Diamine Salamander - An Overview

The Good Captain

Earlier this afternoon I was given the go-ahead by Phil at Diamine to post my humble scans and mediocre photos, of Diamine Salamander. So here they are! I refer you to my comments about the naming of the ink, here on Market Watch and the other shorter announcement here on Inky Thoughts, just for reference.

fpn_1373449908__diamine_salamander_02071

It's a dark olive/khaki sort-of colour and one that I think will be particularly popular. This general written test shows the general appearance, on a white Rhodia dot paper.

The next scans are done on my most usual papers and are reasonably self-explanatory. The only bit of feathering seems to be along the paper fibres of the Leuchtturm and Moleskine and this latter was the only one that exhibited any really 'awkward' bleed-through.

fpn_1373449940__diamine_salamander_leuch

fpn_1373449965__diamine_salamander_moles

fpn_1373449986__diamine_salamander_pukka

fpn_1373450003__diamine_salamander_rhodi

fpn_1373450025__diamine_salamander_rhodi

fpn_1373450079__diamine_salamander_rhodi

fpn_1373450107__diamine_salamander_rhodi

fpn_1373450129__diamine_salamander_rhodi

Next are the photographs which I took, to try and show the kind of thing that I referred to in one of my comments on the other Forums. There is a slight sheen when the ink is on papers like the Leuchtturm and Moleskine - well I reckon there is. However, I do not 'do' macro pictures - my professional photographic career was far more interesting! So I apologise for the quality. The only Photoshop correction I used throughout was on these snaps and that was 'Auto Contrast'. The scans are straight as they came out.

fpn_1373451451__salamander_leuchtturm_1-

fpn_1373451466__salamander_leuchtturm_2-

fpn_1373451482__salamander_leuchtturm_3-

fpn_1373451501__salamander_leuchtturm_4-

The four above are the Leuchtturm 1917.

fpn_1373451529__salamander_moleskine_1-f

fpn_1373451543__salamander_moleskine_2-f

These two are Moleskine.

fpn_1373451560__salamander_rhodia_1-fpn.

fpn_1373451577__salamander_rhodia_2-fpn.

The last two; Rhodia.

Not the best examples but there you go.

I really rate this ink and it's got something about it that I think will make it very popular.Reminiscent of Noodler's El Lawrence or Old Burma Road perhaps but I haven't got either of those. Perhaps a bit like Zhivago sometimes.

It dries really rather well on all these papers and has Diamine's typical wet flow and behaviour.

I can't give any more up-to-date information about availability but probably within about six to eight weeks.

Keep checking - I'll post when I know.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Good Captain

• Jared

• DanielCoffey

• swanjun

Glad to see the pictures are out at last!

This is an interesting ink---even darker than what I was imagining, but I guess that increases its versatility. And I'm glad you tested it out in the Leuchtturm 1917, since that's my current journal. It seems more brown in the Leuchtturm and more green on the Rhodia, is that right?

I wish I could get a closer look at this sheen in your pictures. Tell me, does it sparkle in sunlight, or is it more of a glowing effect?

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

I object! "... humble scans and mediocre photos" by no means. Thanks for this great review. Does remind me of a salamander. Or their Racing Green. I know the naming came from you, but what came first... the ink unnamed or your desire to issue exactly that colour?

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Great review and the ink seems to perform well. I hate the color.

I just don't like greens so there's more for the rest of you.

I object! "... humble scans and mediocre photos" by no means. Thanks for this great review. Does remind me of a salamander. Or their Racing Green. I know the naming came from you, but what came first... the ink unnamed or your desire to issue exactly that colour?

Mike

The ink unnamed. My original tester was just called 'No 93'. The rest is just - well, there it is.

Doesn't taste a bit like Twisted Spire though.

The Good Captain

Glad to see the pictures are out at last!

This is an interesting ink---even darker than what I was imagining, but I guess that increases its versatility. And I'm glad you tested it out in the Leuchtturm 1917, since that's my current journal. It seems more brown in the Leuchtturm and more green on the Rhodia, is that right?

I wish I could get a closer look at this sheen in your pictures. Tell me, does it sparkle in sunlight, or is it more of a glowing effect?

I would probably say a sparkle. Having mentioned it in the first comments, the colour change on the papers like Leuchtturm could be considered to be the effect of the paper colour. But in sunlight, when actually all the 'photos' were taken, there does seem to be a surface sheen. Most pronounced on the Moleskine which doesn't have the same paper surface 'quality' as the Leuchtturm does. I use the word 'surface' as I'm not referring to any other characteristics that people may, or may not, like about Moleskine. Personally, Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black works absolutely perfectly on Moleskine. But that's another thread and another story.

This is a fabulous Diamine ink: of course assuming that one likes the colour. I do because I like that kind of shade of green/brown. Let's see what people say once they have had the opportunity of trying it for themselves on their own favourite papers.

I've digressed a bit - Leuchtturm is my favourite notebook/journal paper too but the only one I didn't scan ic Clairefontaine 'Papier Veloute' 90gsm and that will follow tomorrow. Those are my favourite 'rambling' notebooks.

The Good Captain

Captain, thank you for updating us with the color pics. I love the color and have now added this to my "must have" list.

Nicely done. Thanks for the throughness of your review. When available I'm sure to get some.

When you have pen and ink, every problem needs a piece of paper.

Very nice review of an interesting ink that I will have to try. Looks alot like Noodlers V-Mail Burma Rd. Brown.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

Thank you Captain, that's another Diamine to add to my acquire list.

"In his physiognomy there were what seemed traces of many passions which his will had disciplined but which seemed to have frozen those features they had now ceased to animate."

Il Nome della Rosa, Umberto Eco

Wow, great review. Thank you.

Has GeoDuc seen this ink yet?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Wow, great review. Thank you.

Has GeoDuc seen this ink yet?

In response, in order; thanks and don't know.

Actually, I must ask, who is GeoDuc?

The Good Captain

It looks a *lot* like Rohrer & Klingner's 'Sepia' too...Stipula's Verde Muschato is a more intense, vintage shade of olive green

--maybe it has more yellow?