• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JPS_Rotring

• 9tailsfox

• The Blue Knight

• ruben50

But possible paint on? Coz some owner stated their earlier Rotring 600 trio is paint on. Later version of Rotring 600 is rubber like other Ballpoint and fountain pen. If do this could be the one and only rotring 600 series pure 100% metal made. thanks

Sorry for keep asking question Rotring 600 trio. But I need to find out whats annoy my curiosity and I know you are more knowing about early rotring 600 other than they do. So question is, I search rotring 600 online and accidently found these pictures.... Often we saw blue,red,07 pencil. But this seems like a rare piece and It is Rotring 600 Trio Black, 0.5 pencil, red (I think). So do they really exist?are they from 80's or 90's after sold to Sanford? Thanks

post-105674-0-94130400-1379518437.jpg

post-105674-0-52355100-1379518469.jpg

post-105674-0-60997300-1379518492.jpg

post-105674-0-38181700-1379518515.jpg

that's a variant I've never heard of, but I would go so far as to doubt it was produced this way. The biggest quirk for me seems to be the box and the booklet - that is and end of production variant. The circle marking instead of full color dots, puts the pen at the beginning - so I doubt it was delivered this way. I've never seen or read about a 0,5 variant, even the official catalogues don't list anything like that. I would go so far as to call it a hack job by levenger, 0,5 inserts were available and the 0.5 print uses a dot instead of a comma - germans don't write that way. It would have to be japan or us made.

Another pictures I found silver Rotring 600 Black,0.5,Red version.

this is the seller informations

Shipping is free to put the letter pack. Is the name of machine Rotring600. It is of course complete goods. Feature red pen, black pen, mechanical pencil of (0.5mm) is locked when you push it down on the color mark. It will be canceled by clicking the top. There is also a weight and body, robust made ​​of metal, it is very easy to use. I still can write and Penn all. It was high enough to not believe.

But I wondering is it made in German but for Japan or USA Market? thanks

post-105674-0-41668300-1379550976.jpg

post-105674-0-83424300-1379550989.jpg

post-105674-0-82141800-1379551000.jpg

Edited by 9tailsfox

Base in the picture

that's a variant I've never heard of, but I would go so far as to doubt it was produced this way. The biggest quirk for me seems to be the box and the booklet - that is and end of production variant. The circle marking instead of full color dots, puts the pen at the beginning - so I doubt it was delivered this way. I've never seen or read about a 0,5 variant, even the official catalogues don't list anything like that. I would go so far as to call it a hack job by levenger, 0,5 inserts were available and the 0.5 print uses a dot instead of a comma - germans don't write that way. It would have to be japan or us made.

But base in the picture the Red ring (Rotring) possible paint on? this looks like second generation. I asked some owner and he claim and confirm to me that his rotring 600 trio second generation red ring is paint on... Just would like to know the truth is it possible paint on? thanks

Sorry for asking too many question at the same time. I wondering Why some of the knurled handle are different. See the pictures, please tell me which one is the earlier release or both were the same just different running productions. Rotring 600 ballpoint and Rotring 600 Trio. Thanks

post-105674-0-46801000-1379697390.jpg

post-105674-0-44998300-1379697853_thumb.jpg

post-105674-0-77324200-1379697956.jpg

post-105674-0-42691100-1379698390.jpg

post-105674-0-96333600-1379698427.jpg

post-105674-0-15985500-1379698463.jpg

post-105674-0-63892100-1379698705_thumb.jpg

post-105674-0-13960400-1379698787_thumb.jpg

Edited by 9tailsfox

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great review. The pictures you added really helped me when purchasing this set I found on ebay. Just ordered today for $120 and the set comes with FP, MP, and RB all in black. I had the seller send me a couple more pics just to verify condition of the nib and what generation it was. From what you posted above, they look to be gen3.

I purchased a Levenger L-Tech a month ago and am real happy with its performance. In reading your post and several others, they are supposed to be similar and the fact that Rotring disco'd the 600 FP made me snagging up this writing instament all the more easier.

Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that.
-George Carlin
http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.pngfpn_1327044342__postcard_pic_exchange.jp

Thanks for the great review. The pictures you added really helped me when purchasing this set I found on ebay. Just ordered today for $120 and the set comes with FP, MP, and RB all in black. I had the seller send me a couple more pics just to verify condition of the nib and what generation it was. From what you posted above, they look to be gen3.

I purchased a Levenger L-Tech a month ago and am real happy with its performance. In reading your post and several others, they are supposed to be similar and the fact that Rotring disco'd the 600 FP made me snagging up this writing instament all the more easier.

I'm happy for you but can stop wondering why you only paid 120$, the normal price is much higher, the fountain pen alone can easily go for over 150$. Is the condition of the pen so bad or did you just have a stroke of luck?

I'm happy for you but can stop wondering why you only paid 120$, the normal price is much higher, the fountain pen alone can easily go for over 150$. Is the condition of the pen so bad or did you just have a stroke of luck?

I'm thinking it was a stroke of luck. They are used and show a little ware but not bad at all.

Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that.
-George Carlin
http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.pngfpn_1327044342__postcard_pic_exchange.jp

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone has a broken rotring pen and could spare the fountain pen cap I would greatly appreciate it. I bought one and it's missing the red rotring circle.

• 2 weeks later...

Ruben50, is there any flex to your stainless nib in the Levinger L-Tech, please?

JPS-Rotring, many thanks for all your input -- fascinating! Of course, I am sad to learn that what I own is likely a Newton (no hatching on the grip section). Mine is matte-silver coloured, has 18ct nib (not enough flex for me) and has Rotring laser-etched into the spring clip. The cap is also tipped in gold (deep, not shallow). No nib-size window on the spring-clip, either.

I know this is not the classifieds page; but if anyone is interested in a gold-nibbed Newton FP, please PM me...I would sell mine. It is in decent condition, with one minor scuff mark on clip that will polish out.

Ruben50, is there any flex to your stainless nib in the Levinger L-Tech, please?

JPS-Rotring, many thanks for all your input -- fascinating! Of course, I am sad to learn that what I own is likely a Newton (no hatching on the grip section). Mine is matte-silver coloured, has 18ct nib (not enough flex for me) and has Rotring laser-etched into the spring clip. The cap is also tipped in gold (deep, not shallow). No nib-size window on the spring-clip, either.

I know this is not the classifieds page; but if anyone is interested in a gold-nibbed Newton FP, please PM me...I would sell mine. It is in decent condition, with one minor scuff mark on clip that will polish out.

Not that I have noticed Christopher since the ink I originally used was extremely wet. I just swapped it out with Noodler's black with has tamed it, so I will run down and give it a try. I'll report back shortly. I am also in the processed of modifying a black Monteverde 1.1 mm italic stub nib for use on this pen to complete the stealth look. The nib looks to be a #5 and I have a #6 to play with.

Rube

-George Carlin

Hi,

If not mentioned earlier, the L-tech is a very different pen from anything Rotring. While it takes some ideas from the 600, the pen itself is seven sized, not six-sided and not as high quality. I think it may be from Taiwan, but I'm not really sure.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Dillon,

The L-Tech is made in Taiwan. Just checked the box it came in. It is also a little thicker than my Rotring 600. I primarily use my L-Tech for writing and I use my Rotring for engineering design. The fine tip on the 600 maked it easier for me to get detailed with my drawings.

Christopher,

As far as the flex goes, there is some but not as much as an Ahab or Konrad if looking for a steel nib. It looks to be taking it from a M to a 1.1 mm at peak flex. I hope that helps.

Rube

-George Carlin

Thanks, Ruben! (I do get the impression that steel nibs <can> certainly be as flexible as 14ct gold...)

Edited by Christopher Godfrey

So, for those who've liked the rOtring 600 or 800 series or Newtons, or Levenger's L-Tech or Retro1951's Hex-o-matic, have you seen the Apollo Technical Pen and Drafting Scale kickstarter project? It's a pen or set of pens with a familiar form factor, and then the project creators also added a drafting scale which can also double as a pen holder.

I thought it was a neat variation or new take on the style. Thoughts?

Looks good. I especially like the scale/transport case. Since the are giving the option for upgrades, I wonder if they will eventually offer a F or EF FP nib. I did not see it in the list of optional upgrades. The pens look great.

-George Carlin

• 1 month later...

Hi all, very interesting thread for sure. I have a couple 600s (and I guess Newtons that I travel with, I'm now learning!) I've taken a quick photo of a subset of my collection... and have a couple questions for you experts...

Third from the left, is that a 600 or a Newton? It is more similar to the 600 on the left than the Newton on the right, but it's length and bottom end more resembles the Newton to the right (except it's knurled).

Is the ball point a 600? I don't really like that one.

Is the first lead holder on the left a 600? It doesn't have a label, obviously.

Nice to find this community for sure, and like minded people.

http://s9.postimg.org/z7gyttgdb/photo_1.jpg

The easiest way to distinguish between a 600 variant and a newton is the nib. The 600 has "harder" shoulders, the Newton is smaller and shaped more like an oval.

From left to right:

Rotring 600 Gold Second Edition

Rotring 600 Rollerball First Edition

Rotring 600 Levenger transitional

Rotring Newton Rollerball Gold

Rotring Newton

---

Rotring Newton Ballpoint

Rotring 600 Pencil 1-4th Edition variant for american market (most likely Levenger)

Rotring 600 Pencil 0,7 - 0,35 5-6th Edition (first edition was 0.3)