Do You Guys Let Others Use Your Pens?

rumbleroar

it depend who ask but often i propose it myself,i love to see people enjoying my pen and finding it write a lot nicer than theyr bic but i stay just near to it and i told them to be careful

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• GabrielleDuVent

• rumbleroar

• ac12

My father-in-law would wash with alcohol anything that anyone else touched. If anyone touches any of my pens, I wash the pen in soap and water, because I don't want someone else's germs. Further, if someone touches one of my pens, I feel they have touched something really personal, and I wash the pen in soap and water.

I really, really do not like anyone else using my pens. As with Cheez-its, buy your own.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

if i trust someone and know he uses fountain pens, i could borrow him mines for short but in my presence.

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use

MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)

MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)

Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)

Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

It depends on the pen, the person and the situation. I encourage the members of my pen posse to try anything I have with me. I have had a situation where a man snatched a pen from my breast pocket, but I was very quick and grabbed his wrist and told him that if he wanted to use that pen he would have to give me a $1400 deposit first, in case he abused it. On other occasions I have just handed it to them and told them to keep it, and contact me when they need to learn to refill it. Other times I have taken a leaf out of Ethernautrix book and sadly shaken my head and said "no, I am so sorry". Once when I was out of the house a builder came in to use my office phone to order something and he took up my Montblanc flex stub to write a note on a sticky. I was unable to make much of a big deal about it because he passed away soon after. There is no one single response because while I value and baby some things, I do like to encourage people.

Ow! Did she even offer to replace the nib that she damaged?

No, but in fairness I'm sure she didn't even realize it, and it was my fault for just handing it over to her. Live and learn...

No. Letting another person use my fountain pen is like mixing scotch with soft drink.

I let others use my lammy because it is cheap and durable but the only person I let use my pelikan is my dad who has a great deal of experience using fountain pens

Depends on the person and what the motives are?

If a person just needs a pen to write down something, I hand them the ballpoint I always carry with whichever fountain pen is with me. There's no reason to risk damage to an expensive pen from someone who doesn't know how to use one and is not interested in anything at that moment other than the task of scribbling down some information.

If a person has time, expresses interest, I give them a brief introduction to fountain pen use. Explain that extra pressure can hurt the nib.try to explain how important it is to let the nib do the work. Usually, I am less nervous with a steel nib than an 18K nib that's already been fine tuned by a Nibmeister.

I am always happy to introduce people to fountain pen use if they have a little time and interest. If not, I loan them the ballpoint.

If I know the person knows fountain pen use and understands the delicacy of the instrument I will loan them the fountain pen.

However, people are not always as careful with a brief loan of a fountain pen and I have been burned similar to "rumbleroar's" story above with damage to a nib. Therefore, the unwillingness to loan out a fountain pen is directly proportioned the cost and importance of the the pen.

Best regards

bluesky

I used to carry around a Parker rollerball with me to lend to people but I've found myself just lending out my MB 145 more and more without worries. People around me just started respecting my pens more and more :)

To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world.

No. Letting another person use my fountain pen is like mixing scotch with soft drink.

People do that? :sick:

People do that? :sick:

I believe so, and that some of them even put water in with scotch, my great grandmother used to say "Scotch is for drinking, and water is for washing , and nay the two shall mix." That was as bad as someone asking to use my silver with a Platinum coat Mont Blanc Noblesse !!!!!

I really don't think they deserve pity; I think they deserve a big slap across their hands. Grabbing anything out of anyone's hands is rude. You ask for permission, then wait for it to be handed over.

The fellow who grabbed it out of the hand should be glad it was only a pen. If it was a pair of scissors (and yes, I've seen people grab THOSE out of others' grasps as well), someone could have been injured.

Thank you! I am still really mad about this.

I encourage other people to try them - let them know the joy of writing with one. I do tell them first how to use it.

I tend to let people borrow my pens if they want to.

Me, too. My daily writers are old Sheaffers with Triumph nibs. People are welcome to use them. The nibs are built to write through four layers of carbon copies, so ballpoint users can't hurt them. If they try to write with the nib facing down--and they do, it's no problem. The nibs are ground on the top for reverse writing. My Triumphs survived decades of use before I got them. I am not worried about people hurting them now.

Carpe Stilo

I never allow my fountain pens to be used or touched by others, except by pen doctors at a pen clinic. I am rather very protective of my own personal properties, including my computer and mobile equipment. Of course, I don't say that out loud outside the internet world. :) I am very discreet at work so that my pet peeves are hidden. No point drawing such an attention to myself.

Edited by Pen2009

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

I did that when my best friend and I were teenagers - probably 14 or 15, nipping the Scotch from her parents and mixing it with TAB (anyone else remember TAB?). We also smoked cigarettes we'd bought from the vending machine at Zim's on Geary Boulevard. I threw up for hours and felt sick for two full days.

I learned a lesson. These many years later, it's been seven years and seven months since I've smoked a cigarette, ages since I've drunk a soda, and I sip whisky neat.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

It isn't selfish to decline another's request to use your property if you can't easily replace it if the person asking is likely not to appreciate the value nor understand his obligation to make it right if he ruins it.

Never say never, but, you know... use your discretion. That's what it's for.

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.