Clairefontaine Bulk Paper?

kharrisma

Hi Everyone!

I began bookbinding not very long ago, because I want my journals to look the same from year to year, something you can't always do when relying on commercial products... plus, I can get a better quality item for far less $$, and instead of "close enough", I get exactly what I want.

I've been looking for Clairefontaine loose paper (like you'd buy a package of printer paper; big block of loose sheets), but all I've been able to find are finished products like notebooks, journals, pads, etc.

Is anyone aware of a source of loose, bulk Clairefontaine paper? Or, failing that, of an available 'loose' paper that's closely comparable to Clairfontaine?

Thanks... I usually have little trouble sniffing out what I'm looking for, but this time no such luck.

Karl

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ajzeller

• rafapa

• kharrisma

• FPFan

Got to www.shopwritersbloc.com and go to the click on ClaireFontaine, then loose leaf paper. That's about the best I can do for you. I love the loose leaf notebook paper. Great consistency.

Fair winds and following seas.

Exaclair has the full catalog of available products on their website. Many fine purveyors will do special orders, especially if you want to buy in bulk - usually a pack of 10, I believe, but ask to be sure.

Clairefontaine does offer packs of their paper sized 8.25x11.75in, 100g, 100 sheets per pack for $12. It's listed as "Clairefontaine Digital Color Copy Paper." The minimum required purchase from Exaclair is 10 packs - so if you'd like all 10 packs, I can most certainly setup a special order for you :)

Are you looking for ined or unlined?

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

Clairefontaine does offer packs of their paper sized 8.25x11.75in, 100g, 100 sheets per pack for $12. It's listed as "Clairefontaine Digital Color Copy Paper." The minimum required purchase from Exaclair is 10 packs - so if you'd like all 10 packs, I can most certainly setup a special order for you :)

Are you sure the "Digital Color Copy Paper" is the same Clairfontaine paper found in notebooks?

Thanks,

Rafael

I'm pretty sure it's not the same as in their notebooks/packs of stationery which contain 90g weight paper (compared to 100g with the copy paper pack.) They do say it's good for FP's though. Since I haven't ever actually ordered any before, the extent of my knowledge is limited to their description of it on their website:

Individual white blank sheets of 100g Clairefontaine acid-free paper ideal for printing and color copying documents. DCP is also great with fountain pens on its extra smooth surface and for hand made book binding.

Lined, unlined, makes no difference. If I have to have lined, I can always print lines; I'm partial to the Seyes (French) ruling, which I can print, or dot/grid, also printable. I'm not fussy, as long as it's Clairefontaine.

Or, failing that, of an available 'loose' paper that's closely comparable to Clairfontaine?

Karl

I use HP 32lb Premium to bind my journal refills.

In Spain I can get 500 sheets of A4 blank paper of Clairefontaine DCP in 90g or 100g. I'll try to obtain a sample and let you know jow it compares with the one used in notebooks.

I can vouch for the HP 32lb premium it works very well with FP ink. My only issue is that it is quite thick.

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

DCP is super-smooth, super-slick, blindingly white paper (it's also available in ivory though). I currently use the 90 g/m2 type. It produces razor sharp lines with no feathering or bleedthrough but perhaps a bit of showthrough (am considering to buy a 120 g/m2 ream next time but the 100 g/m2 might be a good compromise). Shading is really excellent. Drying time of most inks might be a bit longer than on more absorbent papers.

Clairalfa is the standard office paper. I have some that is 120 g/m2. Perfectly usable with fountain pen inks but a lot less smooth than DCP.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found Hammermill "Color Copy Digital" 28 pounds (Office Depot).

Nice and smooth. It works great with my F tip pens that it scratchy with anything that is NOT smooth.

Only problem is, no lines.

And it it just thick enough that I can't see the lines from a lined paper put under it.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com