Staples Arc Punch Vs Levenger Circa Leverage Punch

WARRZONE

Does anyone own or has anyone owned these hole punchers. I just bought the Staples Arc punch. I have heard that the Levenger Circa punch punches a bigger hole, so it is easier to turn the pages when installed. Is it true that it punches a bigger hole than the Staples brand Arc puncher, or is the hole the same size?

Price is not an issue. I will get whichever one functions better. Will the Levenger last a long time, or is it just an expensive piece of junk? With the Levenger Circa Leverage punch, I estimate I can fit about 10 pages to punch at once (I will use 32 lb bond / 120 gsm). With the Staples Arc punch, I can only fit about 7 pages to punch at once, and most of the pages have come out slanted. I may have gotten a defective one. The slanted-ness may have been affecting the ease of page-turning and making it tougher, maybe even more so than the small holes. Should I be exchanging or returning?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WARRZONE

• Daisy25

• mberman14

• my63

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi

I have the staples arc punch like you I wanted the best product.

I spent some time reading about these punches, There was nothing to say that one was better than the other.

Mine works perfectly pages turn without issue, I would have a word with your local branch and get them to check your replacement works before you accept the exchange.

Regards

Michael

Edited by my63

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

I have the Staples Arc punch. If I get a slant on the cut, it's because I've let the paper slip a little as I'm punching down. If that isn't the issue for you, I'd suggest getting a replacement exchange.

I'm curious to hear if anyone says the Levenger works better. For me, I get the easiest turning of the pages when I use a higher quality paper, one that is a little heavier and stiffer. Cheap printer paper works; it just doesn't move quite as easily. That's no doubt why the paper that comes with the notebooks is a stiffer paper.

I love using these notebooks for teaching. It's so easy to combine both the staples I need to carry every day (policy statement, syllabus) with the pages I need only for a short time (current assignments, current handouts, daily class plan). Very neat. Very organized. (And when it comes to organization, I need all the help I can get).

That said, I don't think the notebooks work as well for something that I want to be flipping through a lot and quickly.

Edited by Daisy25

My Pen Wraps and Sleeves for Sale Here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/DaisyFair

Add me to the Staples ARC user list. It has worked very well during the last six months or so. Ditto on the "coming out crooked" assessment from "Daisy25".

One thing that I have done, which no one else has mentioned, so far is, I have reused existing partitions, separators, vinyl pockets pages and anything that is either un-punched or 3 hole punched in my ARC. If it fits into the ARC punch, I will punch and use it. This allows me to "recycle" dividers and older stuff, rather then spending the money and buying new stuff.

I addition, I purchased the larger discs from Staples and then punched regular heavy duty vinyl sheets to use as another notebook.

I just ordered a new calendar/scheduling system called the "Uncalendar" with unpunched paper and will be using it with my ARC system. Yes, it will be a bit of a pain to do all that punching but I will save all the little punches and use the on New Years Eve in place of confetti :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

The punch really is the key to unlimited flexibility in building one's own system for anything "note-booked".

Finally, I think that the "strongest" Levenger punch can handle 15 pages - paper weight not noted - and sells for $79.00. The Staples ARC punch seems to have a limit of 8-10 sheets depending on weight and costs $40.00 with a possible discount of 15-40%, depending on when you buy it. So, it's possible to get an ARC punch for maybe $25/30.00 vs the Circa punch for $ 70/80.00. That's a lot of additional paper imho. On top of that, if you are located near a Staples store (closest to me is 15 miles - free parking), it's a lot easier to exchange/replace your punch rather than send it back to Levengers in Florida or their closest store (which for me is about 50 miles with tolls and paid parking costs).

Well, that's my .02 cents! Please note - no affiliation!!!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I have a Leverage punch since it took over a year for staples in Canada to make the Arc punches available and I was too impatient to wait. The Leverage was expensive but it is very well built. It is very large for a punch. I think it would handle the heavy weight paper better than the staples punches.

One thing that I have done, which no one else has mentioned, so far is, I have reused existing partitions, separators, vinyl pockets pages and anything that is either un-punched or 3 hole punched in my ARC. If it fits into the ARC punch, I will punch and use it. This allows me to "recycle" dividers and older stuff, rather then spending the money and buying new stuff.

I addition, I purchased the larger discs from Staples and then punched regular heavy duty vinyl sheets to use as another notebook.

I have done this too. With pockets that were punched for three ring binders, I simply taped the old holes shut and then punched in in the ARC. I found those fit regular sized printer paper better than the ARC pockets you can buy (I find them too tight a fit to use comfortably).

Since I'm a quilter, I'm very (very) familiar with quilt supplies. I've cut down heavy duty template plastic to make my own covers as well. I found if I didn't have a good stiff outer cover, it would come lose from the discs.

I can't use the system for everything, but where it works for me, it does so excellently well.

Thanks for the replies. I actually didn't expect so many to favor the Arc punch. I will go back to the store to see if the other one is operational (there were only 2 to choose from). Brgmarketing, I used the 25% off coupon that was printed randomly from the register on the bottom of the Staples receipt. If I got the Leverage punch, it would be from the Levenger Outlet if I could find one.

I have the Levenger punch, got it off eBay for about half the retail price. It was advertised as lightly used, but looked like new and works like a charm. It's built like a tank, very sturdy. I've never tried the Arc punch, so I can't say anything about that one.

Recently (I think since last month or so) Levenger has a new edition desk punch with one difference: the new one has paper guides that include A4 and A5. Depending on your needs, that may be something to keep in mind.

WTB: Waterman Carene Royal Violet

I have both -- this Circa punch from Levenger, and this Arc punch from Staples. Both work well -- the Arc punches more sheets at a time, the Circa is heavier, all metal, and will probably last longer, though the Arc is doing quite well so far. I use the Arc in my classroom because it does more sheets at one time, and the Circa at home.

I believe that a lot of this discussion needs to reference the older Circa punches, which did indeed have a smaller punchhole, or "smurf" than the current models. Older Circa user-punched paper sometimes could bind on the Levenger disks, and after Levenger had a number of customer comments (see here), their punch was modified. Buyers of used Circa punches should always consider if the used punch is the previous model or the more recent one.

I have both a "modern" Circa punch (the desk model, not the "leverage punch" model), and the Arc punch (the desktop punch), both of which provide similarly sized holes (I admittedly have not taken a caliper to determine this to a much finer level of discrimination). I would hypothesise that Staples modeled their more recently released Arc punch after the newer Circa smurf-punch size hit the market.

In short, buy the one which most appeals to you and/or has the better price, and the results should be more than adequate.

John P.

Hello

First of all I would like to thank Daisy25 for the tip on Quilter's template plastic. JoAnne fabrics had it on sale 50% off yesterday. Exactly what I was looking for to make a back cover for a new journal cover. I also think it would work as a mat between pages when one writes.

Back to the punches, my Arc lever punch has stops for A5 and A4 paper. Levenger just released their smaller capacity desk punch with these stops. It does not appear the Circa lever punch has this. Might or might not be important. This is being discussed here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/249272-levenger-circa-now-in-a4a5-sizes-too/

Edit, oops, misslucy107 has already mentioned this.

Edited by LinnT

I love my medium size Levenger. I normally hate paying Levenger prices, in this case it was worth it.

Hello

First of all I would like to thank Daisy25 for the tip on Quilter's template plastic. JoAnne fabrics had it on sale 50% off yesterday. Exactly what I was looking for to make a back cover for a new journal cover. I also think it would work as a mat between pages when one writes.

Back to the punches, my Arc lever punch has stops for A5 and A4 paper. Levenger just released their smaller capacity desk punch with these stops. It does not appear the Circa lever punch has this. Might or might not be important. This is being discussed here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/249272-levenger-circa-now-in-a4a5-sizes-too/

Edit, oops, misslucy107 has already mentioned this.

That's too bad. I wish the Leverage had the A4 and A5 markings like the Arc. Personally, I think I will go with the Levenger Leverage punch just because it will be able to handle about 12 pages at once, and the Arc can only handle 7 (I use 32 lb bond). The Arc empties out nicely though, and I wish Staples had a heavy duty version. I'm pretty sure the Arc punch is a rebranded Rollabind.

Edited by WARRZONE

I bought the Levenger Leverage punch, and it makes a huge difefrence. If I had to put a number on it, I would say it is 5x better than the Arc, although I only paid 2x the price for it. Here are some pictures to try and illustrate why the Levenger punch is so much better. The notebook is a leather Arc notebook, which is great.

Levenger vs Arc Punch Hole Comparison (Levenger left, Arc right):

post-105383-0-14976100-1375057101_thumb.jpg

Arc Punched Page Turning:

post-105383-0-53412100-1375057097_thumb.jpg

Arc Stock Page Turning:

post-105383-0-58913000-1375057099_thumb.jpg

Levenger Punched Page Turning:

post-105383-0-34805800-1375057104_thumb.jpg

As you can see, pages are much easier to turn due to the Levenger punch's larger holes. The pages are also eaiser to insert as well. I decided to put this up because I am sure other people are searching for it as I was. Hope this helps.

I bought the Levenger Leverage punch, and it makes a huge difefrence. If I had to put a number on it, I would say it is 5x better than the Arc, although I only paid 2x the price for it. Here are some pictures to try and illustrate why the Levenger punch is so much better. The notebook is a leather Arc notebook, which is great.

Levenger vs Arc Punch Hole Comparison (Levenger left, Arc right):

attachicon.gifLevenger and Arc Punch Hole Comparison.JPG

Arc Punched Page Turning:

attachicon.gifArc Punched Page Turning.JPG

Arc Stock Page Turning:

attachicon.gifArc Stock Page Turning.JPG

Levenger Punched Page Turning:

attachicon.gifLevenger Punched Page.JPG

As you can see, pages are much easier to turn due to the Levenger punch's larger holes. The pages are also eaiser to insert as well. I decided to put this up because I am sure other people are searching for it as I was. Hope this helps.

That is interesting. I have the ARC punch (as noted above) but the size difference on the punches is impressive. I can see where it makes for easier page turning.

• 11 months later...

I received the Lavenger punch and tried it in some parchment paper I had lying around. I was rushing through the process at 11 PM last night to see how they came out and had some mishaps but the thing works--although not many sheets of the parchment paper could be punched at once. Misaligment of the thick pages caused me to miss the edge and holes were partly made, so I made thenm again in the other side.... I added the parchment paper to the ARC notebook and now I have some place to practice my penmanship and draw. It will be done properly next tim but it is a fine system I don't regret investing in.

• 3 years later...

To add another option here -- it looks like the TUL punch from Office Depot is very similar to the "Circa Universal Desk Punch" from Levenger. The Levenger paper guide is different (it has pre-set sizes for Levenger notebooks, whereas the TUL has a ruler), but the actual punch mechanism looks exactly the same.

If they are functionally identical, then $35 for the TUL punch is quite a deal compared with $52 from Levenger -- and the Office Depot site keeps popping up a 20% discount code.

(This is an old thread, but appears to be the most recent one talking about punches -- hopefully the right place to post this. New to the forum.)

The Circa punch punches a bigger mushroom cap, but the stem portion is the same on both. It does make the page slightly easier to turn, but the difference is a matter of taste more than anything.

As for the slanted pages, you may have some paper stuck in the punch blocking the slot and keeping the page from going in all the way. That used to happen to me with three-hole punches.

Conan the Grammarian

“No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film.” ~ Robert Adams

“Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Cogito ergo spud. [i think therefore I yam.]