Cheap Bottled Ink I Can Bring To High School And Leave In Locker?

JeremyB796

Hi~ I've done some looking online but I am quite unsure about this)

I am new to Fountain pens and just got my Noodler's HoD ink yesterday (btw, loving it; but haven't received my Lamy F yet)

Now, I filled the Preppy and thought "If I end up having to fill my Lamy at school, I don't wan tmy ink to get smashed".

You see...My school isn't the best one, People break into lockers all the time and like to take things like that (glass bottle = smashed...or the'll try to get a buzz from it.)

----------

Can anyone suggest a cheap ink that I wouldn't care about as much if it was smashed?

It doesn't matter what the bottle is made of (it can be glass), It just has to be a cheap black (picky teachers...uhg) ink that is low enough in price were even I (who is dirt poor xD) can have it in my locker so I can fill my pens in an "emergency"

Sorry If this is an odd thing to ask but I really have little money to waste an dI may end up needing to leave a bit there sense I probably won't check the pen too often...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JeremyB796

• Dillo

• josiah

• thedeacon

Jeremy: Consider finding a plastic bottle you can use to carry just enough ink to refill your pen at school.

Sheaffer is a good recommendation! Pelikan and Waterman are also relatively inexpensive, depending on retailer. All fine inks that have been very cooperative in my pens.

But I'm envisioning a smashed 50ml bottle of black ink and violently shuddering so I'll tell you what I would do: invest in an inexpensive plastic syringe with a blunt needle (Goulet has a pack of 2 but Ebay also sells them; not affiliated with either) and decant the ink of your choice into a smaller plastic bottle or even a small vial like those used for 3ml ink samples.

You can buy sample vials from your preferred retailer that hold 6 or 8 milliliters of ink. That would be the cheapest and most shatter-proof option.

"While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart."

- St. Francis of Assisi

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there."

-Miles Davis

I will gladly take your unwanted Noodler's pens. Don't throw them away.

Assume no affiliation.

Diamine 30mL inks come in plastic bottles that might work well for storing in a locker. The necks are quite small however, so if your pen has a large diameter it might be unwieldy. Also, xfountainpens sells rebottled Diamine inks under the Chesterfield name. They package them in plastic Nalgene bottles which are leakproof and fantastic for carrying around. Plus free shipping over $15.

Edited by K. Cakes

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

http://www.campmor.com/nalgene-wide-mouth-1-oz-bottle-bpa-free.shtml

Try one of these. Wide mouth so its easy to get into. Holds a good amount of ink, way more then you can use in a week, never mind a day. Unbreakable plastic (I have seen Nalgene dropped halfway down a mountain, no problem). They are available at most camping stores, online or brick and mortar. Refill with your black of choice.

JS

Ask for someone who has some left over partial bottle of Black Ink to mail it to you. I would, but I do not believe I have any Black Ink. Now if you want some Blue Ink, well I have plenty of it extra, in many shades, as well as the odd Red, Green, Brown and Violet. I do not inventory my Ink however, but tomorrow I will check, and if I have some I am willing to send it (free).

I second this suggestion.

Diamine 30mL inks come in plastic bottles that might work well for storing in a locker. The necks are quite small however, so if your pen has a large diameter it might be unwieldy. Also, xfountainpens sells rebottled Diamine inks under the Chesterfield name. They package them in plastic Nalgene bottles which are leakproof and fantastic for carrying around. Plus free shipping over $15.

When you have pen and ink, every problem needs a piece of paper.

Definitely decant into a plastic container and put that in your locker. Don't bother with large amounts or glass bottles.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I worked as a janitor for a few years during college. I promise I would not have thanked anyone for providing a glass bottle of ink for someone to smash.

I highly recommend buying one or two plastic vials for the ink. Not only will it be less mess, but it will also hurt less if it is stolen.

By the way, as a high school student, I never kept ink in school, even though I used bottled ink (Parker Quink at the time: I didn't know any better). I was willing to switch to a backup non-fountain pen if the fountain pen had an issue.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Ask for someone who has some left over partial bottle of Black Ink to mail it to you. I would, but I do not believe I have any Black Ink. Now if you want some Blue Ink, well I have plenty of it extra, in many shades, as well as the odd Red, Green, Brown and Violet. I do not inventory my Ink however, but tomorrow I will check, and if I have some I am willing to send it (free).

This is a very generous offer Parker51. If you don't have any black maybe I can work out something. I have some Private Reserve Velvet black and a near full bottle of Diamine onyx black, 80ml. I just don't have any empty bottles right now. I have a 25ml plastic bottle of Chesterfield Mahogany that I could empty into something. I'd mail it free as well.

When you have pen and ink, every problem needs a piece of paper.

WOW! so many replies in under an hour!

Thanks guys!!!

--

Use cartridges and carry them with you.

Sorry, I already ordered the Converter...It would be a shame to just leave it in the package and not use it ):

Sheaffer Black, runs $7-8/bottle.

for example: http://www.mainstreetpens.com/stuff.htm On the bottom of the page.

Woah! I did some snooping around and found a 50mL bottle for a little under $5! I will definitely keep that in mind as a very good option! (you're talking about the "Sheaffer Skrip" right?)

You can buy sample vials from your preferred retailer that hold 6 or 8 milliliters of ink. That would be the cheapest and most shatter-proof option.

Yes...that would be a good option, that way I could carry it if necessary...

http://www.campmor.com/nalgene-wide-mouth-1-oz-bottle-bpa-free.shtml
Try one of these. Wide mouth so its easy to get into. Holds a good amount of ink, way more then you can use in a week, never mind a day. Unbreakable plastic (I have seen Nalgene dropped halfway down a mountain, no problem). They are available at most camping stores, online or brick and mortar. Refill with your black of choice.
JS

Your' post goes almost perfectly with the previous one! While a bit larger then Ddustinn suggested, it would be durable enough to last me a long time of use! C':

--

WOW GUYS(and most likely, "gals" :P)! thanks for the help, I think I'll be going with the "Sheaffer Skrip" because it was the cheapest I could find and that plastic bottle that was suggested to me!

Everyone here was wonderful in assisting me find a good cheap ink that I can worry less about!

I am grateful and thank everyone for you replies!

"5 new replies have been added"

oops! I better look at those too :o Just in case :happy:

I second this suggestion.

That was/is still my second option if the "Sheaffer/plastic bottle" combo doesn't work out for some reason (like the website(s) stops selling them, gets broken during shipping, spontaneous combustion, lol)

Definitely decant into a plastic container and put that in your locker. Don't bother with large amounts or glass bottles.

I worked as a janitor for a few years during college. I promise I would not have thanked anyone for providing a glass bottle of ink for someone to smash.

I highly recommend buying one or two plastic vials for the ink. Not only will it be less mess, but it will also hurt less if it is stolen.

By the way, as a high school student, I never kept ink in school, even though I used bottled ink (Parker Quink at the time: I didn't know any better). I was willing to switch to a backup non-fountain pen if the fountain pen had an issue.

If I brought a glass bottle and it got smashed, I would feel bad for the janitor that would end up cleaning it.(If I found out I would probably try to clean it up beforehand)

So I will avoid glass completely/just put it in a new botle.

This is a very generous offer Parker51. If you don't have any black maybe I can work out something. I have some Private Reserve Velvet black and a near full bottle of Diamine onyx black, 80ml. I just don't have any empty bottles right now. I have a 25ml plastic bottle of Chesterfield Mahogany that I could empty into something. I'd mail it free as well.

You two are just way too generous C':>

I thank you but I simply couldn't accept your offer.

It just...i don't know...doesn't agree with my thinking...

--

I thank you for you time, I think I have a good idea what I will get :) , I hope everyone has a wonderful day (one rest of the night in some cases :lol:)

I should stop Multi-quoting, it makes things cluttered...lol

since you already have HOD, know that you can also dilute it quite a lot. (a little bit in a separate container at a time)

regarding the cartridge suggestions, your Safari should come with one cartridge. Sadly it's usually blue. But if you have a syringe, you can refill it and keep it in your locker.

Personally, I like the little 5ml sample vials best.

The plastic sample vials are the way to go. Cheap, dependable and you can carry with you. Since most of us are on a budget, check out these transport vials. They are conical centrifuge vials, means they have a convex/concave bottom (depending on how you look at it). You can get every last drop out with these. I selected the 10mL size, but the company offers different sizes.

If you need syringes to decant the ink, take at look at these on Amazon.

Good luck!

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."-Jim Valvano

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."-Ronald Reagan

purchase a large bottle of pilot ink for sale on 'bay for under $0.10/ ml. decant into a smaller plastic bottle for convenient daily use as suggested above. however, my greater concern is for the locker contents which would be damaged by the ink "accidentally" spilled by an inquisitive classmate rather than the damage to the ink container itself. therefore, i second the suggestion for cartridges: easily transported back and forth from school, easily refilled from a larger bottle. good luck.

since you already have HOD, know that you can also dilute it quite a lot. (a little bit in a separate container at a time) regarding the cartridge suggestions, your Safari should come with one cartridge. Sadly it's usually blue. But if you have a syringe, you can refill it and keep it in your locker. Personally, I like the little 5ml sample vials best.

Oh! I've read about diluting on here but worried about it turning the ink grey. But I can surly try with little bits at a time!

Refill a cartridge?, i didn't know you could do that...

Another option that is rather nice!