elysee

Just now seeing your thread about the lost package. So sorry to hear about all of this. I can imagine how frustrated you must be.

I am THE most impatient person on the planet !!! I have seen several items that I am interested in on ebay but would not bid on them because they would be coming from outside of the U.S. Nothing against sellers outside of the U.S. Its just that I am too impatient to wait for weeks for a package to arrive.

Glad to hear you got a refund, at the least. I would have been inconsolable if I had been in your shoes !!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• elysee

• Pen Nut

• Orfalaise

• daoud62

Just out of curiosity how good of a deal did you get? I wonder if it's possible to stage a pen being sent so that the seller can claim it was sent without actually sending the pen. The obvious reason being - the pen sold for cheaper than they were willing to let it go for. I have had an interesting experience with a seller in which I will not name. I won a Parker 51 first year demonstrator on ebay-- for a very very good price. When I received the pen it was needing a new diaphragm. When I sent it in to have it fixed the restorer said the filling mechanism had been glued in place. I often wonder if the seller did not do this out of spite --- we had some heated emails before the pen was sent. Anyway back to my point--- I think people can use dome creative ways to beat the system if they so choose.

I have had one package go missing. I bought a pen set from ebay and it never arrived. I received my money back after filing a paypal dispute. The sad part is that I really wanted the set and they are not easy to find. It is a very frustrating experience but I have to say that 99% of my ebay experiences have been positive.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

I don't think you can fake a tracking number to show up a dispatched item that has made it from France to the US.

When my watch went missing the tracking number for the package was never traceable anywhere in the system

Used different couriers over the years and the two that, for me at least, stand out are Fedex (when sending to the USA) and DHL. Excellent tracking info and very quick. OK it may cost a few quid extra but that more than makes up for the service received.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

No, I never did receive the package. In addition, I never received any information from the seller regarding a postal investigation; I never heard from Orfalaise either. To date, no information was ever available via USPS tracking; I still check from time to time just for the heck of it.

Did your package arrive?

Hi Elysee,

My package did arrive after more than 3 weeks. I am sorry to hear about yours falling into the void, but at least you received a full refund.

Used different couriers over the years and the two that, for me at least, stand out are Fedex (when sending to the USA) and DHL. Excellent tracking info and very quick. OK it may cost a few quid extra but that more than makes up for the service received.

Having bought quite a number of pens over the years from overseas, I share with you my experience with mail and courier services:

1) Packages with tracking numbers from most countries which enter the USA through the USPS pass through Customs efficiently and never result in the payment of duty. Never.

2) Packages coming from Italy or France -- whether sent by registered mail or colissimo or the local equivalent -- are always delayed at least 10 days in Customs on the US side. There must be a reason for this.

3) Packages that are sent via DHL always, without fail, are delayed in Customs and always, again without fail, involve the payment of duty. This has been my experience over the past 10 years. If I find out that a package is sent by a local courier which has a partnering arrangement with DHL, I literally cringe. I refuse to use DHL any longer because of this.

4) Packages that are sent via FedEx involve payment of duty about 50% of the time. One package was actually delayed in Customs for 10 days because the airway bill said "fountain pen" and Customs wanted to know if the pen had ink in it, because if it had ink, the ink could not come into the country unless accompanied by a declaration from the shipper that the ink was not made of a toxic substance.

5) The most efficient and the cheapest courier service in the world is EMS Japan. It has no equal. It always passes through Customs quickly and without any hiccups at all. If only all courier and mail services were like it, the world would be a better place.

6) I have had three experiences with Hong Kong's EMS equivalent, and they were all delayed in excess of 8 days in reaching me.

7) UPS from Europe is amazingly efficient (I have received pens from Madrid in less than 24 hours). UPS Ground in the US is the slowest service there is, followed by FedEx Ground.

8) Do not under any circumstances ever use Aramex from the Middle East. They are slow and all packages, every single one, is opened and manhandled. I have also had things stolen, and they refused to compensate me. One was a rosary that was included in a package with a fountain pen (one wonders who would steal a rosary, but ...).

Again, these are my experiences, but I have quite a lengthy track record, and I am wondering whether others have had the same experience.