Visionnaire Fountain Pen

millerb7

Hi

One of our new members, Merlin87, reports he backed the pen and recently received it. He indicates the pen works decently.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stopher

• heymatthew

• TheGreatRoe

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi

One of our new members, Merlin87, reports he backed the pen and recently received it. He indicates the pen works decently.

D.ick

That's good to hear. Despite all the negativity surrounding the pen, I'm still hoping it will be decent. I'm also curious to compare it to some $250-500 pens as well since that's what Morgan claims it rivals. Does Merlin87 have a written review around that you can link to? Would love to read his thoughts.

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

That's good to hear. Despite all the negativity surrounding the pen, I'm still hoping it will be decent. I'm also curious to compare it to some $250-500 pens as well since that's what Morgan claims it rivals. Does Merlin87 have a written review around that you can link to? Would love to read his thoughts.

Just a short quote in his welcome topic....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

This whole saga has been incredibly interesting and entertaining. I didn't back it, but I sure did enjoy it :)

This whole saga has been incredibly interesting and entertaining. I didn't back it, but I sure did enjoy it :)

It has been interesting. Now we just need the dramatic final act.

It has been interesting. Now we just need the dramatic final act.

Alas, no surprises whatsoever: apparently the pen comes in a fancy-ish packaging, as promised, and it's a usual few dollars pen, as expected. Next people will put India ink in it, as shown in some of the advertisement videos, the pen will cease working in couple days and will get neglected and forgotten. As usual.

"This is the way the pen saga ends

Not with a bang but an Indian ink clogged whimper."

With apologies to T.S. Eliot :rolleyes:

Edited by mikehodgman

It will be interesting to see where Mr. Combes lands up in a year.

Either a multimillionaire or selling used cars at Harry's Deals On Wheels.

Alas, no surprises whatsoever: apparently the pen comes in a fancy-ish packaging, as promised, and it's a usual few dollars pen, as expected. Next people will put India ink in it, as shown in some of the advertisement videos, the pen will cease working in couple days and will get neglected and forgotten. As usual.

Well I am new here, and yes I backed the Visionaire kickstarter, not because I took note of the projects claims (for those that did, if you believe all the claims fine, if not also fine, as long as you do not feel duped); but because I liked the look of the pen and £25 was a more than reasonable sum to pay for a metal body design... I have a Noir pen, with the 'upgraded' converter and no rattles... since in the UK a tacky plastic fountain pen suitable for school work would cost maybe half the price of the Visionaire I am happy with it... using Waterman ink I got with a Calligraphy set, so hopefully it will be fine... I got what I paid for and am happy with it... as for the Alibaba listing... I say Full Metal Jacket to that (this is my pen, there are many like it....). Do I feel it was overpriced? I have pledged over $1000 to help create the "Star Citizen" video game, which I will possibly never play, and all for maybe $100 worth of physical rewards and a lot of never to be used digital goods... cost is totally relative... Edited by Sundagger

Well I am new here, and yes I backed the Visionaire kickstarter, not because I took note of the projects claims (for those that did, if you believe all the claims fine, if not also fine, as long as you do not feel duped); but because I liked the look of the pen and £25 was a more than reasonable sum to pay for a metal body design... I have a Noir pen, with the 'upgraded' converter and no rattles... since in the UK a tacky plastic fountain pen suitable for school work would cost maybe half the price of the Visionaire I am happy with it... using Waterman ink I got with a Calligraphy set, so hopefully it will be fine... I got what I paid for and am happy with it... as for the Alibaba listing... I say Full Metal Jacket to that (this is my pen, there are many like it....). Do I feel it was overpriced? I have pledged over $1000 to help create the "Star Citizen" video game, which I will possibly never play, and all for maybe $100 worth of physical rewards and a lot of never to be used digital goods... cost is totally relative...

I'm sure with a minimal care the pen will work okay. And, well, all of us happen to buy things, which might be unnecessary: some out of curiosity, some out of a good deed, some out of misjudgment. People, who supported Visionnaire, were as honest as a normal person can be. They didn't bring some blah-blah to a discussion, those any time could be had for free in any amount, but they backed up an idea with their money. I am, however, quite annoyed with the initiator and with the whole state of affairs, when something ultimately mediocre can get supported so enthusiastically.

I'm sorry that you have had to hear all these unpleasant things about this particular pen and this project. You supported what you thought was worth it and thanks to you and other fine people of Kickstarter many good projects get implemented.

My friend told me he backed the visionnaire as his first fountain pen and he seems pretty excited; I haven't told him about the possible controversy yet because I didn't want to rain on his parade. I'll be meeting up with him again during Thanksgiving holidays, hopefully I'll get to test out the pen and see its quality for myself.

Okay but still pot and kettle really, more of a useful question for you guys is: What is a gpod/best second stage pen, in say the £50/$75 range?

What are you looking for in a fountain pen? From my limited experience I would recommend the TWSBI 580. I've been using the older 530 almost exclusively for 3 years with very little issues.

...From my limited experience I would recommend the TWSBI 580. I've been using the older 530 almost exclusively for 3 years with very little issues.

TWSBI. Yep. I sold my TWSBI Mini and several other pens to fund a Grail Pen purchase. The TWSBI is the only one I regret. I'm waiting for the TWSBI 580 color to come out so I can correct my mistake.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

This project is garbage. The fact that it raised over a half-million dollars strains my credulity.

Edit: I said this before reading the entire thread. Guess I was on the right track, regardless.

Edited by superfreeka

Deodorant can't fix ugly.

That is just sad. I always want to believe the best in everyone and then to see someone could hold up such a lie when people are calling him out on it! Maybe Morgan and Rob Ford are friends?

Time to put Pen to Paper