Couple Questions About Pilot Pens... The Metal Elabo (Falcon) And Custom Line.

qkoexz

My first question is about the metal Elabo pen from pilot, about its construct. Can any owners confirm or deny that the grip section (the section that holds the feed and nib) is indeed made of metal? I am pretty sure the barrel itself and the cap are metal but I'm confused about the grip because it has a different colour to the barrel on the coloured versions of the pen.

The second question could be a bit more tricky: would it be possible to transplant the nib-feed system of a #10 Pilot FA nib (from a Heritage 912, Custom 742, for example) into the Elabo? I understand the feed pops out on both of these pens, and through analysing photos of both these feeds, they were rather close in diameter. This would be desirable to use both the flex in the FA nib and the heft the metal body the Elabo has to offer.

Any tinkerers who own both these pens I would greatly appreciate a test of this hypothesis :)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• qkoexz

• Dillo

• Mafia Geek

• ridiculopathy

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't think it would work, unfortunately. The large reason for is is that the #10 nib and feed are significantly larger than the Elabo (or commonly known as Falcon) nib and feed. As well they are different designs, so there's no saying that the internal layout of the feeds would be even remotely the same. It is possible to get a Falcon (or Elabo) from a few retailers (nibs.com and richardspens.com) and have it modified to have even more flex than the FA nib.

I suggest going that route rather than trying to fit one nib into the other pen because then you know the pen will write well, the feed will keep up, and you don't have to buy two high end pens to get the one you really want.

EDIT: Also a note to consider is that the nib on the Falcon/Elabo is already flexible, more so than a typical Soft nib and possibly as much, maybe even more, than the FA nib on the 742.

Edited by Mafia Geek

Ahh, thanks for the replies guys. Disappointments on both accounts. Just a point though, through photos the FA feed and the Falcon feed were only a fraction of a millimetre different. I thought it would have been a camera depth of field issue or something. Their shapes on the inner end are very similar too.

But now that I know that the metal Elabo isn't even entirely metal, I might just get a Heritage 912 or something. As I understand it, the FA nib has much more flex right out of the box than the Elabo models.

Hi,

If I remember correctly, the FA and Elabo nibs are somewhat different in what they are meant to do. They also use different feeds. I think though, that it is generally better to have a plastic grip section as those are much less susceptible to corrosion from ink. This allows your pen to last a lot longer. I'm actually happy that Pilot chose to make the Elabo with a plastic grip section. Also, the plastic grip sections seem to be preferred by a lot of people over metal grip sections. I find them more comfortable and less slippery. I think that in the end your choice depends on what you want. If you like the FA nib better, then you should get a pen that uses one. If you like the Elabo nib better, that's the one you should get. Look here for more information on the differences between the nibs. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/112593-falcon-vs-falcon-fa-nib/

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon