Which Color Carene Is This?

misslucy107

Looking at two ads on eBay for a Carene, one described as "velvet purple" and the other one as "velvet blue", the purple one looks more like blue to me and the blue one more like grey or even black.

I know colors can look completely different in a different light and it can be hard to distinguish from photos, but which colors do you think they are?

WTB: Waterman Carene Royal Violet

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• misslucy107

• Left FPN

• dontheo

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found that colors can be way off on eBay when people post items. Click on their name and ask for another photo. When I sell items I usually lay them on my pool table so a ball can be compared for size and color.

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal!

You're right of course, and I'd already emailed the seller, but since at least one of the ads ends this weekend and many sellers either don't check their emails or don't have access to their wares at home, I thought I'd ask here if someone had an idea.

Yes, if the are selling on the Bay and can't post a proper picture with good lighting for accurate color reproduction and/or they cant be reached to answer questions, don't buy from them. I have about 800 transactions or more and this is one of the warning signs no matter how good the deal looks.

If they have a store, they are getting your emails, trust me.

Fair point. I'll see if/when they reply. Thanks for your input!

From my eyes what I see as the Velvet Purple is a Charcoal Grey and as the Velvet Blue another Charcoal Grey. In different lighting this colour looks matt black, mauve, violet or blue to some. The most difficult to tell from online photos are the Royal Violet, Charcoal Grey, Ultramarime and sometimes the Abyss Blue.

fpn_1340375571__dsc_4900small.jpg

Edited by Force

Thanks Force, I'd hoped you would reply because you have all 4 of those colors. Let's see what the seller says, but if you're right (and what you're saying only confirms my own impression) neither of these pens is what I'm looking for.

Edited by misslucy107

Okay, that is a nice pen. Right click on the picture and save to a folder or desktop. You have the waterman box that I hope you have another at home. Zoom in and you should be able to use the box color as a reference against the pen color. You may also be able to manipulate the settings as long as you keep the color of the box as a reference.

Force

Is there a waterman you don't own? lol. FYI, I pulled my cap tonight and got it put back together. Thanks for your patience and help.

Ted

Good idea, thanks, will give that a try tomorrow in daylight.

not forgetting the Vivid Blue which I do not have...surprisingly or the Glossy Red. But I do have an Ivory and coming soon a Crimson.

Yes, I have a few models but there are many many I don't have.

I am also surprised that a brand new Black Sea is still on offer for £60 BIN.... :unsure:

Don't forget, the RV came in Gloss and not so gloss.... :D

Edited by Force

I do have the glossy red :)

I saw a RV about 10 years ago, but was a poor student at the time and couldn't spend that kind of money on a pen. Been looking for one for about 6 months now, but so far without success.

How's your Crimson project coming along?

I do have the glossy red :)

I saw a RV about 10 years ago, but was a poor student at the time and couldn't spend that kind of money on a pen. Been looking for one for about 6 months now, but so far without success.

How's your Crimson project coming along?

:notworthy1:

Only a few months back a new boxed RV set FP/BP sold on the bay for £100, which I thought was good value.

The crimson has taken back stage while I complete the lounge refurbishment...which has required much more paint than I had hoped. I should have the pen complete by the end of July though.

I know, patience is a virtue and all that, but I've wanted this pen for 10 years already! ;)

Which was your first Carene and what got you hooked on them?

Good luck with the refurbishing! :)

Edited by misslucy107

I liked their look and it was a used (with a ding) Black Sea Medium nib that got me hooked. That pen started me on the quest to have all the colours until I then started to double up when I saw a good deal perhaps. There are others that I do not have like the Silver/Black Deluxe which I am also waiting for along with the 2 mentioned above. I also do not have a stub nib which is on the list.

There is no doubt, if you get a nice flowing nib, they are the bees knees to use....IMHO.

But then again a little 512V I found for £10 is a nice alternative pen to use.

I have 2 stubs (on a Silver/blue deluxe and on a Meridians) and they are fabulous.

I also have a stub on one Charleston, but that is not as nice as the Carene stubs.

Would also like a stub on one of my Edsons, but I find those new sections way too expensive to just buy one...

I'm waiting for the result on that crimson of yours, Force

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I have 2 stubs (on a Silver/blue deluxe and on a Meridians) and they are fabulous.

I also have a stub on one Charleston, but that is not as nice as the Carene stubs.

Would also like a stub on one of my Edsons, but I find those new sections way too expensive to just buy one...

I'm waiting for the result on that crimson of yours, Force

D.ick

I must get one soon then,

I hate starting jobs and not finishing them in good time....unfortunately I started the lounge at Xmas. The ceiling, lighting, flooring, skirting are all done with the walls final coat tomorrow. That will just leave the 2 doors, one of which I have started and will finish by next weekend. A break today for the Winchester Hat Fair and a few beers. Then Monday it's the 100 sporting at Holywell House and Wednesday BT Infinity installation. *#~$*& gotta work Tuesday Thursday and Friday morning

Edited by Force

The seller replied promptly that it's always a bit difficult with the colors, but he'd say it is a violet pen and I can always return it if I don't like it. I played with the idea to buy it, because it has an L nib (I only have F and M nibs so far), but it didn't sound like he's 100% sure it's a RV, so I'd rather wait and buy a pen that definitely is a RV. Maybe (hopefully) there's an FNPer who's looking for a good home for his/her RV sometime :)

Only a few months back a new boxed RV set FP/BP sold on the bay for £100, which I thought was good value.

I got outbid on a similar set for just over $200 a few weeks ago :(

• 1 month later...

So a few weeks later, after the seller had guaranteed that it really was a purple pen, I took a chance and bought it.

It arrived 2 days ago in mint condition and the seller was right, it's a beautiful deep purple color. Not sure if it's really a RV or maybe an ultramarine, as I've compared it to photos of both colors and it's very hard to distinguish, but it's gorgeous! I tried taking some photos with my phone, but the color didn't show at all, so I'll have take some proper pictures with a decent camera.

I'm still getting used to the B nib, not sure yet if I like it or not, time will tell...