• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Nick T

• The Good Captain

• amberleadavis

Wow some new members on this thread. Welcome. NickT that avatar is hystrically funny.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

It looks quite lilac to me for a red, when it comes to red, I prefer pure, dark reds without any lilac undertone :) It's just a question of taste of course. :)
Oh one more thing: I did not use it for too long, but I feel it stained my pens a bit.

2 Parker Frontiers, 1 Lamy Safari, 1 MB 146, 1 Pilot MR and new friends: M805 in blue and an M 420. Yay!

Current holy grail: Caran d'Ache Leman Bicolor in saffron or possibly white. Not yet sure.

syrah is a changeling dependent on the flow rate, nib size and type of paper you are using. I used nothing but Syrah for 6 months. During that time I had the pleasure of seeing it on a number of different papers using the several pens I own. If flow rate was low, or on a drier pen it looked lilac. On my wet Lamy Safari with 1.1mm stub that is quite wet it looked like red tinged brown. It's an interesting ink.

Cheers - Nicholas

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed its an interesting ink, if I would see bit earlier this review probably it would be the ninth ink on my recent ink haul, but now, It need to wait a bit more, for the next round. Very nice and detailed review!

• 2 weeks later...

Great review of my signature colour. I've been using ruby inks since halfway the 90's on a daily basis and I still love them. I started with Parker Penman Ruby, which I still use btw, and a few years ago I mixed Binder Burgundy an bought some Diamine Syrah.

I like it best on a slightly off white paper and my favourite pens to use it are my old Partker 25 with M nib which I adjusted a to make it a bit wetter, my TWSBI Mini (B nib), also adjusted to make it a tad wetter and my 1992 Duofold Centennal with M nib ( :puddle:my best pen ever, smooth as silk, wet, nice line and shading).

I'm not quite fond of my Duofold Intl's with the F nib to go with the colour.

It's classy and professional enough to write remarks in students' classjournals, it's not as hard as red to grade. It's an ink that doesn't go unnoticed without shouting 'look at me'.

Kind regards,

Hugo

Thou shalt not stir one foot to seek a foe.

Eadem Mutata Resurgo.

Hi Hugo,

I think that is the trick with this ink. It is a bit dry compared to the Iro inks I usually use. I have been considering the idea of having Mr Binder open up the 1mm stub he sold me for my Pelikan just for using with Syrah. After trying a few more inks I loaded Syrah back into my favorite pen last week and haven't looked back. I don't know why I am so enamored of this color, but I am. The color, shading and general behavior are just tops in my book.

Cheers - Nicholas

Hi Hugo,

I think that is the trick with this ink. It is a bit dry compared to the Iro inks I usually use. I have been considering the idea of having Mr Binder open up the 1mm stub he sold me for my Pelikan just for using with Syrah. After trying a few more inks I loaded Syrah back into my favorite pen last week and haven't looked back. I don't know why I am so enamored of this color, but I am. The color, shading and general behavior are just tops in my book.

I think what I like the most of it is the aubergine/purple undertone, a lot of the burgundy inks around have more of a brown undertone. Enjoy!

H

Thou shalt not stir one foot to seek a foe.

Eadem Mutata Resurgo.

• 1 month later...

Recently brought a Syrah, and arrived, but as it seems, I think this one, have some problem:

http://i58.tinypic.com/30ualaf.jpg

Its foamy, although swabs was okay, but I'm not sure, that everything is ok with this one....

Recently brought a Syrah, and arrived, but as it seems, I think this one, have some problem:

http://i58.tinypic.com/30ualaf.jpg

Its foamy, although swabs was okay, but I'm not sure, that everything is ok with this one....

YIKES!!

That is not right! :bawl:

As ever, I suggest contacting the Vendor and the nice people at Diamine for a replacement. As they might want a sample to analyse, please retain the ink and store apart from your other writing matériel & foodstuff.

In this instance, I'd suggest giving any pen/s or other implements that were in contact with the ink a sanisiting treatment.

[naughty_word]

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Very nice deep scarlet. How do you find this ink compares to Oxblood?

OP, I'd like your opinion on that also.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!