Pelikan Violet

Hutecker

I made you guys wait a whole day for more reviews! :yikes: enjoy!

http://i.imgur.com/lWjYT0Y.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/z92EBwM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5NWuyNN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/P3LyFPp.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Hutecker

• The Good Captain

• razr

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review. I've used this ink in the past but I agree with you it's a little dry.

Use a Pelikan pen, being 'wet' writers are made for the 'dry' Pelikan inks. By matching a wet pen to a dry ink you get to the middle. A few years a go Waterman ink was considered 'Wet', with a dry writing Waterman pen, it too got to the middle.

I've seen some folks call Waterman now 'dry' in they use wetter Noodler and Private Reserve inks.

I use semi-flex often (which is often a wetter writing nib) and hadn't noticed with the nice regular flex nibbed Pelikan 120 which I had Pelikan Violet in, also that it was objectionably dry

I grew up with Pelikan inks in back '50-60s in the days of 4DM-$1, imported Pelikan was cheaper than then US made Parker or Sheaffer inks.

We were rather ignorant about pens, nibs and inks, back when only the rich had a color TV...with no Internet to learn from.

Try the ink in your wetter writers.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Some of us aren't so fortunate, I only have one pen :( some day I'll have more and ill rewrite the review if I think it deserves it ;P thanks for the comments!

LA was not built in a day.

I think the ink is worth doing a second review later when you have more nibs to play with my self. It is a nice shading ink.

If you look at Sandy's reviews...I was amazed what a difference nib width and paper would do to an ink.

I cheated...my wife locked up my silver P-75 in her jewelry case jail for thirty years.I having gone over to free ball points by the late '70's. I was a one pen man...and out of sight out of mind. :blush: Turn your back,that type of pen can do the 3:30 mile.

I had inherited pens in a drawer that sat there for 15 years by me and about the same time by her aunt. So I had a hand full of pens to start with when I was noobie.

Over four years I learned a lot...

I thought one pen I had was a 'wet' writer so many talked of. It was a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex nib....and I had no idea at all...Oh, a nib of that flex can often be a 'wet' writer, the nib's tines spread very easy...and I'd not pressed it any to really spread the tines. :( ....yep...'wet' writer.

I was using Pelikan 4001 inks and it was still a wet writer....can't put 2+2 together until you can count to 2. I couldn't. :rolleyes:

Having a number of pens collected over 4 years, some times I take 8 nibs (often enough less) of this and that assorted flex and width and 3-4 papers.to see if I can match an ink to a pen and paper.

"With this pen, it is dry." Not all pens, which is why I suggested a wet pen.

Many send off every pen they have to be tuned to an exact flow. I don't.

I have a couple (only about 2) of real dry pens**, for 'wet' inks and a couple of wet pens...can't help that in I have enough nibs that have some to enough flex, that are good for 'dry' inks.

Many of my regular flex or nails fall in the middle.

** I 'have' to use a wet ink in those two pens, or I get drag of dry. When I ink those two pens, I am limited to wet inks.

I am not due to being a Charter Member of The Pen of the Week in the Mail Club; limited to just those two pens.

Do not join that club...even Pen of the Month in the Mail can be counter productive.

IMO Chase the nib, not the make and model, until you have a mixed set of nail, regular flex and one or two semi-flex. You need from B to EF. I find F and M in regular flex often give me good shading in a number of inks.

I chase two toned shading inks which are dryer or more pastel compared to only having a few supersaturated .vivid monotone inks...that are often wet well lubricated.

Richard Binder's com is a good place to go. I still visit it. It use to be 95% of what I know came from there and the links....now after only 4 years it's only 92 1/2 %.

There is always something new to learn with fountain pens.

That is a good paper you are using. IMO Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink, and in that order..

We are all searching for nibs and paper that make inks dance at midnight.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I like this colour and must try it out sometime. The Diamine Violet it a really nice shade as well.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"