PrestoTenebroso

On Lexan (polycarbonate): It looks fabulous with the Platinum Preppy marker pen that it came with. It was an excellent color and it flows terrifically well with the marker pen and on the surface. It dries in seconds. I use it on my wall to write horizontally, and I have yet to have any issues with the marker drying out or skipping or fading out like normal, solvent-based markers do so frequently.

On glass: It doesn't dry as quickly as it does on Lexan, but it doesn't run at all. Excellent usability on a glass window or a glass table. (What I use it for.)

On Ziploc® bags: It dries, but wipes off.

On paper: This is what the bulk of the review is for. Nathan Tardiff's video on this ink was very thorough, and his findings were reproducible by me. Though the ink is advertised on the bottle as a usable fountain pen ink, I'd say the very properties that allow it work so well as a marker ink (especially when writing horizontally) make it a prohibitively wet flowing fountain pen ink.

It doesn't feather badly, but you can tell from its constant slight deviations from color uniformity that it benefits from being applied to a non-porous surface.

post-101589-0-68869100-1373599818_thumb.jpegpost-101589-0-32037500-1373599851_thumb.jpegpost-101589-0-93247500-1373599893_thumb.jpegpost-101589-0-79750700-1373599938_thumb.jpgpost-101589-0-69011100-1373600022_thumb.jpg

Summary: This isn't really a fountain pen ink, but if you can find the right pen, it might be workable if you want to get double utility from it. As you might be able to see from my tries with the Waterman 12, the Serwex and the Hero 266 (that last fine pen that the other inks were written with), it looks smoothest and best in the Waterman the occasional times when it wasn't overflowing and burping. The Waterman 12 is a great pen, and I have never had burping issues with it as an eyedropper before, and it was burping when it was practically full. The Hero 266 is usually a very powerful pen that writes an even, smooth, fine line, but even the Hero couldn't control the wetness of this.

I'm including the comparison with other blue inks so you can see it's relative potential. As you can see, Bluerase is taking it nice and easy while Baystate blue is content shouting louder than everybody else and tearing itself off the page.

I also thought that this blue's coolness would pair nicely with Noodler's Baystate Cape Cod Cranberry. What do you think? I suppose if I were an artist, I could probably exploit this. post-101589-0-84742700-1373600742_thumb.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• iliadodyssey

• PrestoTenebroso

• WaskiSquirrel

I've only tried one writing sample with paper, but I do most of my writing on the board (as a teacher) with this or blackerase. I really like the color of bluerase.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I purchased this ink during this past school year along with blackerase and find that it works quite well for writing, but is hard to get completely off of the board in my classroom. It seems to leave a slight blue tinge to the whiteboard that takes a bit more water to remove. The blackerase seems to come off of the board a bit easier than bluerase.

I purchased this ink during this past school year along with blackerase and find that it works quite well for writing, but is hard to get completely off of the board in my classroom. It seems to leave a slight blue tinge to the whiteboard that takes a bit more water to remove. The blackerase seems to come off of the board a bit easier than bluerase.

I've noticed that too. I use the black for my primary writing and the blue just for highlights.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 1 month later...

Hmm.... so it's fade resistant.

Have you tried writing over the old writing? I've found that with other dry erase markers I could erase all markings if the top marking were fairly fresh.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

It does not seem to completely dry on the board in my classroom. It can be smeared a bit even after weeks on the board. That said, it does not really come off of the board if someone brushes up against it (or a punk kid rubs their hand throughh the writing). It only really comes off with water. It can be easily written over though with the same color or with blackerase with no ill effects (unlike dry erase where the marker tips get clogged up by writing over dried marker)

It does not seem to completely dry on the board in my classroom. It can be smeared a bit even after weeks on the board. That said, it does not really come off of the board if someone brushes up against it (or a punk kid rubs their hand throughh the writing). It only really comes off with water. It can be easily written over though with the same color or with blackerase with no ill effects (unlike dry erase where the marker tips get clogged up by writing over dried marker)

Interesting.

BTW, what marker did you use?

Hmm.... so it's fade resistant.

Have you tried writing over the old writing? I've found that with other dry erase markers I could erase all markings if the top marking were fairly fresh.

I'd actually say the blue is NOT fade resistant. See the way the word "Scales" on the right is thinner and paler? That's the effect of sun and time. If given enough time, I think it would fade to the point where it just couldn't be seen, like the men who became the Ring Wraiths.

This works very nicely in a platinum preppy highliter. It gives a bolder line for an audience to see than the preppy markers (much finer point on the marker). If you get this ink, do yourself a favor and buy some highliter tips for the pen that is included with the bottle.

I'd actually say the blue is NOT fade resistant. See the way the word "Scales" on the right is thinner and paler? That's the effect of sun and time. If given enough time, I think it would fade to the point where it just couldn't be seen, like the men who became the Ring Wraiths.

Considering that some inks fade as fast as a week, and many are gone within the first month, 10 is pretty good, but I agree that it isn't fade proof like KTC.

• 1 year later...

The bluerase and blackerase seem to work fine on HDPE and PP. This polymer is in chopping mats of the 11 by 15 inch size. Write on the mats with fountain pen, and Preppy marker pens. Fountain pens give nice fine lines (I used a Jinhao x750). Writing can be wiped off with damp cloth.