InkedQuills

Hey FPN'ers,

I made this case last night. It is a A5 sized case that is capable of holding up to 3 different journals, I currently have two Rhodia and a slim Leuchtturm, by holding them in place with a strip of material that you adjust with a cord lock. I also used magnets to close the front so you dont' have to worry about elastics going or slowly pulling out of the material.

I am really happy with how it turned out and I think I might start selling them on my Etsy. I would love to have everyone's feedback about what you think and if you would be interested in seeing it in a A6 or A4 size.

Cheers,

Phil

post-66614-0-08483900-1372360413_thumb.jpg

post-66614-0-92732400-1372360419_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InkedQuills

• johnmetta

• Plume145

• rabiosocorazon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is really pretty. My girlfriend also sells on etsy. The only recommendation I can make to you is that you make it in different colours. ¡Greetings!

Gatz: A journal for each of life's journeys.

Thanks. I already offer it in a bunch of different colours. 5 in the cord and 8 in raw silk.

Sweet! I don't need anything like that right now, but if I did, I'd really consider it!

I love the corduroy fabric - it really stands out in a sea of leather cases or alternatively, the mountains of floral fabrics on Etsy (don't get me wrong, I love a nice floral on occasion, but they are easier to tire of, and besides plain backgrounds are great for customizing by pinning buttons or other small embellishments!)

The only thing I might change is the magnet. Not because it's not a good way to close the notebook itself, it really is, only because it's liable to catch other stuff in your bag and pull the notebook open and what not. I've had magnetic closures on stuff that lives in my bag and they can be a big hassle, surprisingly! There is good ole velcro (you can get it in nice colors that will blend in) or a pop stud, but there are tons of elegant solutions like the old button and button hole, or a toggle button (picture the traditional duffle coat closure), or even a button and elastic loop for a bit of give!

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

That's nice looking, and that raw silk is very pretty– I can speak from experience.

I use a Leuchtturm journal with a Renaissance Art leather cover, but as you can see, I AM looking for a fabric portfolio for an A5 tablet. Needs to fit a Clairefontaine Triomphe tablet well, with a pocket for envelopes, stamps, etc. I'd agree with the magnet, too.

My budget might be somewhat less than your excellent custom work though. I'd have to to see. (Incidentally, that's more a need right now than an ink holder, hence the backchannel note about priorities)

Hey John,

I can totally make that case for you. I have a case similar to that which I bought through another company. I can do it in raw silk, or the corduroy that is in the photo above.

I honestly haven't looked at custom work costs. I think I can do it in your price range from the other section. Would you want the case to carry the Leuchtturm journal, plus the tablet and the pocket for your stamps/envelopes?

Don't worry about the ink case. They will be there when you have the extra cash.

Phil

Plume and John,

I understand your concern about the magnets. Honestly I hate elastics. I don't mind them as a quick way to hold papers in or as a cheap closure on a moleskine, but when you get to expensive journal items I want them to have another option. I have also had some really awful experiences with elastics marking up some of my pens.

All of your suggestions are good options as customer orders. I really have no problem with making these items custom for people who are interested in other ways to close them. I will even make them with elastics if someone really wants them.

Now if I used stronger magnets would that be of interest? The ones I use now are hidden and give some freedom to stuff extra things in there, or one slightly larger notebook and not have to try and push them back into alignment.

Hope I am not sounding snarky. I just really hate elastics as closures.

Phil.

P.S. What is holding the notebooks in is actually cloth.

I hate elastic too, actually. I'd much rather have a magnet, or in a half fold-over like that, even nothing. It's not going to open in my bag because it's compressed by the other books.

What I'm looking for is something that holds only the A5 Triomphe tablet, a few envelopes, and some stamps. I don't even need a pen holder, since I have (ahem) another place to put those. I really just want a minimalist (but nice) way to protect the letter-writing stationary from getting beaten around in my bag. It needn't even have the half fold-over closure actually. Just a book cover would be enough- as long as it had the pocket/sleeve for envelopes and stamps. I'd probably go for the raw silk, since it's so pretty.