An Artist's P45

Paddler

I went flea market crawling, last Monday. Came home with an artist's kit. I won't try to bore you fountain pen folk with a descripion of the contents, regardless of how they fascinate me. However, the contents did contain a Platignum Silverline pen with a full set of italic nibs, an olive drab P45, and the dreaded bottle of solidified Speedball India ink.

The Platignum nib units were all completely plugged with insoluble ink, and the section was badly cracked. That lot went over the side.

The P45 section and converter went into an overnight soak with distilled water, ammonia, and dish detergent. I was able to get the section apart after a short blow with a hair dryer. Everything inside was clotted with black goo and crumbly ink bits. I was able to clean the feed channels with various diameters of guitar string wire. The steel nib came clean with a stainless steel brush and some nyon thread for the slit. The converter sac eventually came clean with many flushings.

The pen works very well now. I gave it a fill of blue black Quink, just to make it feel at home. The P45 is one tough pen. It is now worth more than the whole artist's kit, handmade brushes and all.

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paddler

• OcalaFlGuy

• rahulg

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, you're lucky -- when I saw the words "India ink" my initial thought was "Koh-i-noor Rapidoeze".

You're also lucky in getting a 45 just in general. They're great little pens.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I went flea market crawling, last Monday. Came home with an artist's kit. I won't try to bore you fountain pen folk with a descripion of the contents, regardless of how they fascinate me. However, the contents did contain a Platignum Silverline pen with a full set of italic nibs, an olive drab P45, and the dreaded bottle of solidified Speedball India ink.

The Platignum nib units were all completely plugged with insoluble ink, and the section was badly cracked. That lot went over the side.

The P45 section and converter went into an overnight soak with distilled water, ammonia, and dish detergent. I was able to get the section apart after a short blow with a hair dryer. Everything inside was clotted with black goo and crumbly ink bits. I was able to clean the feed channels with various diameters of guitar string wire. The steel nib came clean with a stainless steel brush and some nyon thread for the slit. The converter sac eventually came clean with many flushings.

The pen works very well now. I gave it a fill of blue black Quink, just to make it feel at home. The P45 is one tough pen. It is now worth more than the whole artist's kit, handmade brushes and all.

Seems amazing to me the collector wasn't also thoroughly clogged with the evil ink too. Interesting...

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Seems amazing to me the collector wasn't also thoroughly clogged with the evil ink too. Interesting...

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Uh oh. I just removed the nib and narrow feed and cleaned those. Is there a collector in there someplace too? If so, how can I remove it?

The collector is inside of the section and is similar to the 51 collector.

On the 45 they were intended to be permanently installed though I've had one break loose and come out the converter end.

If it were me, I would use Rapiodo-Eze and sonicate it in that into the next galaxy. ;)

On the other hand, if it's writing nice and wet as usual and not clogging what's broke that needs fixin'???

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I agree with you, Bruce. If it is working, I will not trifle with it. Maybe I will keep some Quink with Solv-X in it. That was what the folks at Lion and Pen used to recommend -- kind of like fountain pen STP or Gumout. :lol:

The P45s are tough little pens. I've picked all my 45s from Indian flea markets, often from roadside secondhand vendors who spread the pens out at the 105 degree summer blaze. A quick flush and some love and care is all you need to get these understated beasts back to life.

Congratulations. Hope you have fun with your new pen.

Best,

Rahul

http://oi44.tinypic.com/30vg3eo.jpg

Follow at @rg1283 and http://bluecabbage.blogspot.com