De Atramentis: Document Ink Turquoise

cybaea

This is a permanent (ISO 127755-2) ink in the "Document" series from De Atramentis. Availability is a little uneven: all their inks are proudly "hand made" and so stocks may change, but this one seems more uneven than most.

If you have a really dry writer this one may be for you. All the Document inks are quite free flowing, but this one the most so of those I have tried. Bleed through is pretty bad - nowhere like Franklin-Christoph Black Magic kind of bad, but still.

post-101322-0-12003300-1372174172_thumb.jpg

And the back page for bleed-through:

post-101322-0-23900100-1372174195_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps someone. Happy writing / drawing / doodling: whatever you do, use fountain pens!

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• mdog

• Morbus Curiositas

• cybaea

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice review! I'll have to try out this one. I see that they are starting to expand on their "document ink" series. It can't be too wet for me (I think). It's just the colour itself. This one looks a bitt too chalky for me, but, we'll see.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 2 weeks later...

nice ink with nice shading, thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 10 months later...

This one may be useful to some:

fpn_1400010621__da-document.jpg

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Oh, very useful. Dang, that's chalky. It reminds me of luxury blue or polar blue.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

This is a permanent (ISO 127755-2) ink in the "Document" series from De Atramentis. Availability is a little uneven: all their inks are proudly "hand made" and so stocks may change, but this one seems more uneven than most.

If you have a really dry writer this one may be for you. All the Document inks are quite free flowing, but this one the most so of those I have tried. Bleed through is pretty bad - nowhere like Franklin-Christoph Black Magic kind of bad, but still.

attachicon.gifde-atramentis-turquoise-front.jpg

And the back page for bleed-through:

attachicon.gifde-atramentis-turquoise-back.jpg

Hope this helps someone. Happy writing / drawing / doodling: whatever you do, use fountain pens!

Oh, very useful. Dang, that's chalky. It reminds me of luxury blue or polar blue.

Hi Cybaea

You did some nice work on that review... as usual :-)

I will order a bottle of Magenta and Turqoise at De Atramentis.

Dr Jansen promised me a bottle of Document GREEN ink as soon as it is ready....

I will review them all.

Maybe it a nice idea to give Amberlea one she likes if she pays for shipment

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

Hi Cybaea

You did some nice work on that review... as usual :-)

I will order a bottle of Magenta and Turqoise at De Atramentis.

Dr Jansen promised me a bottle of Document GREEN ink as soon as it is ready....

I will review them all.

Maybe it a nice idea to give Amberlea one she likes if she pays for shipment

Ah, thank you. You didn't have to do that, but I'll take you up on it. I'll be glad to pay for shipment.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 months later...

I was really disappointed with this ink. Using it in a few pens i found it made the line width go up about 3 sizes, to wet i think. for example when using it with a Lamy EF it was the same width as a broad, with a Visconti the fine was thicker then any other nib i've used.

nice colour but I'm really bummed it didn't work out.

Edited by artbyRem

I was really disappointed with this ink. Using it in a few pens i found it made the line width go up about 3 sizes, to wet i think. for example when using it with a Lamy EF it was the same width as a broad, with a Visconti the fine was thicker then any other nib i've used.

That's funny I tested the DA Document inks Blue, Dark Blue Brown and Green and reviewed them...

I used a Lamy 1,5 Italic and yes it is wet but quickly drying even using a Gusher pen like the lamy

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

• 2 months later...

Hi cybaea... Thank you (belatedly!) for the excellent review. My experience with this ink was quite similar to yours. Nice color, but way too wet for everyday use.

Hi artbyRem... I, too, was really disappointed in the performance of the DA Document Turquoise. For me, I loved the color, but the wetness was nearly out of control. It did indeed increase line width significantly, and caused bleed through on all but the heaviest papers, despite using pens that write dry. On several good quality papers, the bleed through even affected the underlying page. Disappointing performance.

Hi Amberlea... Fwiw, to my eye, I didn't find this ink chalky, but perhaps it was the papers I used or my eye. I found it a rather pure turquoise, which I liked. Since turquoise inks tend to be inherently a bit light, they may not be to everyone's taste.

As for your surmised comparison inks, I agree! I wanted to use this DA Doc Turquoise as a substitute for Noodler's Luxury Blue, which I tended to use regularly. If it were not for the performance issues, this DA would have replaced the NLB for me.

With the lighter inks, I try to match the ink and paper. Paper weight, surface, quality, and tone all affect the appearance of these lighter inks more than they do the appearance of black ink, (Black, my boring standard, is so much easier! Fill pen. Write anywhere. Go eat lunch.)

That's funny I tested the DA Document inks Blue, Dark Blue Brown and Green and reviewed them...

I used a Lamy 1,5 Italic and yes it is wet but quickly drying even using a Gusher pen like the lamy

Hi Morbus Curiositas... I agree about the other DA Document inks. I regularly and happily use other DA Document inks (Black, Archive, Blue, and Red). However, for me, none of them have the wet/bleed issues of the Document Turquoise. The DA Document inks are designed to penetrate paper quickly, which, I suspect, is part of how they get their ISO compliance. Unfortunately, the turquoise penetrates a bit too well!

Perhaps this turquoise ink would be useful to someone drawing on heavy paper stock, but for me this ink, unlike its siblings, is much too wet for my everyday writing, even in dry writers.

Thanks, all.

Don't get rid of it...it is the perfect mixing ink. You can improve the performance of any other ink. Add it to your favorite purple for a penman replacement.

@ cybaea: Thanks for the review. Sadly, I didn't read it before getting a sample of this ink. It's a pretty color (a little bluer than Noodler's Navajo Turquoise) and dries very quickly but the spread and show through remind me of Organics Studio Charles Darwin (only turquoise instead of black).

Come to think, the dry time is almost as fast as the OSCD.... I haven't tried it on really good paper yet. I have it in a Parker Vector with an F nib and you'd think it was at *least" broad -- if not BB. I think I'm going to try the rest of the sample in something that is either a drier writer or has an EF or Asian F nib.

@ mdog: Good to know that the other Document inks aren't this bad (I also got samples of the Red, Brown, and Archive).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Don't get rid of it...it is the perfect mixing ink. You can improve the performance of any other ink. Add it to your favorite purple for a penman replacement.

Thanks, amberlea. That is my intention. I was going to mix it with some DA Document Blue and/or Dark Blue to try to get some shading. Must be a lawyer thing!

@ mdog: Good to know that the other Document inks aren't this bad (I also got samples of the Red, Brown, and Archive).

Hi Ruth... I have found the DA Doc Black, Archive, Red, Blue, and Dark Blue to be well-behaved on all kinds I paper. I tend to generally adjust my nibs for a drier line, so that may be part of it. But these DA inks seem fine even in out-of-the-box pens. I use the Archive (or, alternatively, Black), and Red regularly and am happy with the permanence, color saturation and rapid dry times. I'd be curious to hear your opinion of the samples you have.

In case anyone is curious about the difference between the Document Archive and the Document Black, I find both dry quickly, but rhe Archive seems to dry a little faster, and is slightly flatter on the page.

Fwiw, I also wish I had read the reviews of the turquoise before I bought a bottle! I had been happy with the other inks in the Document line, and I made the assumption that this one would behave similarly to its relatives. Oh well. Nice color.

Marty

Hi Ruth... I have found the DA Doc Black, Archive, Red, Blue, and Dark Blue to be well-behaved on all kinds I paper. I tend to generally adjust my nibs for a drier line, so that may be part of it. But these DA inks seem fine even in out-of-the-box pens. I use the Archive (or, alternatively, Black), and Red regularly and am happy with the permanence, color saturation and rapid dry times. I'd be curious to hear your opinion of the samples you have.

In case anyone is curious about the difference between the Document Archive and the Document Black, I find both dry quickly, but rhe Archive seems to dry a little faster, and is slightly flatter on the page.

Fwiw, I also wish I had read the reviews of the turquoise before I bought a bottle! I had been happy with the other inks in the Document line, and I made the assumption that this one would behave similarly to its relatives. Oh well. Nice color.

Marty

Hi Mdog

Just to let you know.

the differenc between Archive and Document is

Archive is very Lightfast WS scale 8 (maximum) and very waterproof

the Document complies with the ISo 127-2standard . and is resistant against acid and other agressive fluids too. you can read more about this in the link down below

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/266158-de-atramentis-document-ink-dark-blue/

Is of course is Lightfast too

Just to show you the possibilities of the Document turquoise read the topic down here

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/275148-de-atramentis-document-cmyk-inks-mixing-experiment/page-2

Regards,

Peter

Hi Mdog

Just to let you know.

the differenc between Archive and Document is

Archive is very Lightfast WS scale 8 (maximum) and very waterproof

the Document complies with the ISo 127-2standard . and is resistant against acid and other agressive fluids too. you can read more about this in the link down below

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/266158-de-atramentis-document-ink-dark-blue/

Is of course is Lightfast too

Just to show you the possibilities of the Document turquoise read the topic down here

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/275148-de-atramentis-document-cmyk-inks-mixing-experiment/page-2

Regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your follow up. Perhaps I had read too quickly the reviews and comments a while ago, but I don't recall seeing a comparison of DA Document Archive and DA Document Black in daily use. Yes, the Black is ISO-certified to survive thermonuclear war, always a useful characteristic, but I haven't yet found that to be a problem. (Hopefully we never will!) In the meantime, my curiosity got the better of me as to why DA would have two black inks in the Document line.

So, in an exercise of "how to decide anything under conditions of incomplete information," I bought both. I viewed it as part of a lifelong quest for the perfect black ink. Surprisingly, both went to the top of my list.

Fwiw, I found both to dry very quickly, although the Archive a tiny bit more quickly. The Black appeared to me a tiny bit more saturated on the page, depending on paper choice. I marveled at how both disappeared into the paper so quickly. Surface tensions and viscosities were, for me, near perfect.

Given the rapid drying times, I am still amazed at the depth of color throughout the Document line. Dr. Janssen has done amazing work. I, too, have heard that this is the result of perfecting the use of so-called nano technologies. What I don't know -- and this is a really just a point of curiosity -- is whether the Archive also uses nano particle technology, and if so, how its composition is physically different from the Black.

Btw, I have thoroughly enjoyed and benefitted from your many reviews and comments for a long time. Ich bin Ihnen sehr dankbar. Thank you!

Marty

Marty, did you post a comparison? This sounds like a great review.

Marty, did you post a comparison? This sounds like a great review.

Hi amberlea... I only made the few subjective comments above about the inks. I do suppose it could be useful to have a formal comparison, as others also might have a question about the two black inks in the DA Document line. [Please insert here the most compelling excuse for my being unable to do so right now.] Btw, I am in awe of the contributions you have made to FPN. Thank you deeply.

Edited by mdog

A formal comparison would be great. I was on a bit of a budget, so I only bought the Archive, not both.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hi amberlea... I only made the few subjective comments above about the inks. I do suppose it could be useful to have a formal comparison, as others also might have a question about the two black inks in the DA Document line. [Please insert here the most compelling excuse for my being unable to do so right now.] Btw, I am in awe of the contributions you have made to FPN. Thank you deeply.

Thank you! :wub: