Horrible Experience With Engeika Shop

rochester21

Hello all, I am knew here. I just wanted to place an order to Engeika, not knowing now what to do.

I bought much of my Japanese stuff (Sailor, Pilot, Platinum, inks) from here:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/search/?tl=210246

There are some sellers having international EMS dispatching (15 usd until 300 gr in Europe, 11.6 usd in USA) and others with normal cheaper shipping (for weighty parcels, i.e. Iroshizuku ink bottles). The prices are often 10-15% under Amazon or other sellers. Well, the prices of Engeika.com are invincible. The FPs boutght from Rakuten Global Market were always new, in original boxes and the communication was good. I did not observe yet if the pens were inked before delivery, but I found traces of test ink even on my Parker and Waterman pens bought from the most respectable European authorized retailers.

If Engeika misses to do a good job, I will come back to Rakuten Global Market for the future orders.

Edited by Alex2014

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• ukobke

• proton007

• Pen2009

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got my B nib KOP from Engeika. 'Nuff said. Shipping ran in the area of 10-13 days Japan to Florida I think.

Wow the vitriol of some of the replies makes it seem we are talking about something that is much worse. I have only bought from Engieka once, and my experience so far has been great. Sometimes when we deal with cross cultural e commerce, we have to be a little more tolerant and sympathetic of what's happening behind the scene on the other side, no?

One interesting I experienced during my recent trip in November to Tokyo is the way pen retail works. Retailers don't have pens on display and the rest of the stock ready in boxes to present to customers when they want to make a purchase, a retail practice typical in US stores. Instead, all pens are unboxed and tags removed when they arrive from the manufacturers. The pens are either placed on display or go into a type of storage, either in boxes, (Itoya's practice) or drawers (Tsutaya's practice). When you decide on a purchase, they will make sure the pen is cleaned and polished up. They will also choose a generic box of the right brand. That's unless you bought a very high priced pen that has a specific box. In that way, the Itoya Pilot boxes and the Tsutaya Pilot boxes are different. The Itoya Pilot box is not the typical clam shell box we have here. It's a larger paper box with the pen held on the right in a velvateen cushioned space, and a vinyl pen case on the left. Twice I was told they ran out of the specific brand box, and if I was OK, I could either choose to have the pen in a cheap paper box, or a box from another manufacturer.

Now this is the practice in brick and mortar stores. I don't know what's it like when you buy online. Perhaps it follows the more typical American "stock in the back room" scenario.

Don't know whether this is helpful. But it sure made me aware how different things are around the world.

I have been buying from Taizu (Engeika) for quite a few years. From eBay you do not really know what to expect as far as packages go, though the actual pens arrive in excellent order and well packed. From his store however, I have always received original boxes and sealed pens. I have not consistently found better prices and frankly I am more than satisfied. Now YMMV but like Ghost Plane I vote with my pocket and actually do so too often.

Gistar

I haven't been using and buying fountain pens for a few years, but started to do so a few weeks ago. Most of my new pens were bought from Engeika and I've had good experience with him. Last week I ordered 4 pens through www.engeika.com, but he can't ship them yet as he's awaiting the pen companies to send them. I don't understand why I have to wait 9-12 days working days as they pens were not indicated as being out of stocks on the website. Nonetheless, I will wait patiently and pray that everything goes fine, since he had been true to his words in the past and helpful with me whenever I had queries or wanted to change my orders.

I think I should say this for Taizo. I had some initial jitters when I saw the chatter on the subject here. But now, after 3 pens and some pilot iroshizuku inks, I have to say he is good. On one transaction, I had an issue and he resolved it fast and pleasantly. I think he has multiple people handling customer service so you can see a mixed bag of responses to your communication.

Overall a great guy and his prices are unbeatable.

Thanks,

Sridhar

I have bought from engeika, and have been happy with all of my purchases. The only time I was a bit worried was when they went on vacation, and that was announced, and so I just had to wait patiently. Great service, products

I bought a Platinum on Christmas night from the site. They did announce a shipping slow down over the holidays, but I was a bit nervous since it was a first order. Took about 10 days to get a tracking number. The pen arrived Monday. It took a while, but the pen is fine and the price excellent. He also sent a bonus Wancher (?) pen for free.

I plan to buy another from him sometime soon.

Edited by Aquinata

"Ravens play with lost time."

...Now this is the practice in brick and mortar stores. I don't know what's it like when you buy online. Perhaps it follows the more typical American "stock in the back room" scenario.

Don't know whether this is helpful. But it sure made me aware how different things are around the world.

I recently placed my first order with Engeika. During his holiday promotion with that discount on top of member discount on top of regular great prices, his prices were crazy good on the Sailor I wanted. His email communication was excellent. I typed in the paypal notes exactly what I was paying for and described it as another Sailor had arrived from a US b&m, including the yellow cloth. He clearly indicated that that would not be provided. I did see that he indicates inclusion of a converter is an 'Engeika exclusive' even though they come std when buying at b&m in US.

• 1 month later...

Got my B nib KOP from Engeika. 'Nuff said. Shipping ran in the area of 10-13 days Japan to Florida I think.

That's what I found for shipping to Florida.

I ordered a sterling 1911 large with naginata togi nib from their website.

Order date - Feb 23

Delivery date - March 3

I certainly can't complain about the speed of delivery.

The pen arrived in a simple wooden box without markings. I'd be surprised if that was what Sailor ships them in. There are no tags, but the pen and all the booklets and accessories are there, and the pen was sealed in plastic. It is a brand new pen and shows no signs of even being dipped. It writes incredibly smoothly and is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. I am quite happy with the transaction, and the with a price of under $400 US, I feel like I got a great bargain on a great pen.

I'll happily buy from them in the future. There's a platinum pen softly whispering my name.....

I have two orders with Engeika in the last month and haven’t received either yet. Both have listed as shipped, but are sitting at US customs. Is this common?

I don’t mind waiting 2-3 weeks to get these items, either. The prices more than make it worth it. I’ll post again when I have received them!

I have two orders with Engeika in the last month and haven’t received either yet. Both have listed as shipped, but are sitting at US customs. Is this common?

I don’t mind waiting 2-3 weeks to get these items, either. The prices more than make it worth it. I’ll post again when I have received them!

Curiosity...... Do you think pens sitting in the US customs is a matter of Engeika?

Still missing the "White Stripe" MYU and black brother MYU with transparent section!

(Has somebody a "Murex" with a working clock?

(Thanks to Steve I found the "Black Stripe Capless" and the "White Stripe Capless")

Absolutely not. Which is why I worded my question to those who have ordered items to the US about customs waiting time, not about Engeikas shipping time to the us, which is excellent.

Assuming the pens are what I ordered I hope my positive experience can provide balance to the (few?) people who seem to have had a negative one.

Had pens sit in Customs as long as 7 weeks coming from France, so it's luck of the draw.

They have to go through customs, but shouldn't stay there too long. My last 2 orders stayed 2 days at the most in customs (I am in California).

Edited by zchen

As promised I am checking back in to say that my first order from Engeika arrived within the amount of time he indicated. It was VERY well-packaged, too. All of the items are exactly as described on his site and he even included a free gift!

I am very happy with every aspect of my order.

If you're curious: some Iroshizuku ink, some Sailor ink, and a Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Matte Black F. Again, I am thrilled with how smooth this all went. I will definitely be buying from Engeika very soon!

Last year I bought, on ebay, a Maki-e Wancher with huge titanium nib; but was disappointed to find it was entirely rigid and neither could I get any ink flow out of the thing. I admit that I was slow in sending it back to Taizo-san; but he was gracious and fell over backwards to accommodate me. It has been replaced with a Pilot Custom 743 with Falcon nib (I had some choice in the matter) of which I just took delivery from the mailman about half-an-hour ago. It is gorgeous and I wrote immediately to Taizo to say thank you.

I therefore have no hesitation in recommending his services!

Just ordered a Platinum Higo Zogan 3776 from this place having read all of this thread. Seems to me that the overall experience is a happy one. Have to admit that this is the first online store that I have encountered where I had to join up as a member before I could see the price. Having said that, the prices are really very good so I'm willing to take a chance and see if I can get a very nice pen for a nice price.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a 1911 demonstrator from Engeika a while ago, but after 3 months of wait, on being told that the wait was likely longer, I settled for a common black gold accents 1911. A bit disappointing, but communications were maintained throughout, I guess that Sailor just didn't deliver.

Ander

@=

My FPs and Inks

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up - received my Platinum 3776 Higo Zogan Sakura in very good time.

Think I was a little lucky - the site said to inquire before ordering due to limited stock. Got a very quick reply to say that they had stock of the one that I wanted with the fine nib and to order quickly. I did this and a few days later I received an email with a tracking number. I tracked it as it entered the UK, was delayed a little in Customs and then again because there was duty to pay before I could get my pen.

I now have the pen and I'm loving my first Platinum. Overall took a few weeks but I was not in any rush for it and even with the customs charge, I think I got the pen at a very good price (plus my free gift too).

The urushi lacquered Izumo has now caught my eye, so I ordered one today based on my experience with my first order. Very quick response from Taizo says that it's currently out of stock and will have to be ordered in, but for the price Engeika are selling compared to everybody else, I can wait. The green version is currently on sale on their eBay store, but I can wait for the red one which is the colour I'd really like.