I dropped my VP with new Binder stub!

Johnson

I was going to wait until I could take a picture of the mangled nib, but I just couldn't go all day without scrounging for some sympathy from fellow fountain pen enthusiasts. I have yet to drop a pen, so I guess it was just a matter of time.

I just got in this past weekend a fantastic 0.8mm Binder stub for my VP. I'd been writing with it all weekend, incredibly smooth, a huge improvement over the standard VP nib. Just a real pleasure to write with, and easy to write with as well.

So this morning I'm at work initialing some deposits and counting cash, when the unthinkable happens: I dropped my VP, with the nib exposed, and it drops straight on the nib into the thin carpet. :( I was aghast when I saw the mess I had made of the tines. Absolutely terrible! :(

I hate to say it, but the only bright side of this is I'm glad it happened on a VP, as the nib units are much more inexpensive then the typical nib.

So I'm off to go buy a new stub... I've decided I cannot live without one! :blush:

EDIT 3/20/07, problem resolved per https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=27174

Edited by Johnson

happiness isn't caused

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Johnson

• sonia_simone

• superfly

• Christine

Ouch! That hurts to read about, and it makes me think of those horrific moments when you just watch, and the universe slows down as the pen soars through the air to land messily.

My extreme sympathies.

So many times I've wished someone would invent a fountain pen that would always land the right way, like a cat--

My sympathies, I've been there.

So many times I've wished someone would invent a fountain pen that would always land the right way, like a cat--

My sympathies, I've been there.

I think that's a great idea! Can they add a movable weight or something?

Johnson, I'm sorry...Ive done that, too. Hope you get your replacement nib soon!!

That really is a shame. At least the standard VP nibs can be replaced easily. I'd like to know more about the VP nib modification you made. I have a fine point VP and find it a little scratchy. I might try the medium nib.

That really is a shame. At least the standard VP nibs can be replaced easily. I'd like to know more about the VP nib modification you made. I have a fine point VP and find it a little scratchy. I might try the medium nib.

The nib that he has was modified by Richard Binder

I had one on a VP that I sold. They are fantasic nibs and Richard generally has them in stock for immediate shipping...

Sorry to hear about your nib catastrophe, Jack.

After obtaining a replacement, you need either to:

(1) attach your VP to a piece of buttered toast (butter side away from the nib) or

(2) attach your VP to a cat (feet side away from the nib)

This will ensure that you will no longer drop your VP on its nib in the future.

See: http://www.why-is-the-sky-blue.tv/catfeet-toast.htm for the general principle.

How you accomplish this is up to you. :P

Don M.

Edited by dwmatteson

Sorry, sorry...

I haven't even ordered a stub for my Decimo yet (still trying to justify it) and I'm wincing as I write.

Horrible.

Argh, awful! but luckily you can soothe your pain by ordering a replacement immediately.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Condolences.

It sounds like you work in a bank. Why not attach your VP to one of those metal chains tethered to a desk like all other pens that banks lend out to customers.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Ouch.

Esp. the King of Pen, lacking (so far as I know) a nice easy way to get a new nib and swap it.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Condolences.

It sounds like you work in a bank. Why not attach your VP to one of those metal chains tethered to a desk like all other pens that banks lend out to customers.

Because I don't let customers use my pens!! :D I am real big on customer service, so it creates an uncomfortable situation when say I'm sitting near a customer, and they go to grab the pen in my pocket to write something down. They open it up and look at the nib quizzically, "Oh, this is one ah them old pens."

Usually some wordless noise escapes my throat, "Aaaahararggglle..." and, as gently as possible, I snatch the pen out of their hands, replacing it with a BP.

I've only ever let one customer sign with one of my pens, it was an elderly gentlemen who came in with his wife. He was not an FP enthusiast, but he was absolutely delighted to see me writing with one. Instead of an old pen, he said, "This is a real pen!" :D Pretty cool, it was the only time my FP was a real conversation piece.

Thanks all for the kind words! What I think this means in the greater scheme of things is that The Great Magnet is displeased with me for not buying an M200 Blue Demo along with my VP Stub last week. :ph34r: I'll have to try to make sure not to displease him again on my next purchase. :)9

happiness isn't caused

Very sound reasoning!

--The Tick

I have been there too when I was younger (8 years old) and when I dropped unintentially my first waterman pen.I wish you all the best.

regards

georges

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I feel your pain. My brand-new Parker Sonnet just landed wrong-side up after rolling off a patient's chart. It was only my second day of using it at work, too!

"The person who takes the banal and ordinary and illuminates it in a new way can terrify. We do not want our ideas changed. We feel threatened by such demands. 'I already know the important things!' we say. Then Changer comes and throws our old ideas away."

--Frank Herbert; Chapterhouse: Dune

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Sorry to hear about your loss, but as you said, at least it was your VP nib, and it's replaceable for a lot smaller fee than most others!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)