Pelikan Edelstein Amber Review (Ink Of The Year 2013)

write to me often

Hi,

This is my first ink review on FPN. I generally do them in my blog but I also wanted to share something here. I hope it can be usefull.

post-84877-0-64556500-1373444992_thumb.jpg

Edited by write to me often

Every day I'm blogging

writetomeoften.com

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• write to me often

• The Good Captain

• amberleadavis

• dragondazd

A great review and I like this colour. BUT, it's just a little pale for me to read a lot of it, for any length of time. I need a bit more contrast; doesn't really matter what the colour is. One of the people who write to me used it recently and it's great but I'd like it darker.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Nice review. Good choice of pens and ink comparisons.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Okay, so I' m a " Newbie " & this is the first reply for me to someone conducting an ink review. Your analysis of Amber really impressed me. It was informative enough to get the characteristics of the ink across, but not so complicated that a person trying to learn would get lost.

When I first saw Amber I really liked it. I am an ' earthtones ' type of person. The photo I saw in the display was much deeper in the bottle than it was when I filled up my FP & wrote a couple of pages. I wish I had a chance to read a review just like yours before I purchased the Amber. The Good Captain voiced my opinion accurately, its too pale. Amber, if as rich as it appeared in the photo would suit my eye much better. Thank you for the write-up. I need to research more next time. Actually, I did get another Pelikan " Color of the Year " that I truly love, that being CO the Y for 2012, Turmaline. Beautiful. I just bought more before the next " Color of the Year " comes out.

aggie

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!

A great review and I like this colour. BUT, it's just a little pale for me to read a lot of it, for any length of time. I need a bit more contrast; doesn't really matter what the colour is. One of the people who write to me used it recently and it's great but I'd like it darker.

Actually with broad and juicy nibs like Pelikan M1000 Oblique Broad it is not that pale. Click the link and you can see a sample of writing in the last photo

http://www.banasikcayaz.com/2013/07/sunday-post.html

Every day I'm blogging

writetomeoften.com

Okay, so I' m a " Newbie " & this is the first reply for me to someone conducting an ink review. Your analysis of Amber really impressed me. It was informative enough to get the characteristics of the ink across, but not so complicated that a person trying to learn would get lost.

When I first saw Amber I really liked it. I am an ' earthtones ' type of person. The photo I saw in the display was much deeper in the bottle than it was when I filled up my FP & wrote a couple of pages. I wish I had a chance to read a review just like yours before I purchased the Amber. The Good Captain voiced my opinion accurately, its too pale. Amber, if as rich as it appeared in the photo would suit my eye much better. Thank you for the write-up. I need to research more next time. Actually, I did get another Pelikan " Color of the Year " that I truly love, that being CO the Y for 2012, Turmaline. Beautiful. I just bought more before the next " Color of the Year " comes out.

aggie

Thank you aggie,

As I also responded Good Captain, it is just about the pen you use. With a medium nib, medium wet lamy safari it is quite pale actually. Maybe not even for daily use but with a juicy Pelikan M1000 OB it is quite dark. Check out the last photo on the link http://www.banasikcayaz.com/2013/07/sunday-post.html

Every day I'm blogging

writetomeoften.com

Nice review. Good choice of pens and ink comparisons.

Mike

Thank you Mike,

I am trying to use different pens in order to emphasize the difference that a nib size can make and I have quite a few inks so I am not struggling to find similar colors :)

Every day I'm blogging

writetomeoften.com

Many thanks for posting your review here. I am always looking for new inks to use and this is definitely a winner.

Just spent few minutes of my lunch time looking at your website and WOW there are plenty of reviews for me to get ideas on which inks to buy next. One I was not aware of is MontBlanc Albert Einstein's beautiful graphite colour.

Kind regards,

Rui

Edited by RuiFromUK

Kind regards,

Rui

This is my first ink review on FPN. I generally do them in my blog but I also wanted to share something here. I hope it can be usefull.

You have a very nice blog with some great reviews. Thank you for all the time and effort you put into sharing your passion for this hobby!

Actually with broad and juicy nibs like Pelikan M1000 Oblique Broad it is not that pale. Click the link and you can see a sample of writing in the last photo

http://www.banasikcayaz.com/2013/07/sunday-post.html

OK, I go along with that.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

You have a very nice blog with some great reviews. Thank you for all the time and effort you put into sharing your passion for this hobby!

Thank you very much for your kind words.

Every day I'm blogging

writetomeoften.com

Many thanks for posting your review here. I am always looking for new inks to use and this is definitely a winner.

Just spent few minutes of my lunch time looking at your website and WOW there are plenty of reviews for me to get ideas on which inks to buy next. One I was not aware of is MontBlanc Albert Einstein's beautiful graphite colour.

Kind regards,

Rui

Thank you very much Rui,

Blog is hard to keep update so when I hear words like that, it makes my day!

Every day I'm blogging

writetomeoften.com

• 3 weeks later...

I was enormously disappointed in this ink. I was expecting a rich, earthy amber color, something like a light maple syrup, instead the color seems to me to be a mix of a pale rusty orange with no depth at all. I'm going to try it with a broader nib to see if that improves my experience with this ink, but for now I'm underwhelmed. vinper

Excellent review. Thanks for pulling all this great information together in one place.

My current orange is Noodler's Apache Sunset. So far I've used it in a Noodler's Ahab pen with a stainless steel flex nib, and a Cross Century with a 14K medium nib and the results are good. I find it to have nice shading and decent saturation with both pens.

I've recently discovered Pelikan Edelstein and Pilot Iroshizuku inks and I really like the variants I have (aventurine and topaz from Pelikan and yama-budo, yama-guri, and take-sumi from Iroshizuku.)

I was wondering if you (or any other reader of this thread) has made any comparisons (side by side or otherwise) of the orange offerings from these three vendors.

Edited by peter57

Hi there!

You have posted a great review of my currently favorite ink, thank you.

I bought it during a recent retail therapy session, when the salesperson used the ultimate argument: "limited edition, we are not getting more of it".

Although I agree it is on the light side, it has been a great summer color, flowing and shading softly from a white Sailor with a M nib, in itself a memory of a perfect summer in Florence. Fountain pens and gelato ...

I was enormously disappointed in this ink. I was expecting a rich, earthy amber color, something like a light maple syrup, instead the color seems to me to be a mix of a pale rusty orange with no depth at all. I'm going to try it with a broader nib to see if that improves my experience with this ink, but for now I'm underwhelmed. vinper

Dear Vinper,

You might be right, I know a lot of people waiting a more deeper, richer color especially from Edelstein which have only 10 colors so far.

But a broader or a wetter nib might fix the situation a bit.

Every day I'm blogging

writetomeoften.com

Excellent review. Thanks for pulling all this great information together in one place.

My current orange is Noodler's Apache Sunset. So far I've used it in a Noodler's Ahab pen with a stainless steel flex nib, and a Cross Century with a 14K medium nib and the results are good. I find it to have nice shading and decent saturation with both pens.

I've recently discovered Pelikan Edelstein and Pilot Iroshizuku inks and I really like the variants I have (aventurine and topaz from Pelikan and yama-budo, yama-guri, and take-sumi from Iroshizuku.)

I was wondering if you (or any other reader of this thread) has made any comparisons (side by side or otherwise) of the orange offerings from these three vendors.

Thank you very much Peter!

I have the whole line of Edelstein's and I can say Sapphire is a well-behaved, rich blue and Edelstein Jade is a nice, different green color.

I don't have the well-known orange inks therefore, unfortunately it is impossible for me to help you in this manner.

Best

Every day I'm blogging

writetomeoften.com

Hi there!

You have posted a great review of my currently favorite ink, thank you.

I bought it during a recent retail therapy session, when the salesperson used the ultimate argument: "limited edition, we are not getting more of it".

Although I agree it is on the light side, it has been a great summer color, flowing and shading softly from a white Sailor with a M nib, in itself a memory of a perfect summer in Florence. Fountain pens and gelato ...

Dear STA,

I am glad you liked this very controversial ink. Because most of the people are disappointed due to its light color.

Edelstein is launching "ink of the year" for two years. So, Turmaline and Amber are the "ink of year"s fro the last two years.

Enjoy your limited edition amber!

Cheers,

Every day I'm blogging

writetomeoften.com

Thank you very much Peter!

I have the whole line of Edelstein's and I can say Sapphire is a well-behaved, rich blue and Edelstein Jade is a nice, different green color.

I don't have the well-known orange inks therefore, unfortunately it is impossible for me to help you in this manner.

Best

The whole line of Edelsteins...WOW! I'm jealous. I agree with you WRT the Edelstein inks. I find the two that I have to be well behaved also. I'm so impressed by them, that I'm sure I will be buying more over time. As an update on my "orange experience" I've loaded some Noodler's Apache Sunset into my Lamy Safaris fitted with a fine, 1.5mm stub, and 1.9mm stub nib. The fine nib provided only so-so results...you might even say "poor" results. But as for the stub nibs...the broader the better. The 1.9mm nib lays down a thick, juicy, well saturated, and beautifully shaded line. Here's a photo. Apologies for the poor quality of the photograph, but I think it gets the point across.

post-104150-0-89952200-1377112513.jpg