Vintage Nos: To Ink Or Not To Ink?

proton007

I've had and later sold three NOS stickered pens. Bought them really to resell so I left the stickers on and made a little money on each of them. Normally don't buy them unless I can get a good price and put them back out there for someone that likes to keep stickered pens. I can always find the same pen cheaper and unstickered if I want one to keep it.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• proton007

• VAgal

• ac12

• sargetalon

Will you get more enjoyment out of using it or out of keeping it pristine?

There's nothing wrong with collecting, but there's not a lot of sense in treating a pen like a collectors item when you'd really rather be using it.

I personally would ink (and have inked) any vintage NOS that I've gotten. I'm definitely a user. I'd make an exception if I had any particular reason to, but in general, I buy to use.

Then there's also the possibility of an ink reacting and ruining a great pen.

So then just be careful of what inks you put in the pens.

If an ink has been reported to cause problems, err on the safe side and use something else. Waterman Serentiy/Florida Blue has become my go-to for first fills of vintage pens as it's notorious for good behavior. Then I move on to other colors.

To the OP, do you have a particular pen in mind? Or are you thinking about vintage NOS in general?

Nothing fancy or rare, just vintage pens that are sold in NOS condition. I agree the NOS sticker carries value, but I think using it carefully shouldn't matter that much as long as it stays mint and is not damaged. As some posters have said, whats the point in getting one if not to use it ?

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

I have a few relatives who always hoarded or collected wonderful items and spent their entire lives saving for the future. Most have now passed on without ever enjoying anything they had. Their kids wound up squandering and not appreciating what was left to them. Everything they treasured while they were alive became junk to get rid of. My advice is:

If you enjoy pens ink it up.

If you collect pens ink it up.

If you are worried about your pen's value ink it up. You may be the last person to appreciate its value.

My humble 2 cents.

Edited by ravantra

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

Lots of people own cars they don't drive, lures they don't fish with, clubs they don't play with, homes they don't live in, etc... Why not a pen you don't write with?

Ink it.

A pen that has never been inked, has not completed its circle of life. It remains Unfulfilled. :)

I only have two pens - an Aurora Optima and others.

Nothing fancy or rare, just vintage pens that are sold in NOS condition. I agree the NOS sticker carries value, but I think using it carefully shouldn't matter that much as long as it stays mint and is not damaged. As some posters have said, whats the point in getting one if not to use it ?

I hope that you write with joy.