick sketches yesterday but I was impressed with the nib, the super fine line shows every wobble which means learning to hold the pen slightly differently to keep my hand steady(drawing from the shoulder helped too) but it's a big plus as over time it'll mean my drawings improve. I found the line variation to be less thickness but more that the pen lays down more ink when you press, this does give the impression of varying lines though which is what I wanted in my drawings.

At some point in the future(maybe when I sell a painting or two) I might still consider the falcon but for now I'm OK with the #3776 and I'll see what I can do with it over the coming weeks :)

So far the plastic is the only negative, the nib is the smoothest, finest nib I've ever used. I only had a chance to try a few quick sketches yesterday but I was impressed with the nib, the super fine line shows every wobble which means learning to hold the pen slightly differently to keep my hand steady(drawing from the shoulder helped too) but it's a big plus as over time it'll mean my drawings improve. I found the line variation to be less thickness but more that the pen lays down more ink when you press, this does give the impression of varying lines though which is what I wanted in my drawings.

At some point in the future(maybe when I sell a painting or two) I might still consider the falcon but for now I'm OK with the #3776 and I'll see what I can do with it over the coming weeks :)

Yeah, the nib is really the star of this show, isn't it. Meantime I need to try drawing with the Falcon. Again, though, the one I have is the broad so it might not be a good comparison. Some day I may pick up a fine Falcon... it'd be fun to see some of the work you're doing with the 3776, if you ever feel like posting it :)

Great super-review, Terminal. Lots of fun. I loled when the Waterman came out because I was thinkg the whole time, "wait 'till they get that old girl in there to show them how it's really done"! Like you said, Waterman flex is in a different league altogether. Now, "spring" and semi-flex certainly have their place in my rotation, so the review was very useful too. For now, the Platinum SF gets bumped off my queue and any Sailor with Emperor tab goes in (your fault too).

Keep these coming, please.

Great super-review, Terminal. Lots of fun. I loled when the Waterman came out because I was thinkg the whole time, "wait 'till they get that old girl in there to show them how it's really done"! Like you said, Waterman flex is in a different league altogether. Now, "spring" and semi-flex certainly have their place in my rotation, so the review was very useful too. For now, the Platinum SF gets bumped off my queue and any Sailor with Emperor tab goes in (your fault too).

Keep these coming, please.

LOL! That's really funny about the Waterman. Yeah, I mean, I sure wouldn't try to daily carry that 52 (though people did once upon) and I have to be pretty careful not to spring it too. As far as the Emperor and this 3776, frankly, there is no comparison... but they are in different price brackets too. I guess it depends on what else is on your list...

THanks so much for the great feedback!!

A little late but I'm finally posting a couple of sketches done with the #3776 :)

I had an issue with the nib and after inspection I realised the tines were slightly out of alignment, with a nib so tiny my loupe isn't really powerful enough but it was just about adequate, after a while I got the tines lined up and the nib is now even smoother. I've also had to look at the paper I use as the cheapo paper I use for my daily drawing warm up is a bit rough for the #3776 so the sketches below are on different paper, I think I've narrowed the best paper down to Strathmore 400 drawing or Fabriano Acedemia.

Anyway enough waffle here's the pic's. The first is a small(4"x2") Pontormo copy and the second is a Michelangelo (7"x5") I used Bristol board for this and gave it a rough wash of watercolour as I don't like bright white paper. The super fine nib means that I'm having to learn to work differently but that's part of the fun :D

post-93023-0-10114800-1375036395_thumb.jpg

post-93023-0-03089000-1375036419_thumb.jpg

Finally a sketch done with a different pen (I forget which but think it was a Kaweco AL Raw), this is about A3 size.

post-93023-0-54833200-1375036567_thumb.jpg

I think once I sell a few paintings I'll probably treat myself to a Falcon next (I may be waiting a while :lol: ) as the #3776 has very little flex and although there is a slight difference when flexing it's really more a tonal difference as the pen lays more ink, it's still different to other pens and a really nice pen to write/draw with though :D

EDIT:

I found a couple of photos of older drawings so I thought I'd add them, I forget which pens I used for these but I think it was my Ahab.

First picture is Sea Sick Steve and the second is rock God Lemmy B)

post-93023-0-33305100-1375036955_thumb.jpg

post-93023-0-24784000-1375036969_thumb.jpg

Edited by andymcc

Wow those are great, I especially love the Lenny! Do you find yourself using the variation the Ahab has to offer when you draw with it more than the 3776 and the Kaweco? FWIW I like the work you did with the 3776 too...

Thank you :D

I found the flex of the Ahab difficult to use when drawing so it's spent the last 7-8 months in my pen box, this year I've been using more vintage pens and getting into flex more so I'll probably dig the Ahab out and try it again soon...if I can put the #3776 and my Kaweco AL Raw down that is ;)

Wonderful comparative review, terminal, enjoyed every bit of it. Thanks! Your experience with 3776 matches mine; I too am impressed with nib&feed combo and smooth and dependable flow. It's a great pen that just keeps working and is a joy to use.

Although I see that Andy already bought the pen while I discovered this thread, I would still jump in with my experiences of drawing with it, as it is my main sketch pen for about two years now. Let's get the first thing out of the way - NO, it it not a match for vintage flex. I also draw with vintage Waterman 12 and Platinum simply cannot give the same ease of flex or as dramatic line variation. But it was not meant to be a match in the first place, and it's strength lies elsewhere, notably in fine line and smooth flow without skips, rail-roadings or dry starts.

Do work it out a bit, Andy; mine needed a bit of breaking in, and settled after some week or two of regular drawing. It became my go to pen with time, even though I tried others regularly. To me, it's worlds apart from Ahab, which can give a broader line in the end, but looses on any other front. Ahab is nowhere near as pleasant or dependable in operation (I have a fairly extensive four-part drawing review of Ahab here: http://www.pictogramax.com/2011/12/01/ahab-arrives/ )

So, if you are into the strongest line variation, you will eventually look for a vintage pen. But if you value a smooth-gliding-fine liner with a bit of line variation, to compliment with wash, watercolors or heavier brush strokes (as making a team with Pentel Pocket Brush), it is a great option that I would personally recommend to any sketcher. As you already bought it, there's no need to persuade you; maybe just inspire you to give it a bit of time and additional work-out.

http://www.pictogramax.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/PICTOGRAMAX-ESQUISE-DE-JOUR-110919.jpg

http://www.pictogramax.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/PICTOGRAMAX-2013-02-10-AMELIE.jpg

http://www.pictogramax.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/PICTOGRAMAX-ESQUISSE-DE-JOUR-2013-05-03.jpghttp://www.pictogramax.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/PICTOGRAMAX-ESQUISSE-DE-JOUR-121020.jpg

http://www.pictogramax.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/PICTOGRAMAX-ESQUISE-DE-JOUR-110922.jpghttp://www.pictogramax.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/PICTOGRAMAX-ESQUISE-DE-JOUR-120319.jpg

Lovely drawings @pictogramax! Thank you for sharing.

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Wow... very detailed comparison! I'm really tempted by the Platinum SF. It feels better than the normal Platinum nibs cause of the springiness. I tried a M1005 and it felt springy too. Way more than usual Pelikans...

Pictogramex: you're right about the flex, my vintage pens are far more flexible, i find the #3776 is so much smoother and starts first time too, it's also a lot easier to flex than the Ahab. I was hoping the pen would break in with use so it's good to hear that's the case. As you said I'm already finding it's the pen I reach for when sketching, the wet lines and smooth, cushioned feel is so nice to use.

Nice drawings too :)

Thanks, everyone! Andy, I guess maybe you'll come to the same conclusion regarding 3776 - while it cannot do everything, what it can do it does exceptionally well. Enjoy your pen and share more of your lovely drawings.

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic comparison!! :notworthy1:

Thank you! I'm still using the 3776 SF every day and turning this over in my mind. Nothing to change though...

Haha thank you!! It would have been better had I had your handwriting :D

Though, on the other hand, I get the impression sometimes you could make stuff like with with a Bic...

• 10 months later...

thank you a very useful discussion, great photos and beautiful penmanship. I am envious.

A little late but I'm finally posting a couple of sketches done with the #3776 :)

I had an issue with the nib and after inspection I realised the tines were slightly out of alignment, with a nib so tiny my loupe isn't really powerful enough but it was just about adequate, after a while I got the tines lined up and the nib is now even smoother. I've also had to look at the paper I use as the cheapo paper I use for my daily drawing warm up is a bit rough for the #3776 so the sketches below are on different paper, I think I've narrowed the best paper down to Strathmore 400 drawing or Fabriano Acedemia.

Anyway enough waffle here's the pic's. The first is a small(4"x2") Pontormo copy and the second is a Michelangelo (7"x5") I used Bristol board for this and gave it a rough wash of watercolour as I don't like bright white paper. The super fine nib means that I'm having to learn to work differently but that's part of the fun :D

attachicon.gifPontormo S.jpg

attachicon.gifMichelangelo.jpg

Finally a sketch done with a different pen (I forget which but think it was a Kaweco AL Raw), this is about A3 size.

attachicon.gifLeadbelly.jpg

I think once I sell a few paintings I'll probably treat myself to a Falcon next (I may be waiting a while :lol: ) as the #3776 has very little flex and although there is a slight difference when flexing it's really more a tonal difference as the pen lays more ink, it's still different to other pens and a really nice pen to write/draw with though :D

EDIT:

I found a couple of photos of older drawings so I thought I'd add them, I forget which pens I used for these but I think it was my Ahab.

First picture is Sea Sick Steve and the second is rock God Lemmy B)

attachicon.gif25 Seasick Steve S.jpg

attachicon.gif23 Lemmy S.jpg

awesome sketches! :thumbup:

-rudy-