elysee

During the past five years or so, I have been watching for, bidding on, and losing eBay auctions for Montblanc Writers Edition Oscar Wilde ballpoint pens. For the latest Oscar Wilde ballpoint pen auction of interest to me, I bid, was outbid, and then bid again, as usual, several times during the duration of the auction. Not expecting to win, since I never have in the past, I bid once again this afternoon before taking my sister to the train station. When I checked the listing for the auction ending price a couple hours ago, I was shocked and surprised to find that I had won the auction! This has never happened before -- that is, I won the auction without any last-second bidding. In fact, my last bid was placed over two hours before the end of the auction!

I had managed to buy an Oscar Wide pencil first-hand (with all papers and boxes) from a pen store a few years ago -- the only Oscar Wilde series piece that I had seen in any pen store. After that, I had started watching for the pens on eBay.

So, now, I must wait for the delivery of my new Oscar Wilde ballpoint pen! To date, this will be the most expensive single pen that I have ever purchased; my purchase of a four-piece (pencil, ballpoint, fountain pen, rollerball) Caran D'Ache Hexagonal Escalie (sp??) brown lacquer set on eBay is my only purchase for which the price was higher -- about twice as high as for this pen. Yikes! But, truth be told, the Caran D'Ache Hexagonal set is FANTASTIC and each piece writes like a dream, making the set well worth the price and one of my favorites.

The Oscar Wilde ballpoint pen that I won has one of the lowest winning auction prices for an Oscar Wilde ballpoint pen that I have ever seen on eBay. It would seem that the other bidders forgot the ending time for the auction based on how rapidly they had outbid my other bids. The only lower-priced listing including an Oscar Wilde ballpoint pen that I have seen was for a ballpoint pen and pencil set listed by a seller that did not have a sufficient long-term feedback rating for my tastes and the pencil (which I did not need anyway) had some condition issued.

So, now, I must endure the anticipation of receiving my new Oscar Wilde ballpoint pen! Darn international shipping -- at least five days to wait for the arrival. Of course, it could be longer as my last pen took a detour to another city -- tracking listed the pen as "missent" -- due to the postal service. Stuff happens. LOL! : )

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• elysee

• Pen Nut

• Orfalaise

• daoud62

Congratulations! I am sure that you will enjoy this pen more than any other one you have!

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

So, now, I must wait for the delivery of my new Oscar Wilde ballpoint pen! To date, this will be the most expensive single pen that I have ever purchased; my purchase of a four-piece (pencil, ballpoint, fountain pen, rollerball) Caran D'Ache Hexagonal Escalie (sp??) brown lacquer set on eBay is my only purchase for which the price was higher -- about twice as high as for this pen. Yikes! But, truth be told, the Caran D'Ache Hexagonal set is FANTASTIC and each piece writes like a dream, making the set well worth the price and one of my favorites.

Neat. I love my Hexagonal.

My Website

Neat. I love my Hexagonal.

I had watched the listing and re-listing of the Caran D'Ache Hexagonal set for quite some time, periodically contacting the seller to see if he would lower the price. After more than a year, he finally agreed and he seemed happy that someone who would appreciate the set would have it.

I fell in love with the Caran D'Ache Hexagonal series during graduate school -- when I had absolutely no money and no home of every owning any of these lovely pens. So, it was wonderfully kind of the seller to accept my offer so that I could enjoy my Caran D'Ache dream set. :cloud9:

I am very excited to own my Oscar Wilde dream pen. :cloud9:

Edited by elysee

Congratulations! I am sure that you will enjoy this pen more than any other one you have!

Erick

Thanks! I am very excited -- I love the spots, and my Oscar Wilde pencil has been in need of a mate. : )

Congrats, hope you enjoy it!

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

Congratulations! It must feel good to have your patience rewarded.

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."-Jim Valvano

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."-Ronald Reagan

Five years, you must have incredible patience and endurance ( all which should increase your satisfaction), enjoy!!

Five years on is dedication and patience. Well done you and I hope that you enjoy your Oscar Wilde pen when you receive it.

Congratulations! Patience always pays... It's one of my favorite ballpoint, I'm selling some of them right now but will keep the Wilde for sure. I think I saw the auction you won, wasn't it the Sarase one of yesterday? Great price,if it's the right one... The second one from Erforbay ended up at 621$, without box too. And Sarase is a great seller...

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations! Patience always pays... It's one of my favorite ballpoint, I'm selling some of them right now but will keep the Wilde for sure. I think I saw the auction you won, wasn't it the Sarase one of yesterday? Great price,if it's the right one... The second one from Erforbay ended up at 621$, without box too. And Sarase is a great seller...

I won the Erfobay auction. After all the waiting to win an auction for an Oscar Wilde Ballpoint pen all that time, the hardest part seems to be the waiting for the pen to arrive. The pen made it to the United States on Wednesday, June 26th, according to the Colissimo site, but the USPS site has not provided any information about the location/status of the pen. I contacted my Post Office as well as the USPS Customer Service folks but neither could provide any information. I contacted Monica and she said that the pen is, most likely, in Customs. However, this is the longest that I have ever waited for an item from anywhere around the world, and the USPS web site has always provided tracking information from the day (on occasion, the day after) on which the item was shipped. But, alas, I must wait a bit longer it seems. I suppose that the pen will be my "reward" or "treat" during our current heat wave if it can arrive by Saturday. Otherwise, I will begin my third week of waiting for "the arrival" on Monday, July 8th.

Well done winning the auction, for me the only way to win a eBay action is to only bid in the last five seconds, and if I can't be online at the correct time then use an auction sniping service like auction stealer, nowadays its the only way to win anything at a more realistic price, that way you don't fall foul of sellers getting there mates to keep bumping the price up, and you also only get one chance to bid so only bid what you really want to bid without getting caught up in any bidding wars.

Paul

I won the Erfobay auction. After all the waiting to win an auction for an Oscar Wilde Ballpoint pen all that time, the hardest part seems to be the waiting for the pen to arrive. The pen made it to the United States on Wednesday, June 26th, according to the Colissimo site, but the USPS site has not provided any information about the location/status of the pen. I contacted my Post Office as well as the USPS Customer Service folks but neither could provide any information. I contacted Monica and she said that the pen is, most likely, in Customs. However, this is the longest that I have ever waited for an item from anywhere around the world, and the USPS web site has always provided tracking information from the day (on occasion, the day after) on which the item was shipped. But, alas, I must wait a bit longer it seems. I suppose that the pen will be my "reward" or "treat" during our current heat wave if it can arrive by Saturday. Otherwise, I will begin my third week of waiting for "the arrival" on Monday, July 8th.

I often send packages to the US. Generally, with colissimo, it takes between two or three weeks because of the customs. You'll probably receive it at the beginning of next week. Monica is a great seller, and communication is always a pleasure with her, you're going to have a great pen.

Congrats on your acquisition

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I often send packages to the US. Generally, with colissimo, it takes between two or three weeks because of the customs. You'll probably receive it at the beginning of next week. Monica is a great seller, and communication is always a pleasure with her, you're going to have a great pen.

You have just made my day! I have been very concerned that I could not track the pen on usps.com, and my concern has increased each day that the pen had not arrived. The pen did not arrive today, and it will be two weeks since it was shipped this coming Monday.

What is making the amount of time in customs so long in this case? Most of my other international packages have been delivered in a week or less.

Edited by elysee