Rotring 600 Visual Guide

JPS_Rotring

May I make an enquiry? I have one of the newer Parker Facet Triopens that are based on the original Rotring 600 or perhaps Newton? Forgive me if I have wrong. All I would like to know is how do I replace the refills in the Trio style pen. I understand that they are D1 refills. Do they unscrew? What about the pencil section? Is that a disposable item or is it refilled with standard MP leads?

I will say that these new Parker incarnations of the original Rotring are not of very good quality at all. What on earth is going on with Parker these days?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JPS_Rotring

• 9tailsfox

• The Blue Knight

• ruben50

Thanks to yr guide, Ive understood that what I purchased on ebay as a (used) Rotring 600 fountain pen is actually a Rotring Newton (with a Fine steel nib)

My problem is that I have not been able to get this pen to write fluently. Ive flushed it, aligned the tines, run brass shim stock between the tines, etc. but the pen remains a stingy, skippy, dry writer.

Someone told me that the nibs on these pens can be removed and replaced in the same way (and as easily) as the nibs on Lamy pens. Is this true?

Im hoping that installing a broader nib (a stub italic, for example) will make this pen a better writer.

Thanks for any light you can shed !

• 3 years later...

On 10/17/2017 at 3:45 AM, levyg said:

Someone told me that the nibs on these pens can be removed and replaced in the same way (and as easily) as the nibs on Lamy pens. Is this true?

Im hoping that installing a broader nib (a stub italic, for example) will make this pen a better writer.

The nib units on rOtring 600, Newton and the Levenger branded pens are really not meant to be taken apart. They are friction fit but if you are lucky (have a section/feed free of internal fouling such as residual ink etc.), vou might be able to pull the nib and feed out intact. I have destroyed one feed in the process of trying to do that exactly.

Also, there are no stubs or italics for those pens unless they were custom ground. The 600, for example, came with EF, F, M, OM, B, OB and BB, all of which are pretty much monoline nibs with little to no natural line variation.

The broader ones (mine are Broad) are the smoothest nibs I've ever encountered though and kind of perfect nails with good flow.

It might be wortwhile to try to source a B/BB nib Newton and sell the F if you want to keep the costs down. Or... buy one of the same color and just swap the sections between the pens etc.

• 2 years later...

the 2nd gen Rotring 600 fountain pens, why do the caps only fit on the body at an exact point? Is this part of the design to protect the nib? It seems to me quite inconvenient as considerable attention must be paid to simply cap the dang thing.

• 6 months later...
On 7/29/2013 at 5:03 PM, Filipson said:

I have seen some Rotring "newton" pens with "Germany" laser-incscribed on the pen/pocket-clip (where the pocket clip connects to the pen shaft). But some Rotring "newton" pens do not have any laser-inscription on the pen/pocket-clip.

Sorry I don't have any pictures. If I can find one, I will post a picture of what I mean.

Here's a pen that resembles the Newton in all respects, except for the "Germany" imprint on the pocket clip.

rotring800_silver_med_1.jpg

I love Rotring writing Instruments. I got into collect many pens and pencils. But until recently I got the chance to buy my first ROTRING 600 Fountain pen. I guess it is the First generation pen with a Steel nib. I can't tell anything more as it has not come to me yet . But It'll be there within a day or so soon. This pen come as a set of Rotring 600- Pencil ball point and the Fountain pen. It seem to be a lucky buy this time.  I already have a 600 pencil. 600 clutch pencil and 500 pencil . They are great instruments. 

I'll post some images when wary pen and pencils is back to me. 

This is great thread on Rptring ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2024 at 11:17 AM, Inkyways said:

I love Rotring writing Instruments. I got into collect many pens and pencils. But until recently I got the chance to buy my first ROTRING 600 Fountain pen. I guess it is the First generation pen with a Steel nib. I can't tell anything more as it has not come to me yet . But It'll be there within a day or so soon. This pen come as a set of Rotring 600- Pencil ball point and the Fountain pen. It seem to be a lucky buy this time.  I already have a 600 pencil. 600 clutch pencil and 500 pencil . They are great instruments. 

I'll post some images when wary pen and pencils is back to me. 

This is great thread on Rptring ...

Aside from the subtleties of the red rings and the knurling, I think only the first version of the 600 has "L" as one of the nib choices in the top of the cap selector. We just acquired a silver one and a black one, and this is the first time I've seen the "L".