Private Reserve "blue Suede"

PrestoTenebroso

I had a snail from kudzu which included some of this .... loved the colour, but was surprised to see its name. What i saw was definitely, IMO, green!

But there are several inks out there whose perceived colour bears little resemblance to the object/substance/whatever in the name.

Diamine Umber, for example!

I also had problems with the colour of the MB Dickens WE which many have described as grey/gray ... I was sure it was green .... maybe I'm seeing the world through green-tinted spectacles!

(Time for another go at the colour discrimination test, which i posted quite a while ago?

http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge My best score was 4)

Edited by rogerb

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• azbobcat

• PrestoTenebroso

• Ghost Plane

• Karmachanic

It could be that this time I photographed things instead of scanning.

You have a point. I do notice that scanning shows a different shade than photographing in a naturally-lit environment. Also, the color kind of reminds me of turquoise, sort of. If I see it before I know the name of the ink, anything blue would have been farthest from my mind.

Hmm, this looks similar to R&K Smaragdgrün, never could wrap my head around this part of the spectrum...too cold?

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

• 3 years later...

I don't usually put an ink's name in quotation marks, but honestly, straight out of the bottle, I have no idea how Private Reserve could call this ink a blue and not blue-green at best. I suppose "Blue-Green Suede" lacks a certain…something, but not accuracy.

attachicon.gif June 25 THIS IS BLUE SUEDE.jpeg

Ah!! Fine remembrance. I never thought about diluting the ink, but that was EXACTLY the color that caused my homework to stand out!! Now you can see why. Mind you that was back in the day when I was mixing Blue (probably Washable Blue) Quink and Green Quink, but that was indeed the color. And while it was darker, that was why I feel in love with Private Reserve's Blue Suede. Thank you for the tip. Trust me, when the teacher was back back our corrected homework, mine could be seen a mile away in a sea of Black, Blue Black, and Blue ink.

Blue Suede is named after traditional blue suede shoes, which albeit, were not all that blue. But it is true to color.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3572/3379722787_a36335c510.jpg

ETA - Blue Suede happens to be one of my favorite inks, but if you find it missing that special something, perhaps try Diamine's Steel Blue. It's quite similar, but just different enough to warrant a separate purchase and may be more up your alley.

Does anyone know if Private Reserve has discontinued making this color?? I can't find it on recent Private Reserve color charts (along with Midnight Blue), and very few stores seem to carry it though they carry all -- if they are not out -- of all the other colors? I've gone through a least two 50 mL bottles of of the stuff and I'm on my 3rd.... and I don't so as much writing as I use to. I'll fill a pen 3-4 times with Blue Suede before I might switch to either Naples Blue or Tanzanite (depends on my mood), or possibly Arabian Rose. I just bought a 66 mL bottle online. But there seems to be fewer and fewer bottles of Blue Suede remaining. Enquiring minds want to know!

Private Reserve Blue Suede was reformulated. Previously it was "green". Now its "blue." Teal that is.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Does anyone know if Private Reserve has discontinued making this color?? I can't find it on recent Private Reserve color charts (along with Midnight Blue), and very few stores seem to carry it though they carry all -- if they are not out -- of all the other colors? I've gone through a least two 50 mL bottles of of the stuff and I'm on my 3rd.... and I don't so as much writing as I use to. I'll fill a pen 3-4 times with Blue Suede before I might switch to either Naples Blue or Tanzanite (depends on my mood), or possibly Arabian Rose. I just bought a 66 mL bottle online. But there seems to be fewer and fewer bottles of Blue Suede remaining. Enquiring minds want to know!

I’m on my last bottle, too. But take a look at the KWZ inks, Blue #4, for example, and see if the colors satisfy the urge.

Private Reserve Blue Suede was reformulated. Previously it was "green". Now its "blue." Teal that is.

So I heard. Moving this from a Blue-Green to a Teal Blue is going to put it very close in color to Private Reserve's own Naples Blue, which is very close to being a Teal Blue, which I also happen to use. I wonder if this is why they have eliminated "Blue Suede" from their color charts -- ie a corporate decision was made to go only with Naples Blue. I personally think this is a bad decision as the TRUE Blue-Green "Blue Suede" was the only one on the market -- some come close but this was the best Blue Green on the market IMHO.

Private Reserve is making a HUGE mistake. While I doubt there will be rioting in the streets over a) Their reformulation of Blue Suede or b ) No longer carrying the Classic Blue Green Blue Suede (I'n not sure which is worse), the push will be on to find a close replacement. Noodler's potentially is the best known name with the widest selection of ink colors outside of Private Reserve. I'll wait to see if Private Reserve tends to replace Blue Suede on its color chart or not. If I wanted a Teal Blue I'd buy Naples Blue; but if I want a true Blue Green Blue Suede was it.

Edited by azbobcat

Noooo! Blue suede is one of my favorite colors. And I only have about a quarter of a bottle left.... :(

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

I’m on my last bottle, too. But take a look at the KWZ inks, Blue #4, for example, and see if the colors satisfy the urge.

OK First I snarfed up a second 66 mL bottle of the Blue-Green "Blue Suede" -- the REAL "Blue Suede" not this new stuff.

I then found something called the "Ink Comparison Tool" over at Anderson Pens (https://andersonpens.com/ink-comparison-tool/). You can compare inks globally (All Inks), by color, or within a single brand (ex. Private Reserve.). You can match up to 5 different inks side-by-side.

I found an almost perfect match for Private Reserve's "Blue-Suede" (old Blue-Green formulation). If someone wants to guess it happens to be a Noodler's Ink, you would be correct. Noodler's version of "Blue Suede" is called Noodler's "Turquoise".

Another Private Reserve ink that I use a lot of (and usually fills my second pen) is Private Reserve "Naples Blue". Noodler's has an almost exact match for that ink too, it is called Noodler's "Navajo Turquoise".

Whereas both Private Reserve's "Blue Suede" (old) and Noodler's "Turquoise" are true Blue-Green inks, both Private Reserve's "Naples Blue" and Noodler's "Navajo Turquoise" lean toward the Teal Blue side.

Truthfully I'm not sure what Private Reserve is thinking by changing the formulation of Blue Suede... that is IF it is still being offered for sale, as Blue Suede is missing from their Color Chart. What bottles of the original Blue Suede that are still out there they seem to be disappearing fairly quick. I had NOT intended to buy another bottle, given that I had just purchased a new 66 mL bottle just last week, and I still have about a 1/4 bottle left of my re-hydrated ink, given how much I use this single color, and I am not sure what is going to happen to Blue Suede or even if it will be continued to be offered, I decided to pounce on another 66 mL bottle while I could.

I truly wish Private Reserve would get their act together and at the very least get their website back on line, and they would at least release a NEW Updated color chart of their inks. Right now I have time and I think I'll start looking to see if Noodler's has any near clones of other Private Reserve colors I use.

My understanding is the gentleman who formulated PR inks died without writing down all his formulas. So his family was trying to keep things going without complete understanding of his magic.

My understanding is the gentleman who formulated PR inks died without writing down all his formulas. So his family was trying to keep things going without complete understanding of his magic.

Great, just Great... NOT!!! What happens when all their other colors run low?? They "reformulate" them too? Is Private Reserve going out of business?? They no longer have a website though they do have a presence -- or sorts -- on social media. Not writing down the formulation of your various color inks is stupid -- that is the type of thing I did when I created my Blue-Green ink by throwing roughly 1/2 bottle of Quink Blue (probably washable blue) in with roughly a 1/2 bottle of Quink Green ink. Not exactly scientific. It the same thing as if you are a chef at a wonderful restaurant and not write down the recipes for your wonderful dishes. Consistency is important, and you can't have consistency if you don't know what proportions of colors were used to create any particular color.

So the BIG question is Is Private Reserve going out of business? If what you say is correct, add that to the fact that they no longer have a website and one comes to the conclusion that is indeed the direction where their business is heading. I am not about to man the lifeboats YET... but knowing where your life vest is, where the nearest exits are located, etc. makes good sense. I think I'm going to start exploring both Noodler's and Diamine to see if they have inks that come close to matching Private Reserve's shades. I have already found two of the 8 that I use at Noodler's, I think I'll check for the others as well.

Considering how often some of the Noodlers colors have changed when Nathan couldn’t get a particular dye anymore and a huge company like Herbin had to completely reformulate colors after centuries because the EU changed some regs, I’m prepared to cut an artist some slack when he dies unexpectedly. I know it’s heresy to some on here, but...are you sitting down?

ITS ONLY INK.

I mourn the passing of the man and his genius for color.

• 2 weeks later...

I then found something called the "Ink Comparison Tool" over at Anderson Pens (https://andersonpens.com/ink-comparison-tool/). You can compare inks globally (All Inks), by color, or within a single brand (ex. Private Reserve.). You can match up to 5 different inks side-by-side.

I found an almost perfect match for Private Reserve's "Blue-Suede" (old Blue-Green formulation). If someone wants to guess it happens to be a Noodler's Ink, you would be correct. Noodler's version of "Blue Suede" is called Noodler's "Turquoise".

Another Private Reserve ink that I use a lot of (and usually fills my second pen) is Private Reserve "Naples Blue". Noodler's has an almost exact match for that ink too, it is called Noodler's "Navajo Turquoise".

Whereas both Private Reserve's "Blue Suede" (old) and Noodler's "Turquoise" are true Blue-Green inks, both Private Reserve's "Naples Blue" and Noodler's "Navajo Turquoise" lean toward the Teal Blue side.

Again using the "Ink Comparison Tool" over at Anderson Pens (https://andersonpens.com/ink-comparison-tool/), I have now added some more Private Reserve conversion for Noodlers Inks:

Private Reserve's "Blue-Suede" (old Blue-Green formulation) (approx) = Noodler's "Turquoise"

Private Reserve's "Naples Blue" (approx) = Noodler's "Navajo Turquoise"

Private Reserve "Arabian Rose" (approx) = Noodlers "Violet Vote"

Private Reserve "Burgundy Mist" (approx) = Noodlers "Black Swan Australian Rose(s)"

Private Reserve "Fiesta Red" (approx) = Noodlers "Park Red"

Private Reserve "Tanzanite" (approx) = Noodlers "Periwinkle"

Private Reserve "Spearmint" (approx) = Noodlers "Eel Gruene Cactus" or Noodlers "Green"

That now accounts for 7 of the 8 colors I use. IF I were in the market for various inks *today* I'd probably buy either Noodlers or Diamine, until we hear from Private Reserve and what the hell is going on with them. The uncertainty is driving me crazy.

I have now found the 8th and final Private Reserve Replacement Ink:

Private Reserve "Tangerine Dream" (approx) = Noodlers "Habanero"

This was by far the hardest of the colors to match, but I found an OLD Private Reserve Chart :

12-Shell-Pink-Private-Reserve-Ink-Cartri

... and then used "Ink Comparison Tool" (https://andersonpens...omparison-tool/), which does not list PR "Tangerine Dream" to compare it to. Needless to say there are many "Orange" inks out there and there are several offered by Noodlers itself that are very close in shading. The two closest Noodlers inks were Noodlers "Summer Tanager" and Noodlers "Habanero". Online research showed that while close in color, the two are far apart. Most people hate "Summer Tanager", while most love "Habanero". "Habanero" might not be as intensely "Orange" as "Summer Tanager", but it is very, very close.

So there it is, my 8 ink color replacements should Private Reserve go under. I can only wish that Private Reserve would better communicate with its customers as to what is going on with them. While I still have a LOT of ink to go through before I need to worry about "abandoning ship", I now have located suitable replacements should I need to do so.

I can say the same about Ebony Blue. IMO it's not blue at all, it's green...

Mine isn't green. It's well, okay, at least somewhat teal....

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)