Seeking Pelikan Extra-Fine Writing Sample

cjh

Since this thread is revived, I am wondering--now that Pelikan's 'F' is to all intents and purposes an 'M', what does one order to get a true 'fine' that is not 'extra-fine'? Does 'EF' run wider sometimes? And when did the shift occur to making wider-running nibs?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cjh

• smk

• pmhudepo

• DrCodfish

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that my modern M800 EF nib runs a little wide and you might call it an F. Here are a few more writing samples:

fpn_1392882163__hs-m800-cc-246-samples.j

Pens used are Montblanc 246 F (ca. 1948, running pretty wet), Pelikan M800 EF (2013), Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze F (2014) and Montblanc Carlo Collodi F (2011). Here are the business ends of these pens:

fpn_1392882176__hs-m800-cc-246-nibs.jpg

Please note that each pen is filled with a different ink, making this "test" rather unscientific. The M800 is also my only Pelikan, so I have no other model to compare it to. Hope this is still useful.

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

Yes, that's very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to do some more samples, pmhudepo! I guess my tastes are changing. I used to like finer lines,

but now extra-fine seems too fine for me; still, having a hard time adjusting to medium. The F and 'EF' do look pretty consistent though on your page.

• 5 years later...

Chris, my writing sample was written with my Pelikan M800 EF using Pelikan Edelstein Topaz ink on Clairefontaine french-ruled paper.

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/hughdrbf/image.jpg

Hope this helps with your decision ;-)

Hugh

What a beautiful writing!

• 2 weeks later...

I realise this is a six-year old thread, but since I happened to be testing three M200 and M400 nibs to decide which nib to use with which ink (and thus to which pen, since I tend to try to match inks to the finishes and/or materials of the pen bodies), I may as well post a scan of the writing samples in case someone finds it to be of some use.

fpn_1566447281__writing_samples_from_my_

I have no idea whether my M200 steel F nib is typical, but it seems to be capable of leaving at least as narrow a horizontal line reliably as either of the EF nibs.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to mention the tear drop tipped, semi-vintage shaped tipping '82-97 (of the '88-now 200), runs @ 1/2 a width narrower than the round ball modnern 400/600 semi-nail, 800 nail or 1000 regular flex nibs.

So springy regular flex semi-vintage '82-97 and the 200 will be thinner than modern.

Vintage will also be that 1/2 a width thinner but has a softer semi-flex nib that will spread it's tines perhaps too easy for you.

The Japanese make a XXF nib they call EF.....you could look at that too, if very skinny is an absolute must.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.