Horrible Experience With Engeika Shop

rochester21

Reading the posts there appears an unresolvable level of perfection desired.

Shipping time?

Communication?

Packaging?

Whining deserves a few chuckles.

I have NEVER done business with engeika orTaizo and do not plan on it, so, I have nothing to gain or lose. In over ten years of dealings with Japanese sellers, big - small - corporate - shopkeepers - individuals - etc. my experiences run the gamut of issues. I have watched this entity grow from a small seller on eBay to a decent sized provider of pens and good for him. i wish him the best. In context, my purchases have been in the $10 to thousands of dollars for individual pens or lots. By now, I guess I have heard it all and been there - done that.

If not Taizo, who will you get your pens from at such a decent price?

Shop Yahoo Japan and you can probably find the same pen for less, shipping included.

Afraid?

Try Rakuten?

An eBay-like culture where anything and everything to our dissatisfaction is noted and returned or our money back is requested.

Sad!

Pilot vs. Namiki - Do your homework!

Packaging - They come both packaged and unpackaged.

Inked - New pens are often inked in stores.

Communication - Yes. Difficult. Foreign language.

Shipping - It's called the post office and it is no more efficient or satisfactory than post offices in your country.

Boxes - Pens from the factory often do not come in boxes. This can be a retailer responsibility and additional free service.

Suggestions:

1. If your pen is a gift, send a note requesting specific packaging, etc. or whatever you need first. This might help.

2. If a gift, spend a few extra bucks and get it from a real stick-and-brick company. We should not be cheap with friends or family.

3. If cheap, shop around. Explore other resources.

4. Visit shows if possible and see what you desire first hand.

5. Do your homework. I hesitate to see the car you drive.

6. Be patient and understanding. Japanese are not Americans.

7. Communicate well. Use simple terminology. Write good English - not Twitterish. Never demand nor be the Ugly American.

8. Pens are not an inexpensive hobby. Like any hobby, you may need to take a hit once in awhile.

Remember. This is a hobby. Not your mission in life. Enjoy!

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• ukobke

• proton007

• Pen2009

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a very very big story. All people in this thread are Japanese fountain pen collectors.

I have bought from Taizo many many pens. I never had a problem with them. They were all brand new, after examining them with a 30X magnifier.

All my pens have arrived in mostly 4 working days from payment day. Once I had a problem with a Custom 74 music nib. The nib was damaged by a friend of mine. I asked Taizo to help me on this with Pilot. For some reason the pen arrived in three days and Taizo found it out in 25 days.

What he did? He sent to me a brand new custom 74 music nib. He was not obliged, but I was treated perfectly.

I have asked myself for the tags. He replied that he does it because of the customs of some countries. He always sends the pens as gifts for this reason.

Recently I ordered an Elite asking him the TAGS anyway. He replied he would.

I really want the tags and the pens sealed. But the price is so low compared to other sellers that I am ....confused.

And another thing..... I order a pen from a friend in Japan. He sent it to me without tags. He told me that the store as policy never gives the tags. It is probably a Japanese custom maybe....? My friend had no reason to send it without tags.

I do not believe they are stock from other sellers. Sometimes he is the first seller to bring a pen. Justus for instance...

Namiki and Pilot are the same. There is no difference in the falcon you ordered. There is a metal and a resin falcon. Depends on what you want...

Edited by ukobke

Still missing the "White Stripe" MYU and black brother MYU with transparent section!

(Has somebody a "Murex" with a working clock?

(Thanks to Steve I found the "Black Stripe Capless" and the "White Stripe Capless")

I wish I had read more about him.I ordered and paid for a Pilot pen .It has been 10 days and no shipping.He sent me an email stating that it was on order,but claimed to have 10 in stock.Clearly this man is a liar.I started a claim and only want a refund at this time.Let us say what it is.Fraud.Selling goods you do not possess.

Due to a glitch in the forums software this thread has looped.

Everyone please post your responses again. Carry on and don't panic.

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

Last i read on fpn, the 'Namiki Falcon' was marketed for overseas, whereas the 'Pilot Elabo' was marketed for domestic customers.

Fraud.Selling goods you do not possess.

Not really. Every online vendor I've ordered from has sometimes had stuff listed in stock which has turned to be sold out. That isnt fraud.

You are within your rights to ask for a refund - but let's not get overly dramatic here and start crying fraud, murder, interstellar space terrorism or whatever. Because that is where this thread is going - conjecture on one page being repeated as facts in another.

There is enough evidence that Engeika's post-sales service can be spotty, and that they dont always provide the original box/papers or sealed pens. That is useful info and should be taken into account by prospective buyers before making a choice to buy from them.

But let's save some of the hyperbole for more appropriate areas, shall we?

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

In case you see Engeika's feedback, you will notice that there is 99.6% satisfaction from around 23000 customers. We all who collect fountain pens (very expensive "sport") are very strict in our hobby. That is well done by us.

As I wrote before, I have purchased more than 100 pens from him and I received them all mostly in four working days. In US all mail is checked by the post office and all items from US (express mail please...) come to me in 40 days!!!!! This is not a problem of the seller of course but of the US borders.

On the other hand, I want to show to you a pen of more than $ 3.000 retail price which I have purchased from Engeika for $400. This pen is shown to a thread https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/239488-sailor-kirameki-urushi-and-gold-powder/ not by me, but another member.

AND PLEASE NOTICE THAT THE SEALED PEN HAS NO TAG.

This is the way I received it from Engeika too, (sealed) but no tag.

To my opinion, Engeika is an excellent seller and our member Stan +1 wrote what it should be written.

Still missing the "White Stripe" MYU and black brother MYU with transparent section!

(Thanks to Steve I found the "Black Stripe Capless" and the "White Stripe Capless")

My Sailor Profit Junior arrived in 11 days from Japan. Looks at least as good as new, an uninked demonstrator.

I'm not complaining.

On the other hand, I want to show to you a pen of more than $ 3.000 retail price which I have purchased from Engeika for $400. This pen is shown to a thread https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/239488-sailor-kirameki-urushi-and-gold-powder/ not by me, but another member.

Not sure how you arrived at your conclusion. A USD 3000 pen to boot! I have not mentioned anything about the price and where I got it. Maybe it is better not to be too presumptuous? Just my unsolicited feedback.

Edited by Pen2009

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Just received my first purchase from Engeika. I won a Sailor King of Pro Gear on ebay. Paid immediately with PayPal. Was very pleased with the low price and Taizo's in-depth communication. The pen arrived in its box and appeared mint though it had been dip tested as indicated by a tiny amount of residual blue ink in the ink channel-- big deal.

Here's the truly stunning aspect; the well packaged pen arrived on the east coast of the US a mere four and a half days after I paid for it. I find that extraordinary! I'll certainly purchase from Taizo again if he has another pen I can't live without.

I just got my pen from Taizo. No sealed plastic but I requested a nib inspection so it wasn't a surprise. Pen looks good otherwise.

Glad it worked out and I'll be willing to buy from him again if he's got something I'm looking for.

Robert.

Not sure how you arrived at your conclusion. A USD 3000 pen to boot! I have not mentioned anything about the price and where I got it. Maybe it is better not to be too presumptuous? Just my unsolicited feedback.

Please read carefully what I wrote!

I wrote that I have the same fountain pen too!!

Please, I repeat I have this pen too!!

Concerning the price you can go to rakuten and check yourself. I was not writing how much you bought, but how much I bought it from Engeika. I bought it as "Limited order SAILOR Paint of Thrillion of Spring Kirameki Sparkle Black 21K F.P". He was mentioning a price of $2.500. I checked the price at that time to RAKUTEN and some sellers there had this extreme price.

Only two pens were sold from Engeika. If somebody wants to buy from Rakuten (price decreased) to $1500 then http://item.rakuten.co.jp/hunnyhunt/sailor-10-8200/

I hope it is all cleared.

Of course, I realize that others might feel differently - but if so, perhaps they should consider paying full retail from nibs.com or a similar place. Each to their own.

. YMMV.

That's what I ended up doing. It worked out well.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Just received my first purchase from Engeika. I won a Sailor King of Pro Gear on ebay. Paid immediately with PayPal. Was very pleased with the low price and Taizo's in-depth communication. The pen arrived in its box and appeared mint though it had been dip tested as indicated by a tiny amount of residual blue ink in the ink channel-- big deal.

Here's the truly stunning aspect; the well packaged pen arrived on the east coast of the US a mere four and a half days after I paid for it. I find that extraordinary! I'll certainly purchase from Taizo again if he has another pen I can't live without.

At least four of my pens from Taizo arrived within four days, could not believe it. All tags have been in place, some pens not sealed in plastic, but all flawless.

I like him and consider him a gentleman.

It is not a joke....but I have purchased many Danitrio from Kevin. I am 100% satisfied from the pen and Kevin of course. Oh Oh There was no tag !!!!

I also dream a Nakaya tag in plastic .....yeah and a Hakase tag....

I also miss tags and plastic in Monteverde...Jesus.... my Montblanc 149 has no tag too ...

I ordered a pen from his store. I received his standard email saying he would let me know if the pen was out of stock. After two weeks, I started to push him on the status of the pen, only then did I get an email saying it was out of stock and I could expect it soon. After almost another week of soons, I asked for a refund, and he claimed he could not refund through Paypal over the weekend, but he was posting all sorts or auctions on eBay. I did get my refund. This week, chasing Gamma violet ink, I was led to a Russian pen forum where this same topic was discussed. I suspect his business has outgrown his expectations and he is having growing pains. I watch his auctions, but.....

It is not a joke....but I have purchased many Danitrio from Kevin. I am 100% satisfied from the pen and Kevin of course. Oh Oh There was no tag !!!!

I also dream a Nakaya tag in plastic .....yeah and a Hakase tag....

I also miss tags and plastic in Monteverde...Jesus.... my Montblanc 149 has no tag too ...

I actually purchased a brand new Sailor 1911 set directly from Sailor using a proxy, it didn't have tags either.

After having 3 excellent experiences with Engeika on eBay a couple of years or so ago, I recently ordered and paid for a FP through his website. I was asked to wait a few days because the FP had been ordered from the manufacturer (even though the website gave the impression that it was in stock at his outlet). However, 17 days later I am none the wiser as to when it may become available, if at all. At this juncture, I cancelled the order and asked for a refund of payment.

In my mind, I wouldn't go so far as calling it fraud as yet (because it all depends on how long it takes to get my refund), but I am feeling disappointed that this time I did not get the same service as of old. It's not quite the wait that's irksome, but being left in the cold about the expected availability of ordered goods.

I think that is mostly conjecture at this point. Just because the seal is opened doesnt make it "not new". The different box is a bit strange, but again, there could be many reasons for that.

The main complaint against them is slow replies when people have had potential issues. It is a long jump from there to say that "many of their pens arent really new", IMO.

This was the post I was referring to:

2. he (or his shipping agent Japan Post) may ship an "opened" item to you as new. When he is being pointed out on that front, he will tell you his 3rd party logistics provider is receiving and picking and he cannot directly control what his contractor does. When you receive a "new" pen (if a new is typically shipped in a sealed package by the manufacturer) without being sealed (in a plastic bag), that is an open item product. This can be a return from a department store in Japan. He will advise you that Japanese pen makers are releasing the "returned" pens from department stores which have been shut down due to poor retail economy in Japan. Therefore, he will advise you he will not be able to control what Japan Post ships as it is just shipping what it receives from the "manufacturers."

I have no idea how Taizo sources his pens. If Taizo's pens aren't straight-from-the-factory-brand-spankin'-new, and have been tried out a few times at a department store, I couldn't care less about that. Many pens from B&M stores go through that and are sold as new, and many online sellers relist returned pens as new. If they're still in perfect condition I think that's perfectly ethical and any pen from Taizo shouldn't really be any worse off. The problem for me would be if the pens were noticeably shelf-worn and sustained micro-scratches, dents, etc. as they were going through customers' hands either at the store or if they had been purchased and returned. I think the condition of such pens should be noted by the seller, and if Taizo sold such a pen to me because he's grown too big too fast and his quality control is slipping, we'd have a problem. My first post did sound rather alarmist and I hope this clarifies my point. I haven't read any real horror stories yet about anyone's experience with Taizo and I hope my upcoming purchase will go smoothly (still waiting for my new credit card to come in... :glare: hurry up post office before my pen gets sold! :gaah: )

I've never bought from Engeika, though I've looked at his items, but I appreciate the views in this thread. Receiving unfiltered feedback like this is a rare and useful commodity.

As far as his business practices, I think it's a valid complaint if an item is marketed as "New" to receive it without tags or in another company's box. I think some people are construing the definition of "new" too strictly. When I buy something new, I certainly expect it to be straight out of the factory condition.

While I have no problem with buying something in other-than-new condition, I do think this needs to be explained and disclosed by the seller. Caveat emptor applies to some extent, but in all fairness, you can't really expect people to guess at the condition of your product or misrepresent what you are selling.