Horrible Experience With Engeika Shop

rochester21

I've bought once from him, it was a pleasant transaction. Errors happen in shipping, its possible that there was a genuine mistake, given the number of orders he's processing (going by eBay alone). Even Amazon makes mistakes sometimes.

But his prices are the lowest I've seen, and unless you wish to collect to sell it later (means you're looking for tags and all) I don't really see any issue as long as the pen is unused and in perfect condition.

Other than that I think the limited editions do need some time to procure.

I placed another order with him a week ago. Lets see how this one turns out. He's been prompt to respond to my mails thus far.

Edited by proton007

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• ukobke

• proton007

• Pen2009

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For reference and information.

I have purchased NEW pens from Japan from multiple sources, including direct from shops.

Pens come with and without stickers.

With stickers, they are often removed by the shop for the benefit of the buyer.

Pens are test-driven in pen shops and never adequately cleaned.

This is a common practice. i dipped over twenty pens, some very high end, in a Kyoto shop and know they were never thoroughly cleaned.

Sailor pens are dipped and test driven in the factory.

Many Japanese pens do not come with cases.

REPEAT, IN BIG HUGE LETTERS... do not come with cases.

If so, the case you get is for your convenience from the seller, not from the factory.

Open plastic baggies.

Pens are never displayed in baggies and often opened for display, testing and trying out by customers.

In my humble opinion and experience, though more limited to older pens, few pens come in plastic baggies.

Better high-end models did not.

Moral: Spend more money and get a nicer.

PS: Buy a Nakaya or Hakase and (bleep) about no sealed baggies. They don't come with them.

Buy from Mottishaw and pay him an extra $15-20 to seal your baggie, if he can seal it at all.

Buy from pen shows where no one sells or seals baggies.

If you want perfection you are in the wrong place.

Besides, whatever floated your boat sank two seconds after you got it. It's now used.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

After going through the thread, I'm finding the OPs reaction is a bit over the top. I understand the sentiments, but I wouldn't say the seller was 'disrespectful' just because the OP got the wrong box. If he reported the issue to the seller, and the seller refused to resolve the situation, then yes there's something going on.

Other than that, I'd say the listing states a 'gift box' is included. So I don't think Taizo would refuse to give the correct box. But saying its 'horrible service' and the like puts the seller in disrepute.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

Thanks, Stan, for that explanation.

I was a little curious about the wrong-box issue myself: based on the general body of experience with Engeika, they appear to be an honest, legit company with some communication, logistics and expectation mismatch issues as they grow. So while labels, unsealed pens etc were relatively minor issues, a different box was a bit of a head-scratcher until you chimed in.

Your explanation provides context and affirms my understanding of Engeika, as described above: good guys, honest guys, but occasionally prone to a few fulfilment-related glitches.

For some, it is going to be worth accepting. For others, it wont be. The good thing is, this thread - once shorn of hyperbole - does provide good solid information so that we can all make our decisions appropriately.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

For reference and information.

I have purchased NEW pens from Japan from multiple sources, including direct from shops.

Pens come with and without stickers.

With stickers, they are often removed by the shop for the benefit of the buyer.

Pens are test-driven in pen shops and never adequately cleaned.

This is a common practice. i dipped over twenty pens, some very high end, in a Kyoto shop and know they were never thoroughly cleaned.

Sailor pens are dipped and test driven in the factory.

Many Japanese pens do not come with cases.

REPEAT, IN BIG HUGE LETTERS... do not come with cases.

If so, the case you get is for your convenience from the seller, not from the factory.

Open plastic baggies.

Pens are never displayed in baggies and often opened for display, testing and trying out by customers.

In my humble opinion and experience, though more limited to older pens, few pens come in plastic baggies.

Better high-end models did not.

Moral: Spend more money and get a nicer.

PS: Buy a Nakaya or Hakase and (bleep) about no sealed baggies. They don't come with them.

Buy from Mottishaw and pay him an extra $15-20 to seal your baggie, if he can seal it at all.

Buy from pen shows where no one sells or seals baggies.

If you want perfection you are in the wrong place.

Besides, whatever floated your boat sank two seconds after you got it. It's now used.

Hello Stan,

It is incorrect and might mislead newbies. On the contrary, many Japanese pens come with boxes and tags, only some do not, the high end etc etc that you are talking about.

Pls check. The company websites clearly and accurately specify the type of box that will accompany the pen (I am most well versed with Pilot and Platinum, I have no idea about sailor since I am not interested in them most of the times).

If there is a tag, it must be removed with permission, if not the buyer has every reason to be upset.

New Vs second hand and depreciation is off topic to this thread. Many people like to buy brand new and depreciate the items on their own. why pay new money and receive depreciated grade goods?

Hari

ETA: We want perfection and we are in the right forum buying the right goods(Japanese), IMO.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hello Stan,

It is incorrect and might mislead newbies. On the contrary, many Japanese pens come with boxes and tags, only some do not, the high end etc etc that you are talking about.

Pls check. The company websites clearly and accurately specify the type of box that will accompany the pen (I am most well versed with Pilot and Platinum, I have no idea about sailor since I am not interested in them most of the times).

If there is a tag, it must be removed with permission, if not the buyer has every reason to be upset.

New Vs second hand and depreciation is off topic to this thread. Many people like to buy brand new and depreciate the items on their own. why pay new money and receive depreciated grade goods?

Hari

ETA: We want perfection and we are in the right forum buying the right goods(Japanese), IMO.

Hari,

In my experience so far, the only 'tag' I've seen on a Japanese pen is the nib size sticker. Other than that, I've never seen a tag, even at retail shops.

The older Pilots do seem to have a price tag, but newer ones, and Sailors don't. Or am I missing something here?

- Alan Watts

Hari,

In my experience so far, the only 'tag' I've seen on a Japanese pen is the nib size sticker. Other than that, I've never seen a tag, even at retail shops.

The older Pilots do seem to have a price tag, but newer ones, and Sailors don't. Or am I missing something here?

Most of my pens from Pilot and Sailor come with a clip tag, like in the following picture:

http://i.imgur.com/zBqbz.jpg

Robert.

Most of my pens from Pilot and Sailor come with a clip tag, like in the following picture:

Hmmm...then I guess it depends on the store. With the Pilots, I've bought two Preras from a brick-and-mortar store but it didn't have any tags. Neither did my Falcon. They still have the nib width sticker though.

A Sailor I bought from another online store didn't have any tag on it either.

Same thing with the case. Most of the times the retailer gives a box separately. The pens themselves are stored in a pen case.

There are times when I've received a pretty nice box compared to the price of the pen because the retailer didn't have any matching box. The opposite has never happened, though.

I think the Japanese B&M stores may have set high standards, but its not a norm in other areas IMO.

Edited by proton007

- Alan Watts

Hari,

Sir,

The following two threads have pics that show how the factory despatches its pens and how the retailer has sold the pens to me. The pics also show the tags. These are respectable mid range pens from the respectable companies.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/222317-pilot-custom-845-b-nib/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/218038-platinum-solid-silver-pts-50000-b-nib/

HTH.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I very much agree with Hari. Obviously, if a pen doesn't come with tags, then the buyer shouldn't be upset. But I think there is a standard here, and it's only okay to deviate from the standard if all parties agree with informed consent that a product isn't new or doesn't have tags.

And yes, not having tags is a "little thing", but things like papers, tags, and boxes add to the experience and serve as markers of authenticity. Without these items, the experience is degraded and the authenticity and/or provenance of an item can be called into question. And again, for some people these things don't matter, but I don't think a merchant should be conducting business as a matter of course selling despoiled goods without informing the buyer.

Edited by Trebor

Sir,

The following two threads have pics that show how the factory despatches its pens and how the retailer has sold the pens to me. The pics also show the tags. These are respectable mid range pens from the respectable companies.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/222317-pilot-custom-845-b-nib/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/218038-platinum-solid-silver-pts-50000-b-nib/

HTH.

Hari,

Thanks for the links.

As I said in the next post, I think Pilot sells the pens with the tags, but my experience has been mixed. Its also possible that the tags for lower ends pens aren't considered to be as significant.

- Alan Watts

I very much agree with Hari. Obviously, if a pen doesn't come with tags, then the buyer shouldn't be upset. But I think there is a standard here, and it's only okay to deviate from the standard if all parties agree with informed consent that a product isn't new or doesn't have tags.

And yes, not having tags is a "little thing", but things like papers, tags, and boxes add to the experience and serve as markers of authenticity. Without these items, the experience is degraded and the authenticity and/or provenance of an item can be called into question. And again, for some people these things don't matter, but I don't think a merchant should be conducting business as a matter of course selling despoiled goods without informing the buyer.

I agree.

I think that 'new' and 'new with tag' may mean different things to some people. The plastic bag is also something I haven't seen for all pens.

- Alan Watts

The lower end pens, including the 7USD non self filling pen comes with a plastic envelope and is stickered.

Stickers are not seemed important?, look at the prices that the so called "NOS stickered and still in polyethene wrap!!!" Myu and Murex fetch today, those were the low end offerings from Pilot in their time.

The lower end pens, including the 7USD non self filling pen comes with a plastic envelope and is stickered.

Stickers are not seemed important?, look at the prices that the so called "NOS stickered and still in polyethene wrap!!!" Myu and Murex fetch today, those were the low end offerings from Pilot in their time.

Sure, I get it from the collector perspective. But sticker or no sticker, the condition of the pen is more important.

- Alan Watts

As Hari has already commented, many models of brand new pens from Pilot, Platinum and Sailor are packed in a sealed bag with a tag on the clip.

I feel more comfortable when my "new" pen is in a sealed bag as that will at least dispel any doubt something careless was done with the pen by someone if that pen exhibits some "characters," which could be hard to verify if they were a defect from the factory or were done sometime after leaving a factory.

For wooden pens, I want mine in a sealed bag. I just hate to question if that color on the wooden pen is a patina by a stranger.

Edited by Pen2009

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

For wooden pens, I want mine in a sealed bag. I just hate to question if that color on the wooden pen is a patina by a stranger.

If you don't mind, I would like to ask you from where you bought your Sailor Precious Wood of the World pens, and how much they set you back.

Three months ago, I purchased 2 pens from Engeika. One Pilot Custom 823 and one Pilot Custom 845, which is very hard to find in the US. I first purchased the 823 and a few days later emailed Taizo to see if he would combine shipping for both pens if I also purchased the 845. He responded fairly quickly and the transactions were completed. When the pens arrived (very well packed) they looked NEW to me. I don't remember the clip tags, but I wasn't looking for them, I wanted to use my new pens. I do remember the nib size sticker on the body of the pens, because it was a pain to remove. They came with the correct boxes (for Japan, not US, which I researched) as well as all the other stuff that usually comes with the pens. I carefully checked them for scratches, usage, etc. and found nothing. I haven't had any issue with either pen, they are my new favourite writers now.

I must admit that I was a little apprehensive of spending $$$ (both pens are not cheap!!) half way around the world, online, no less !! I had my pens within 3 weeks, partly because I stopped the transaction to add the second pen.

I didn't experience any issues, in fact the whole process was fairly painless. I would definitely buy from Engeika again. I'm not affiliated with anybody, just reporting my transaction details for others to digest.

Edited by f2002q

I've purchased from Taizo twice. One was not a perfect experience with respect to communication, but frankly and especially for the prices, I do not expect absolute perfection. I can't comment on the issue of tags but I agree with what Stan said with respect to wanting absolute perfection. If I wanted absolute perfection, I'd purchase from a brick and mortar store where I can see the pen and ensure every single tag is available, no corners folded and the pen sealed. Of course, I don't. I liken it to not expecting perfect nibs with every cheap(er) pen I buy. But ymmv I suppose. I just think it's quite a pity for people to be jumping onto the seller over tags and the wrong box (admittedly alarming but not exactly the end of the world if the pen is in perfect working condition).

And for the record, the pens were in perfect condition - all three of them.

Edited by daintydimsum

My most recent experience with Engeika:

Sunday (7 July): Enter bid for a Pilot 845 that I've had an eye on for some time.

Thursday (11 July): Bid turns out to be the winning one. My bid surpasses a last second snipe by $1.50. Wow!

Friday: Write to Taizo asking if the pen can be shipped to a different address because I'm traveling. Get prompt response: yes, but blah blah.

Sunday: Pay through PayPal.

Monday: Get notification of shipping and the tracking no. Check with EMS Japan and see confirmation.

Thursday: Pen is delivered into my hot little hands in San Francisco. Open packaging: no seal, no tag, but it is obviously a brand new pen. Pop cartridge provided in package, and am a very happy owner of a new Pilot 845 pen.

How does this compare with some recent acquisitions?

May, Fook Hing, Singapore. Superb store, the best I've seen. But some of the pens I bought had been dipped. Get boxes and tags, and excellent service. No complaints whatsoever.

May: Bunkidou (Rakuten online, Japan). The transaction eventually works out, but after numerous calls with my credit card company and utterly confused correspondence - for no fault of Bunkidou. Pain in the neck, not worth what I saved.

June, BHV Paris (a reputed department store). Spot a GvFC Anello Titanium offered at an attractive price during their June sales, and go for it. Reach home, open it, find that the pen has not only been dipped, but also most definitely been inked. Go back to BHV. Voices are raised, but I return with a brand new undipped uninked pen.

June, Bon Marche, Paris (another reputed department store, if anything more upscale than BHV). Buy an expensive Waterman at close to full price (wasn't paying from my own pocket so didn't care). Come home and see the box is not for that pen. The pen has been dipped, but not inked. Go back to them, etc.

I buy pens often from my friendly neighborhood papeterie in Paris. They give me generous discounts, and get me pens on special order. However, if I buy something from their showcase, then the pen has been dipped already and tried out by others (though not inked). And why not? I can't expect a small store to keep copies of expensive pens such as GvFC Classic only for testing. They can't afford to.

This was my 20th purchase from Engeika. One of them had a blemish. The problem was minor, and I didn't get around to corresponding with Taizo (so, I don't know if he would have done anything). In three other cases, delivery times were unreasonably long. All the pens were bought at prices I could not find anywhere else.

How do I rate Engeika? Taizo makes mistakes, particularly in delivery. However, I have yet to come across another retailer (including B&M and very reputed online names) who does not. (One such retailer - an iconic name on these FPN boards - took payment 3 months ago but has still not sent the pen - for unanticipated reasons, I might add). On the other hand, Engeika provides a really good assortment of pens at very good prices. And his pens tend to work the first time of asking. I'll happily buy from him again.

I guess YMMV on what to expect from a retailer, but I'm really surprised at the vitriol being heaped on Engeika. Taizo is no worse than anyone else, and has a lot going for him. Just MO.

Edited by Simius

I have won 8 pens on e-bay auctions, 2 of them from Taizo. He gave me excellent service and provided me with two brand new Sailor pens, in boxes, uninked and did so in jig time (6 days) for a mere $13.00 delivery fee all the way from Japan. Unlike the others who try to scam more money by charging outrageous costs for shipping. e.g. recently I saw an auction for an Aurora Optima Auroloide pen and did not participate because the dealer was asking $89.00 to ship the pen from Illinois to Canada. In my case a whole 690 miles to my doorstep. Ludicrous! And that is just one example. Another is $57.00 from Florida to my home and it took the better part of two weeks to get to me.

Taizo may make mistakes from time to time like any human being might, but he doesn't try to shaft you, not from my experiences and many others I have read about here. I will deal with him again without fear of malpractices such as the ones I mentioned above.

Cheers

Leo

Leo James Mitchell