• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Johnson

• sonia_simone

• superfly

• Christine

Well, I am yet to drop a pen, but I have dropped a straight razor on several occasions. Trying to catch it in mid air is a no-no, you're risking your digits there, so you have nothing to do but watch it meet the floor. They break easily, and no repairs there... So, I feel your pain.

Nenad

p.s. Two razors survived the fall, one died, but it was a junker e-boy blade anyways, so I hope the razor gods are happy huh.gif

life is nothing if you're not obsessed.

QUOTE (superfly @ Feb 20 2007, 06:40 PM)
Well, I am yet to drop a pen, but I have dropped a straight razor on several occasions. Trying to catch it in mid air is a no-no, you're risking your digits there, so you have nothing to do but watch it meet the floor. They break easily, and no repairs there... So, I feel your pain.

Nenad

p.s. Two razors survived the fall, one died, but it was a junker e-boy blade anyways, so I hope the razor gods are happy huh.gif

Hey, it's Nenad from SRP! Ben here from SRP, SMF, and other fine forums. Great to see ya. It seems we're everywhere.

laugh.gif

MY WISH LIST

Pilot/Namiki Vanishing Point, black and rhodium

Aurora 88 Ottantotto Nikargenta, black and rhodium

Sailor Sapporo, full size, black and rhodium

Namiki Bamboo, black

Nakaya Writer, black, rhodium clip, two-tone nib

• 4 weeks later...

QUOTE (Ben @ Feb 21 2007, 09:02 PM)

Hey, it's Nenad from SRP! Ben here from SRP, SMF, and other fine forums. Great to see ya. It seems we're everywhere.

laugh.gif

ooops, I just saw Ben's greeting, reading this post with delay, linked from other place...

Hello Ben, great to see ya as well smile.gif

Yep, we seam to share the same interests, and hang on on the same places biggrin.gif

Now, if only I could find descent watch and photography forums... tongue.gif

cheers,

Nenad

life is nothing if you're not obsessed.

Oh agony, agony...

I feel some of your pain. I just got my first (uh oh, I said first...does that mean I'll be getting another?) VP tonight. No Binderized nib yet. I'm trying to fight off the ink temptation.

My condolences...

I left my VP out one time and my son tried to draw using one of Daddy's pens - he's 5 so the results were predictably bad although it did inspire me to get him a Sheaffer school pen and teach him how to write properly! smile.gif Anyway - I ended up just getting a replacement nib at the local B&M shop in a pinch but will some day get a stub from Richard. But it is absolutely true that if you have to mangle a nib, a VP is one of the easiest to replace.

As for the straight razor, not only would I be worried about trying to instinctively catch it I'd be jumping out of the way to try to save my toes as well! I use a double edge safety razor but do not have the cajones to try a straight razor... ohmy.gif

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

QUOTE (Lloyd @ Feb 5 2007, 11:44 AM)
Condolences.
It sounds like you work in a bank. Why not attach your VP to one of those metal chains tethered to a desk like all other pens that banks lend out to customers.

Hey - I think we have some commercial possibilities here! Are you vendor types listening?

You could sell the equivalent of idiot mittens (the ones with the strings up the arms so your kid can't lose them even if they take them off.

How about a nice band of something tasteful worn around the neck, with a light bit of line (fishing line?) from there to the pen. Drop all you want - you'll just get ink on your shirt!

The bands could be customised like guitar straps to suit personal preference - sky's the limit, with national colours, or a range so you can match your ensemble that day, or......

You heard it first here - please send royalty cheques care of my agent (SWMBO)

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

Been there, done that...though it was a Parker, not a VP. Too bad. What we should do is collect all these sad stories in one thread and then vote on the most heartbreaking tale. The winner gets....what? Someone help me think....

QUOTE (playpen @ Mar 20 2007, 06:07 PM)
Been there, done that...though it was a Parker, not a VP. Too bad. What we should do is collect all these sad stories in one thread and then vote on the most heartbreaking tale. The winner gets....what? Someone help me think....

A yellow Lamy safari! cool.gif

happiness isn't caused

QUOTE (Johnson @ Mar 21 2007, 03:27 AM)
OP edited, the nib has been fixed, thanks all for your condolences. smile.gif

Fixed or replaced? If it is fixed - how did you do it?

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

Whoa! I just saw the pic of the mangled nib! ohmy.gif Wow....... Being "just a little girl", I think I would have cried like my 2.92328767 year old son when I rob him of his right to a Happy Meal toy (why that $1 piece of... is worth so much to a child is beyond me).

Ruaidhri: You da man! Great job!!! animal26.gif

QUOTE (HesNot @ Mar 21 2007, 07:18 AM)
QUOTE (Johnson @ Mar 21 2007, 03:27 AM)
OP edited, the nib has been fixed, thanks all for your condolences.  smile.gif

Fixed or replaced? If it is fixed - how did you do it?

Voodoo. ph34r.gif

happiness isn't caused

This is exactly the kind of thing that brings me back. Ruaidhri really did such a nice gesture for Johnson, bringing his VP nib back to life from a horrific accident. A nice symbiosis--Ruaidhri gets to have a first time experiment on working a VP nib and Johnson reaps the rewards! And of course, another fabulous Richard Binder nib gets to write another day. biggrin.gif

Johnson, I noticed that you got a 0.8mm stub italic nib. How smooth does it write compared with other modified nibs you've used? I've been contemplating getting one of those versus a 0.7mm cursive left-foot oblique italic, 15°. Had you considered oblique nibs at all? What ultimately made the 0.8mm stub your nib of choice?

~Gary

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small