Conway Stewart Modern 58

Gingerlady

Hi I am new here so be gentle :)

I have a modern 58 series Conway Stewart fountain pen.It is in a black presentation box with padding and blue ink.

On the barrel it says Conway Stewart 300/113 Made in England and on the nib Conway Stewart 18ct Gold M

It has a twist ink converter and is a reddish colour. Its never been used (I would like to find out roughly what it is worth before I use it)

I got it through a competition win in the 1990s and the little book with it is not stamped or signed.

I have tried to research it periodically over the years to find out the colour name and what it is made of in particular but have been unsuccessful so I have signed up here in the hope that someone can tell me how to find these things out.

Can anyone help?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gingerlady

• mallymal1

• georges zaslavsky

• raging.dragon

I'd have to guess that the 300 is the colour and 113 the number of the pen in terms of the total 'batch' but it could be the other way round based on age. My 58 (modern one) is newer and is 375/017. The 375 does match with its colour Red Whirl though. As far as I can tell, there isn't a colour '300'.

I'm sure someone will post the right response on here soon!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Hi I am new here so be gentle :)

I have a modern 58 series Conway Stewart fountain pen.It is in a black presentation box with padding and blue ink.

On the barrel it says Conway Stewart 300/113 Made in England and on the nib Conway Stewart 18ct Gold M

It has a twist ink converter and is a reddish colour. Its never been used (I would like to find out roughly what it is worth before I use it)

I got it through a competition win in the 1990s and the little book with it is not stamped or signed.

I have tried to research it periodically over the years to find out the colour name and what it is made of in particular but have been unsuccessful so I have signed up here in the hope that someone can tell me how to find these things out.

Can anyone help?

If we cannot rely on the numbering system that Mary has pinned in this forum, a photo of the pen would be the quickest and best way to identify its specific colour. The value will depend in part on the colour but recently I have seen modern 58s being sold in the US$200-$300 range, more in the bottom half of that range. The market for pens is quite depressed right now which is great if you are a buyer, not so much if you have to sell.

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

Some of the early modern Churchill and Model 58 pens were limited in production. With this in mind, it could be that your pen was limited to 300 pieces. If you can share an image, it would help greatly.

Regards,

Mary Burke

I would only add that if you have never yet used it, and have any interest in value (=£££) then do not put ink in it.

It is a bit like driving a new car off the forecourt, the value suddenly drops by 30%

• 3 months later...

I have the same model pen. Red / pearl marble, number 300/013. Barrel and cap are same colour as is the clip stud.

Comes in a "treasure chest" looking box with a bottle of CS ink.

I believe it is a run limited to 300 pens.

Hope this helps.

A wizard is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it a piston or button filler?

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

The booklet says, "Twist the top of the ink converter clockwise to draw ink into the chamber, and refit when full."

Think this is a twist converter?

• 2 weeks later...

It is indeed a lovely colour, Linda. :thumbup:

Is it Burgundy Blush...or maybe Cherry Red?

There is a pinned topic, at the top of the Conway Stewart forum page, which lists CS colours. If you scroll down to post #7 you'll get a series of blanks, showing them. Have you looked at that?

I would have said that your pen is definitely No. 113 of a run limited to 300 pieces.

The current incarnation of the 58 sells at around £300, new...so it isn't a cheap pen by any means.

Thank you for the photos, and sharing with us. If you do identify the colour, please let us know.

Thank you Malcolm.

I have had a look and am leaning towards Quartz Burgundy as the others do not show the lustre of the pen.

When trying to get the clearest photographs of the pen it was necessary to light it well........in 'normal' light it does appear slightly darker than

the pictures but with a definite light reflecting element. There are however, many more red code numbers in Marys list than there are pictures

of blanks so it is possible it is actually another entirely. It is frustrating that the pen does not have a colour number on the barrel.

I also do not know what it is made of .........would I need to know the colour before I could find this out?

I must say, Linda, Quartz Burgundy is stunning!

Wouldn't it be so easy if the colour code was on the pen? I can see a time, when pen collectors are arguing over which colour is which...and what year the pen is dated to.

I think the material is known as Acrylic Resin...but I could be wrong.

• 7 years later...

I have a Modern Conway Stewart fountain pen that appears to be the same colour as ginger lady’s pen. Mine is numbered 300/094. Logic would suggest 300 is the colour number, the second number is perhaps the number of the pen made in that colour.

77A57DDC-E420-4899-B894-70C1DB3071CA.jpeg

CFB01C11-7C27-4362-AEA8-F59B01A9C99D.jpeg