Nakaya Chinkoku Housuge Shu

quinden

One good Housuge Shu deserves another! (I'm looking at you, alvarez57) :)

I think I fell in love with this pen when I saw the Cigar (clipless) model of Leigh Reyes - if you have never gone to her site, you should! She has amazing artistic skills, as well as great penmanship.

fpn_1372533307__housuge1fpn.jpg

To achieve this look, the artisan carves into the urushi surface, and then rubs a mixture of urushi + charcoal (sumi) over the surface. Once they remove the sumi from the surface, it stays in the carvings.

fpn_1372533339__housuge2fpn.jpg

I chose a soft fine for this pen, and it is amazing! It is softer than the other two soft fines I have, but I would still rate it as less flexible than a vintage flexer (the only one I have is a Waterman's 0552 1/2 V).

fpn_1372533376__housuge3fpn.jpg

In the above, you can see the similarity of the base color of the Housuge Shu to the unpolished Shu (Shu-nurippanashi).

fpn_1372533422__housuge4fpn.jpg

A rough and amateurish size comparison with a Parker Duofold Centennial - the Housuge Shu is shorter, but I believe the grip section is ever-so-slightly wider (.41 inches to .4 inches, according to nibs.com). The Nakaya is also lighter.

fpn_1372533459__housugewritingfpn.jpg

Here's a writing sample. I purchased this pen from John Mottishaw & company, and I'm very happy! It's smooth and responsive. Looking at this writing sample, I wish I had refrained from that third cup of coffee this morning http://fpgeeks.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.png

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• quinden

• Celerity-dad

• betweenthelens

• ethernautrix

I have the same pen, but with a B nib and it's the pen I use most for grading and correcting.

On my pen I like so very much how the pattern continues from barrel to cap and from the barrel beyond the step down to the threads and the section - even if the pattern's different on the barrel and the section the lines are perfectly continuing on all the parts of the pen. That's superb craftsmanship with love to every detail.

Greetings,

Michael

Thanks, Mox!

Michael, I agree re: the craftsmanship. This one has not left my daily carry :)

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

This pen is exquisite and your writing sample with it is enjoyable to read. I wish I could style my own writing like that.

When you have pen and ink, every problem needs a piece of paper.

Celerity-dad, thanks for your kind words! I've been practicing :)

LeighR and GClef here on FPN are my inspiration; they are awesome!!!

Your practice has paid off. I feel like I need to get better at my own handwriting to justify a Nakaya pen like this.

Man!!! That is a neat one! Thanks for posting!

This pen was love at first sight. I am a very patient buyer when it comes to something so expensive. I was seeing each year the price go up and up until I realized I had to buy it for wishing it and doing nothing was well... kinda stupid. :headsmack:

I like your penmanship!

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Thanks, Sonia (sorry I didn't see your name in your signature earlier)!

I had sorta the same realization - I've ordered my grail pens and they're slowly coming to me :)

congrats on your new nakaya. well worth it. and may i say... beautiful penmanship :thumbup:

-rudy-

Thanks, Rudy :)

Thanks, Lisa!

You are one of the prime reasons I ordered my first Nakaya; thanks for sharing your excitement and your wisdom re: expectations :)

Your handwriting is inspirational !

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

That IS a beauty. Thank you for sharing it.

On my pen I like so very much how the pattern continues from barrel to cap and from the barrel beyond the step down to the threads and the section - even if the pattern's different on the barrel and the section the lines are perfectly continuing on all the parts of the pen. That's superb craftsmanship with love to every detail.

Wow. That's impressive.

Your practice has paid off. I feel like I need to get better at my own handwriting to justify a Nakaya pen like this.

I'm going to give you a big "Heck no!" on that idea. You get the good stuff to ENABLE you to produce better results. :)

best wishes,

eo

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

The important thing is not to stop questioning. --Albert Einstein

Thanks, Pen Nut and ever onward!

eo, I agree completely re: the enabling ;)

I must resist being enabled. This pen and the other Nakaya's I've seen here keep moving my thinking into higher price points. I just received/purchased a new pen as a reward for finishing my latest project at work. I'm going to have to do something major to get a Nakaya.

Celerity-dad, that sounds like great motivation!

Thanks, Lisa!

You are one of the prime reasons I ordered my first Nakaya; thanks for sharing your excitement and your wisdom re: expectations :)

Cheers, Josh!

I'm not a pusher so much as someone who will answer the question, "What do you like about Nakaya?"

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.