Visionnaire Fountain Pen

millerb7

I SO wish I would have done a little more research about Fountain Pens before supporting Visionaire on Kickstarter. It was my first FP, and since I had absolutely NOTHING to compare it to, I was elated when it arrived a couple of weeks ago. I emptied all the ink cartridges that came with the pen within a week and started doing a TON more research onilne about pens and ink. I caught the FP bug :)

I ordered some Noodler's Black and a Lamy Safari F because of the great reviews on FPN and other sites...

My Lamy Safari arrived two days ago and I haven't picked up the Visionnaire since. It's not that I dislike the Visionaire pen - I have hardly anything else to compare it to - I just like the Safari better. After spending hours the past several days watching videos, researching pens and inks, and reading hundreds of posts on FPN, I am 100% certain there are MUCH better pens available for $37 or less. Put in an order last night for a Pilot Metropolitan and a Noodlers Ahab, both I'm certain to be at the same level as the Visionaire, if not higher.

Ignorance is bliss - but wisdom tastes (and writes) even better...

benjitzu,

For any new FPers who backed this, there were 3 possibilities...1. They got the pen and used it, happy. 2. They got the pen, and felt cheated, and won't ever try another FP. 3. It was just a gateway pen, and they'll get sucked in.

It seems you went with 3, and I'm glad you did. I hope you can view it as a bad first pen and nothing more. You've started with a couple of winners for entry level pens--the Safari, and the Metro. There are plenty of hardcore FPers who use those pens regularly. I love my Safari, though I have yet to try the Metro.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stopher

• heymatthew

• TheGreatRoe

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I SO wish I would have done a little more research about Fountain Pens before supporting Visionaire on Kickstarter. It was my first FP, and since I had absolutely NOTHING to compare it to, I was elated when it arrived a couple of weeks ago. I emptied all the ink cartridges that came with the pen within a week and started doing a TON more research onilne about pens and ink. I caught the FP bug :)

I ordered some Noodler's Black and a Lamy Safari F because of the great reviews on FPN and other sites...

My Lamy Safari arrived two days ago and I haven't picked up the Visionnaire since. It's not that I dislike the Visionaire pen - I have hardly anything else to compare it to - I just like the Safari better. After spending hours the past several days watching videos, researching pens and inks, and reading hundreds of posts on FPN, I am 100% certain there are MUCH better pens available for $37 or less. Put in an order last night for a Pilot Metropolitan and a Noodlers Ahab, both I'm certain to be at the same level as the Visionaire, if not higher.

Ignorance is bliss - but wisdom tastes (and writes) even better...

benjitzu,

For any new FPers who backed this, there were 3 possibilities...1. They got the pen and used it, happy. 2. They got the pen, and felt cheated, and won't ever try another FP. 3. It was just a gateway pen, and they'll get sucked in.

It seems you went with 3, and I'm glad you did. I hope you can view it as a bad first pen and nothing more. You've started with a couple of winners for entry level pens--the Safari, and the Metro. There are plenty of hardcore FPers who use those pens regularly. I love my Safari, though I have yet to try the Metro.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

WOW! 241 replies to the KS Visionaire.

OK, roll the bad stuff into a ball: he doesn't know anything about fountain pens, he has sourced the pen from ready-to-wear parts, he has a knack for using cliche and puffery rather than features-advantages-benefits in the copy,and it isn't made in Janesville, WI. Mix a bottle of Higgins Ink in with the mess so it clogs together and throw it in the trash can. Did he really hurt you? Did you get a pen?

Now, on the bright side …he managed to raise $324, 393! From 5,803 people! In four months!

Forget the stuff that is (bleep) you off. It is your pride/ego/knowledge of fountain pens that is raging at you. Maybe even some envy.

The real subject of interest is how did he do it!

He recognized the potential of KickStart as a direct sales medium. He came up with a product idea that could be produced from existing parts cheaply. He created a great story that may or may not hold water. This is what Victor Kiam did with Remington in the sixties when he levereged the company. The brilliant line that moved product? "My wife bought me a Remington shaver for Christmas, and I liked it so much I bought the company."

He has a French accent! Forget 'Surrender Monkeys', that's passé. Mais oui! He used very attractive graphic styles … so moderne. He gave it a French name … Visionaire … wait, do I smell the Seine?

He loaded the copy with aspirational words that would appeal to those seeking the accouterments that indicate the success of their aspirations!

Just read it:

This fountain pen was conceived for the writer, the designer, the entrepreneur, and the minimalist. It was designed for those who are passionate, creative, and aspiring. It is a fine writing instrument designed for the Visionnaire.

Its' like reading a horoscope. Hey! I'm a Visionaire, too. I need a pen with my name on it.

He found the sources who could make the product at a low cost. He figured out shipping. He found the guys who could do the kind of puff presentation materials that are on generous display. And he must have had some body's money up front (maybe even some of his own) to assemble this panoply of persuasion, this marathon of marketing.

And when, perhaps with some pointed questions from this blogs readers, he had to get more down to earth, what does he do? He steals from Brian Goulet and skypes in two late-entry vids of him in his kitchen, that's what!

And, most importantly, it worked!

Now, I have no idea whether this is his entree into the world of FPs. Or a model for other unrelated products to come. But, that is beside the point. This campaign worked!

This model has been seen before. In fact, it can be condensed to two words: Ron Popeil. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Popeil

Edited by Dickkooty2

I guess the backlash is against the cynicism of the Visionnaire campaign. I'd feel raw if I'd been sucked in, too.

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

benjitzu,

Another 3 here ... went for a TWSBI after a couple of hours reading on this forum. Will give my visionnaire as xmas present to someone I know will never use it.

Another 3 here ... went for a TWSBI after a couple of hours reading on this forum. Will give my visionnaire as xmas present to someone I know will never use it.

AWESOME!!!! :lol:

Time to put Pen to Paper

This fountain pen was conceived for the writer, the designer, the entrepreneur, and the minimalist. It was designed for those who are passionate, creative, and aspiring. It is a fine writing instrument designed for the Visionnaire.

Its' like reading a horoscope. Hey! I'm a Visionaire, too. I need a pen with my name on it.

Hook line and sinker!

He found the sources who could make the product at a low cost. He figured out shipping. He found the guys who could do the kind of puff presentation materials that are on generous display. And he must have had some body's money up front (maybe even some of his own) to assemble this panoply of persuasion, this marathon of marketing.

This is the issue. He found a factory all ready making these pens. Contributing a logo to an existing product is not what KS is founded on. That is why I have an issue with the campaign.

The rest as you said so well Dick, he did a great job of pulling on the heart strings of others.

But wait, there's more... :sick:

Time to put Pen to Paper

Hello all!

As a first post I would like to put something here, since the Visionnaire brought me here. I received my pens (for me and my mom) today and luckily I didn't have any major defects like Matthew had. I would like to start by thanking you all for enlightening me about this pen and other pens.

The Visionnaire feels indeed quite cheap when I write with it. It scratches quite a lot and the pen has some startup problems. I have a cheap waterman which feels a bit the same. That one was 25 euros or so, so quite similar in price to the Visionnaire. I still believe the Visionnaire is the 1$ alibaba one. It's a scam, but indeed his marketing was extraordinary. I think I'm gonna use once in a while...

But I started some reading about fountain pens (I had little to no knowledge about fountain pens except my moms waterman writes really smooth) and always have been attracted to vintage fountain pens. Thus I found a nice Pelikan 140 with OB nib and I bought it. It is flying to me at the moment :). Thus, another number 3 here!

This is the issue. He found a factory all ready making these pens. Contributing a logo to an existing product is not what KS is founded on. That is why I have an issue with the campaign.

Yes, this is the issue. Also that, not doing absolutely anything in designing and thinking it out, he didn't waste any of his energy to check the quality of these pens. So some work, some don't. I still haven't received mine so I don't know yet if I'm one of the lucky ones but it doesn't make any difference. Morgan's a lazy cheat, an insult to all the people that work like crazy to get their idea realized with kickstarter.

Yes, this is the issue. Also that, not doing absolutely anything in designing and thinking it out, he didn't waste any of his energy to check the quality of these pens. So some work, some don't. I still haven't received mine so I don't know yet if I'm one of the lucky ones but it doesn't make any difference. Morgan's a lazy cheat, an insult to all the people that work like crazy to get their idea realized with kickstarter.

http://www.awardszone.com/assets/images/trophycupsdt/2009/1145.jpg

edit: Wow that trophy was even bigger than i thought!!! :D

Edited by stopher

Time to put Pen to Paper

Hello all!

As a first post I would like to put something here, since the Visionnaire brought me here. I received my pens (for me and my mom) today and luckily I didn't have any major defects like Matthew had. I would like to start by thanking you all for enlightening me about this pen and other pens.

The Visionnaire feels indeed quite cheap when I write with it. It scratches quite a lot and the pen has some startup problems. I have a cheap waterman which feels a bit the same. That one was 25 euros or so, so quite similar in price to the Visionnaire. I still believe the Visionnaire is the 1$ alibaba one. It's a scam, but indeed his marketing was extraordinary. I think I'm gonna use once in a while...

But I started some reading about fountain pens (I had little to no knowledge about fountain pens except my moms waterman writes really smooth) and always have been attracted to vintage fountain pens. Thus I found a nice Pelikan 140 with OB nib and I bought it. It is flying to me at the moment :). Thus, another number 3 here!

Ahh, another convert to the cause..

Welkom bij FPN, teuneu. Er zijn heel veel goede pennen voor een redelijke prijs

FPN kan je helpen bij het zoeken.

Enjoy FPN.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Man, it really bugs me that this is good marketing. I was really turned off by his page. It all seemed so disingenuous. A good pen should sell itself and not need all the flash...

Ahh, another convert to the cause..

Welkom bij FPN, teuneu. Er zijn heel veel goede pennen voor een redelijke prijs

FPN kan je helpen bij het zoeken.

Enjoy FPN.

D.ick

Haha, dank je wel. Ik ben er zeker van dat FPN mij in de toekomst kan gaan helpen!

I have a slight feeling that I'm going to experience the same as they say as first welcome sentence at head-fi.org: 'Welcome and sorry about your wallet!'. All these nice pens...

I'm definitely going to enjoy FPN. Some people have serious skills in handwriting. I have a new goal in life. Nice handwriting gives you a certain personality. I always admired that! Thanks in advance everybody!

Feeling kind of bummed because I was looking to get back into fountain pens. I have limited experience with them as I used to use a student model Parker back in college for all of my note taking and flight logbook notations and I miss the feel. I backed the Visionnaire at the 2 pen level and just found this topic on here today. I've been using the Google search function on the site looking for information about compatible refills for Oberon leather journals and hadn't joined yet. I feel kind of dumb that the listing for the Visionnaire didn't set off any red flags for me. *sigh* Lesson learned, and any future pen purchases will be researched. I trusted and took Morgan at face value.

I'll be receiving my pens tomorrow; my mom forwarded them to me via USPS. Had them delivered to her because I was supposed to be in the midst of a cross country move about now that has been delayed, so am just now getting them. I suppose I'll use them and hope that mine are at least functional. Wish now that I could just get a refund, but that's not possible I'm sure. I'll likely be searching for a good quality starter FP pretty soon as well. $70 isn't make or break to me, but it still stinks to have spent the money on an inferior product and I wish that I had saved my money towards something better.

I guess one bright spot is my Retrakts from KarasKustoms will be in the box as well, and I know and trust their products. So while not FP's, they'll at least be solid pens.

Feeling kind of bummed because I was looking to get back into fountain pens. I have limited experience with them as I used to use a student model Parker back in college for all of my note taking and flight logbook notations and I miss the feel. I backed the Visionnaire at the 2 pen level and just found this topic on here today. I've been using the Google search function on the site looking for information about compatible refills for Oberon leather journals and hadn't joined yet. I feel kind of dumb that the listing for the Visionnaire didn't set off any red flags for me. *sigh* Lesson learned, and any future pen purchases will be researched. I trusted and took Morgan at face value.

I'll be receiving my pens tomorrow; my mom forwarded them to me via USPS. Had them delivered to her because I was supposed to be in the midst of a cross country move about now that has been delayed, so am just now getting them. I suppose I'll use them and hope that mine are at least functional. Wish now that I could just get a refund, but that's not possible I'm sure. I'll likely be searching for a good quality starter FP pretty soon as well. $70 isn't make or break to me, but it still stinks to have spent the money on an inferior product and I wish that I had saved my money towards something better.

I guess one bright spot is my Retrakts from KarasKustoms will be in the box as well, and I know and trust their products. So while not FP's, they'll at least be solid pens.

Yeah, it burns to know that more money was spent than necessary, but it could be a lot worse, and at least you've found FPN and have recognized some skeazy marketing so you'll be better prepared next time. The pens could even be perfectly workable (it's the frustrating thing about Chinese FPs, some of them are awesome and some are terrible and there's no way to know which until you're holding one because variable QC is the problem). I hope the pens are enjoyable and that you stick around and have a better buying experience next time!

Quote from Tonneau (above)

I found a nice Pelikan 140 with OB nib and I bought it. It is flying to me at the moment

Congratulations on finding the 140! I remember the classic green striated model from my Army days in Germany. This look became the iconic Pelikan pen, whether the 140 or the 400. By the way, back in the day at 4.25DM to the USD, the 140 would have set you back $3.50. But first you would have had to change the scrip (they paid us with Monopoly money) into DMs.

I am sure that owning this classic fountain pen will help make the bad taste of the Visionaire experience go away.

...I feel kind of dumb that the listing for the Visionnaire didn't set off any red flags for me. *sigh* Lesson learned, and any future pen purchases will be researched. I trusted and took Morgan at face value...

I understand feeling bummed, but don't feel dumb. While the project set off alarms for me, It's not like I have great intuition, when it comes to knowing who to trust. For me it was the story of his child's birth...I'm a writer, and that felt like a bad assignment in creative writing 101. I got lucky, but it could easily have gone the other way. If you buy into his next project, then you can feel dumb. ;)

so like I said, this guy while he might not of been the most honest, did A LOT of good for the FP community. In this thread alone, at least 4 or 5 new FP owners and members BECAUSE of the KS Visionnaire.

For the new people, honestly, thinking you wasted the money, is a bad attitude to have with it. Difference is, we found out how much it really cost.

$37 for a fountain pen is not terrible at all. Enjoy it, best you can, and see where it takes you.

I spent $250 on a Parker Sonnet, and because of that pen, I found I like it quite a bit more than Mont Blancs 3x the price, and I also discovered I like Jinhao chinese pens, to the point I bought 7 of them, and 2 of them are out of 3 daily pens I use. Do I feel ripped off that a $5 Jinhao writes better than my $40 lamy safari, or a $600 MontBlanc Starwalker? Not at all.

End of the day, far worse wastes of money.

Welcome to you, Pigeonfarm

There are good FPs out there.

Don't let one disappointment lead you away of much writing joy.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

A noie to RMN and Teuneu:

Kan Sinterklaus drop de pen van uw dromen uw schoorsteen deze avond!

Laat Zwarte Piet zorgen dat Visionaire vent.