Horrible Experience With Engeika Shop

rochester21

I have only had good experiences with him buying through EBay. I just received an order from him less than a week after ordering it. Everything looks great. :)

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• ukobke

• proton007

• Pen2009

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I must admit that in the last week I've tried to buy from Taizo's shop (not via eBay) and found his cart impossible to put anything into., When I made a personal enquiry, it turned out he didn't have the pen I wanted anyway.......

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Ok, time for me to come to Taizos defense and tell you why I will continue to buy pens from him.

Last year I bought three of Sailors Precious Wood of the World pens from Engeika auctions on ebay (Kokutan $162.50, Tochi $146, Tagayasan $177). For comparison, the MSRP of these is $430, they now cost $204.30 in Engeika shop and $344 from nibs.com (it should be noted though that when you buy from nibs.com they offer you different nib sizes and the pen will be examined, tested and tuned for you, while from engeika you get the H-F, the only size nib that this pen actually comes with), so you can see that I got the pens for a very good price.

About six months after I got the Tagayasan (Ironwood) I noticed a crack along the grain in the cap. I had actually not used the pen for perhaps three months, so I don't know when it started, but by this time it was rather big and it went straight through the cap so that the gold band at the bottom of the cap could be seen through it. I had treated the pen like a baby, it had never been dropped and had not a scratch on it, so this was clearly a factory defect (I'm thinking the wood had not been given enough drying time before manufacture).

So after recovering from the shock I sent off an e-mail to Taizo, along with the photo of the crack that I have attached to this post.

Two days later I received a reply telling me to return the pen for a replacement. After I had returned the pen he ordered a new pen from Sailor, which took about a week and sent it EMS to me without charging anything (with purchase the shipping would cost $15). I had ordered two converters from him that he also sent along with the pen (Pilot CON-W, he had to order ten of them from Pilot in order to sell me two), so I got free shipping for those as well!

The pen came in a plastic tube inside a padded envelope, and as you can see it came with the tag and in a sealed plastic bag.

And it writes splendidly; very smooth and with good ink flow.

The final photo is the new pen in the middle with the Kokutan (ebony) above and Tochi (Chestnut) below.

I intend to buy the other three models as well, and I will get them from engeika.

Thank you Taizo!

post-73845-0-66917100-1397987351_thumb.jpg

post-73845-0-97932900-1397987357.jpg

post-73845-0-31593100-1397987364_thumb.jpg

post-73845-0-33852500-1397987370_thumb.jpg

post-73845-0-96973500-1397987376_thumb.jpg

I've placed my first order at Engeika a month ago (20th March) on a Pilot Custom Heritage 912 with a Posting nib. As all special nibs, it had to be ordered from Pilot.
After two weeks I wrote an email to Taizo, to ask about my order. He asked for my patience, and said he hasn't heard anything form Pilot yet.
On Friday I wrote him again, and asked if he knows anything about it now. He answered that there is a delay in production at Pilot, so my pen will be ready to ship only at the end of May....
I've been asked if wanted to wait or not, but I've decided to wait...the price is great, the customer service is great....
Taizo has nothing to do with this obviously. He placed the order to Pilot, the rest is up to them.
I could be upset, but I'm not. Maybe a bit disappointed...
But I always get quick and useful answers from him! He is very helpful!
I can only hope there won't be an other delay....

@pompa: Beautiful Sailors there!

Edited by attika89

Sorry, I really wanted to buy from this seller, but the last two times he had not in stock the items I wanted. For one of them he answered it was out of stock, although it appeared as available in his on-line shop. I bought however some usual Platinum FPs and it was OK, even I had to wait some days. The prices are terrific and the communication very good. I would buy from him in the future, if need be.

Absolutely not. Which is why I worded my question to those who have ordered items to the US about customs waiting time, not about Engeikas shipping time to the us, which is excellent.

Assuming the pens are what I ordered I hope my positive experience can provide balance to the (few?) people who seem to have had a negative one.

Customs can really suck sometimes. I have had one experience where a pen was in customs for 5 weeks. I cannot imagine what they were doing to it. And another experience where a pen from Engeika arrived from Tokyo to my post office in 3 days. Which considering that it is a rural outpost is nothing short of amazing, and I can only imagine that someone was feeding meth to the carrier pigeons.

I'm going through horrible experience with this shop now and it really makes me upset.

First I was having trouble with shipping cost... It's too long story to tell over here....

Anyway I finally gave up dealing with him. It seemed like he doesn't get for 100% what I said in English.

So I just sent mail with my order, and it was April 16. And there was few more inquiry mail, and I sent money on April 21.

He told me he'll get in touch when he ships it. So I asked him when will my orders be shipped. (today)

Guess what? He told me to wait more!

The only reason I chose EMS it the speed. I paid on Monday noon, and he's telling me to wait til tomorrow!

The reason? It's because he has to check stocks...........

And he told the the inks I ordered was so popular that he's not sure whether there enough stocks or not.

I thought, WHAT THE HELL HE'S TALKING ABOUT? How can he accepts orders without checking his stock?

He said that it' s my fault, for not sending confirmation mail.... But I said him to hold my inks till I pay in mail... sent on 16 April.

I think he has made up his mind to drive me mad...:-)

I've seen so many terrible experience with Engeika Shop, but it's much more that I expected. WOW. really...... I was impressed!

If there's anyone who's going to but from him, I never ever recommend it.

I'm going through horrible experience with this shop now and it really makes me upset.

First I was having trouble with shipping cost... It's too long story to tell over here....

Anyway I finally gave up dealing with him. It seemed like he doesn't get for 100% what I said in English.

So I just sent mail with my order, and it was April 16. And there was few more inquiry mail, and I sent money on April 21.

He told me he'll get in touch when he ships it. So I asked him when will my orders be shipped. (today)

Guess what? He told me to wait more!

The only reason I chose EMS it the speed. I paid on Monday noon, and he's telling me to wait til tomorrow!

The reason? It's because he has to check stocks...........

And he told the the inks I ordered was so popular that he's not sure whether there enough stocks or not.

I thought, WHAT THE HELL HE'S TALKING ABOUT? How can he accepts orders without checking his stock?

He said that it' s my fault, for not sending confirmation mail.... But I said him to hold my inks till I pay in mail... sent on 16 April.

I think he has made up his mind to drive me mad...:-)

I've seen so many terrible experience with Engeika Shop, but it's much more that I expected. WOW. really...... I was impressed!

If there's anyone who's going to but from him, I never ever recommend it.

I understand that you're having a difficult transaction, but patience is the key here....You said that you would pay by mail - did you tell him that you sent the payment out on the 16th of April? I know that EMS is the only way that Engeika ships all of his products, unless they're worth less than $10, so I'm not sure what you mean about choosing EMS. As for holding stock, yes, it can be frustrating, but it's not like he's taking your money and never sending you your items. So far, you've said that you paid on Monday noon, and can't wait for him to respond by Wednesday, but you asked him to wait from the 16th of April until the 21st for your payment. That seems like double standards to me.

A little more patience on both sides seems appropriate here.

Some others have legitimately had terrible experiences - ie. months of waiting with no updates or communication. Your experience, as far as I can tell...is not a terrible one yet.

So far, you've said that you paid on Monday noon, and can't wait for him to respond by Wednesday, but you asked him to wait from the 16th of April until the 21st for your payment. That seems like double standards to me.

Pretty much...

Anyway, its only 5 working days after your (Alicae) first email...that's nowhere near "horrible"....c'mon...

I know there is " the buyer is always right" thing, but you can't blame him for everything only because he is the seller...

There might have been people who payed right on for the inks and he felt that those people deserve priority. I think its pretty reasonable.

You could've sent an email before sending the money to confirm he still has the stock...not that hard to do, and he replies pretty fast anyways. I prefer to do so whenever I ask someone to hold stuff for me.

So patience and a little understanding towards him as well. ;)

I'm not against you at all, it just felt a bit unfair.

Edited by attika89

Today I got the mail from him and he said other buyers order was processed and shipped before me...

Wow.. I hardly understand why he proceeded another order... It's kind of rude thing

And he just refunded me. I spent whole week inquiring and got nothing.

Today I got the mail from him and he said other buyers order was processed and shipped before me...

Wow.. I hardly understand why he proceeded another order... It's kind of rude thing

And he spent the whole week responding to you, and got nothing out of it. I know that this is a disappointing result for you, but it sounds like:

1. There were communication issues between the two parties.

2. Payment was made without informing the seller, which often happens online, and yes he should have kept his stock updated online, which he failed to do. When you buy something online these days, NO-ONE processes the order - it is all done automatically, so if the seller hasn't kept their stock updated, then you can unilaterally make the purchase without the seller actually doing anything.

3. He always responded promptly, and when he told you that he would check the stocks for the ink the NEXT day, he DID. Furthermore, after realising that he didn't have the product you ordered, he REFUNDED you immediately.

4. He said that other buyers' orders were processed and shipped before yours, was this before or after payment? Did you pay via Ebay? Or did you order on his website?

Now, of course, once again, I understand that this has been frustrating for you, but let's take a step back and calm down a little here.

Getting a fast, relatively easy refund is certainly not horrible service.

I ordered a second pen from them as it was one of the cheapest ways to get another sailor nib. It was economical and I got it in 7 days. My experience has been excellent.

If I recall, the guy has had a 'team' of people since around 2010-2011 or so. So if it's an online shop order (especially if the shopping cart software they use doesn't have stock control), and was handled by one employee before they could update the stock count, then it's wholly possible that another employee processed yours before noticing the item was not in stock.

Curious bout the whole week inquiring. You mean it took a whole week asking where it was before being refunded, or did you get refunded first and then ask the whole week why they goofed?

• 2 weeks later...

I find Engeika's price tends to be higher than other online resellers I was able to buy from.

Edited by Pen2009

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

I'd love to get the info about better prices.

Who's got them?

I find Engeika's price tends to be higher than other online resellers I was able to buy from.

engeika is THE cheapest.

For some reason a few months ago, he stopped auctioning Pilot fountain pens in ebay. Even selling. Probably Pilot did not allow him....

If someone searches his store, will not be able to find Pilot pens easily. First of all he should become a member. After logging in, as a miracle all the Pilot pens appear.

He surely has the best prices. The fact is that you have to negotiate with him.

Still missing the "White Stripe" MYU and black brother MYU with transparent section!

(Has somebody a "Murex" with a working clock?

(Thanks to Steve I found the "Black Stripe Capless" and the "White Stripe Capless")

I've never found anyone cheaper for Japanese pens. Anywhere. But he has been out of stock when I've made enquiries from time to time. Had to buy my Realo elsewhere......

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

I've found some Rakuten sellers to be slightly cheaper (As in, a few dollars cheaper) on a few occasions, but most of the time Engeika has pretty good deals on most pens.