1967 Mb 149 W/18C Nib On Ebay - Ending Soon

JLS1

Hi everyone,

In my never-ending (and expensive) quest for vintage MB pens, I noticed a 60's era 149 w/an 18C nib that was just listed on eBay here and ends just before 6 PM (EDT) today; the pen has an 18C (not K) nib and looks like it's in pretty good condition. Note that the seller only ships to US, so this might appeal only to those already in the states.

DISCLAIMER 1: I'm just posting this in case some FPN'ers in the US might not have noticed this and the auction end is very soon. If it violates the FPN rules, the mods have the right to remove this topic.

DISCLAIMER 2: I'm associated with neither this auction's seller or eBay more generally in any way, shape or form outside of furthering my hobby of spending far too much time and money chasing far too many pens.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daniele

• hari317

• georges zaslavsky

• Chrissy

Late '70 or early '80, i think... plastic threads, split ebonite feed. Only the nib is from the '60 (IMHO).

Nice pen, good condition, bi-colour 18C nib, possibly 1967, but surprising to see what appears to be the later, split ebonite feed, maybe a replacement .

At that price, it will probably be re-listed, much better photos would benefit the Seller, as would a 1967 receipt from Long Island.

This nib is described as the much discussed "French Market" 18C, some collectors suggesting the bc 18C was also installed on pens shipped to markets outside of France.

See the pinned topic "Dating Montblanc 149s", top of the Forum Index.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/170282-dating-montblanc-149s/page-3

He/she is trying to sell a "Meisteruck".

These are very rare! :D

:D It's not a bad attempt when you compare it with some others. We often see Meisterstrucks.

I always prefer the 149 to have an 18K nib rather than a 14K nib. If that means it's newer then that's fine.

Edited by Chrissy

Nice pen, good condition, bi-colour 18C nib, possibly 1967, but surprising to see what appears to be the later, split ebonite feed, maybe a replacement .

At that price, it will probably be re-listed, much better photos would benefit the Seller, as would a 1967 receipt from Long Island.

This nib is described as the much discussed "French Market" 18C, some collectors suggesting the bc 18C was also installed on pens shipped to markets outside of France.

See the pinned topic "Dating Montblanc 149s", top of the Forum Index.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/170282-dating-montblanc-149s/page-3

Aside France, Canada used to have 18c nibs but also Hari insisted than in Asia there were a lot of pens with 18c nibs.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

FWIW, I have bought a fairly large number of 18C marked nib 149s from the USA with the original owners having bought the pen in USA. The pen in the listing was also bought in USA by the seller's father.

I have also found a lot of 149s with 18C marked nib in Indonesia.

In the absence of access to factory records, based on my observations, I conclude that MB did indeed supply 18C nibs to various parts of the world and not just to one country.

The feeder might be a later replacement but it is not a demerit in my view.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hello,

the pen has not only a later feed but also has a long humped clip and piston thread with flat ring... i think that only the nib is from '60's...

Hello,

the pen has not only a later feed but also has a long humped clip and piston thread with flat ring... i think that only the nib is from '60's...

Hi Daniele,

In my opinion, it has the correct curved shoulder clip. Can you pls show an example of the clip you think should be there on this pen? It will be helpful. also all screw in fillers of pens from resin era have the flat ring at piston, the curved ones as far as i know were on the telescopic and later press fit fillers.

I have attached pics from auction for ready reference:

fpn_1373307085__t2ec16nyge9s7hhqtebr03tc

fpn_1373307061__t2ec16jzce9s4g0vstbr0500

fpn_1373307044__t2ec16fwse9suwyzdbr03szs

fpn_1373307020__t2ec16fw0e9sznw47br03sbw

fpn_1373306986__kgrhqfrkfg9-ujznbr050jn9

fpn_1373306802__kgrhqfqcfhrrb3h4sbr03tys

Thanks!

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hello Hari,

i think that from the '60's the 149 has the press fit fillers, the "rounded" ring and the turning knob has a "little step":

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/daniele_teppa/DSCN4694.jpg

From the '70 piston threads and "flat" ring (like the pen in auction).

As soon as possible pics with the "short humped clip".

Hi Daniele,

thanks for pics. the press fit filler was very short lived only for few years and stopped before end of 60th.

I have not seen a fully rounded ring on the screw in filler from the late 60th.

the section difference is interesting, is the top pen in your picture having a press fit filler? if yes, that will explain the matter.

Reg the clips, yes I went to the pentrace article and it seems clip humps were all around the place with a lot of variation as per the article from where the pic has come amd it seems not a very good way to estimate the age of pen.

Best

Hari

Nice 149s Daniele :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Hi Daniele,

thanks for pics. the press fit filler was very short lived only for few years and stopped before end of 60th.

I have not seen a fully rounded ring on the screw in filler from the late 60th.

the section difference is interesting, is the top pen in your picture having a press fit filler? if yes, that will explain the matter.

Reg the clips, yes I went to the pentrace article and it seems clip humps were all around the place with a lot of variation as per the article from where the pic has come amd it seems not a very good way to estimate the age of pen.

Best

Hari

Hello Hari,

yes, if i see only the clip isn't a good way... but when i read "149 made in 1967" i like to see a pen with these features: rounded ebonite feed, piston fit, rounded ring, short humped clip, collar and barrel threads like the pics, 3-tone nib (14c or 18c). Perhaps MB stopped this pen in '68 or '69 and the following pen - different section, piston threads, solid ebonite feed etc. - is a typical "149 from early '70" or, if you prefer, from 1969 to 1975 ca.

Yes, the pen in the pic has the press filler (the pic in #12 and #13 top are from the same pen).

Best regards

Daniele