Nakaya Ao-Tamenuri Decapod Twist - It's Here!

quinden

Oo, beautiful tamenuri, painterspal!

And oo! Nice green, YSG!

I was out in the sunshine today - admired three of my Nakayas; they somehow look even more beautiful in the daylight. Which, of course, can cause damage after sustained exposure. I used the three pens to scribble some notes in my notebook. Man, I love those nibs!

Painterspal, what nib had you ordered? I'm glad the soft fine is working for you. I prefer the hard fine, but the Negoro has a soft fine, and it's lovely. (One of the three pens I mentioned.)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• quinden

• Painterspal

• sarahfar

• ethernautrix

Hi Lisa, it was a hard fine. I have one already on one of my Long Piccolos and its fabulous. But the soft fine is pretty good too, certainly no issues so far and maybe it's nice to have something slightly different.

Below is another quick image (poor quality) of the new Twist with my other faceted pens. I knew the moment that the Decapod Twist was announced that it would be fun to compare them all and now I'll have the chance...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b70/minkapics/Twist_MF05788_2600.jpg

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

Here is the detail of my little green onion:

Newly arrived and available exclusively from Classic Fountain Pens, we are proud to announce the new Nakaya Naka-ai Writer Hiwa-moegi Limited Edition of just five individually numbered fountain pens. Designed by Nakaya master pen designer Shinichi Yoshida in collaboration with Classic Fountain Pen's John Mottishaw, the Naka-ai, with its peaked ends and tapered body, combines many of Nakaya’s most original design features in a single model. With its unique color and special kanji, this is the second of a select series of exclusive limited editions that will be available from us. The first limited edition series of our Naka-ai in Toki-iro is already completely sold out.
http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/nakaya-naka-ai-writer-hiwa-moegi-capped.jpg
http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/nakaya-naka-ai-writer-hiwa-moegi-capped-2.jpg
Hiwa-moegi translates in Japanese to "young long green onion color", a very specific description of this color which registers slightly brighter than the more traditional Midorifinish and with warmer undertones. Notice the vibrant, springtime green which truly does mimic the end of a green onion. The tapered shape of the Naka-ai provides a perfect backdrop for the Hiwa-moegi color, as the model itself seems to take the form of a slender scallion.
http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/nakaya-naka-ai-writer-hiwa-moegi-uncapped.jpg
A 5 3/4 inches long when capped, this is a pen that will be a very comfortable fit for most users. Like all Nakaya Urushi pens, each Naka-ai is made of hand-turned ebonite hard rubber, then sent to the Wajima region in western Japan for finishing with Urushi lacquer. As with all hand-made pens, colors will vary slightly from pen to pen - no two will ever be exactly alike. http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/nakaya-naka-ai-writer-hiwa-moegi-kanji-detail-vertical.jpg

Take a closer look at the green-yellow color of the cap and barrel. Green is the color often associated with balance, making this a perfect fit for the Naka-ai, designed specifically with the principle of equilibrium in mind. Notions of renewal and rebirth also come to mind with this color, making the Naka-ai Writer Hiwa-moegi a perfect choice for starting a writing project or for setting intentions for the new year.

Gold kanji graces the barrel of each limited edition pen, and translates to "Classic Fountain Pens" along with the pen number, as seen at left. Each of these specially inscribed pens is a collector's item and CFP original. Gold trim provides an elegant complement to the green, while the clip functions as a practical way to affix the pen to a shirt pocket.

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/nakaya-naka-ai-writer-hiwa-moegi-barrel-detail-vertical.jpg Nakaya pens can be filled with bottled fountain pen ink using the provided converter, and can also use Platinum brand ink cartridges. Hand-painted Maki-e converters are also available. http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/nakaya-naka-ai-writer-hiwa-moegi-nib-detail.jpg

The Nakaya Naka-ai Writer Limited Edition in Hiwa-moegi is made available with solid gold Nakaya 14k nibs in your choice of Extra Fine, Fine, Medium, Broad, or Extra Broad, withFine Soft, Medium Soft, Super Extra Fine, andMusic nibs also available.

These 14k solid gold nibs are also well-suited to customizations including Stub, Cursive Italic, or Left Oblique, as well as the modification for added flex - see our nib customizations page for more information.

... and it's all sold out!! :happyberet:

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Well, I'm being somewhat shameless in posting everywhere, just because I'm giddy. You only have one opportunity to open your first Nakaya purchase - I got this Briarwood at the LA Pen Show this last weekend, but I never thought John Mottishaw would get it to me so fast! Showed up with UPS this afternoon, custom 0.6mm ci grind, it is freaking divine...

1619348_687781561245349_2147162741_n.jpg

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Wow those are all gorgeous pens! I'm expecting delivery of my first Nakaya on Monday (according to USP tracking). She's a Portable Cigar Kuro-tamenuri with a Soft Medium nib. John did a wonderful job on my Falcon SM nib so I'm really excited. Just for fun, I ordered it with the Goldfish converter B)

Can't wait to "join the club" ...

Congratulations everyone! Those are all beautiful pens :)

Mine should show up sometime next week, super excited!!! :)

:puddle: Awesome!! Gosh! The first time I encountered a Nakaya was inside a small stationary shop in Kobe - a red one without a clip. Didn't know the name but I couldn't forget the beauty of it. I agree that I never see a Nakaya that's not beautiful. Congratulations for having such an awesome pen!!

I should seriously consider one myself :glare: ....my beloved Skelton Akebono-nuri. :happy:

• 3 weeks later...

My Decapod Twist review is finished, you can find it here.

Edited by Painterspal

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p