Your Least Favourite Letter

GabrielleDuVent

All of the following is with respect to Copperplate/Engrossers script.

It used to be any majuscule. :-)

I read a paper on Iampeth by Joe Vitolo on the basis of all letters on the oval, and suddenly a lot made sense, and most letters got better.

Now, I have the most difficulty with anything with a long upstroke connecting two downstrokes: M, N, V, W (ok, V has one downstroke...it is still hard for me).

And then is 'z', both the minuscule and majuscule. I have trouble achieving the right slant to the weighted down strokes.

jab11113@gmail.com

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GabrielleDuVent

• flyingfox

• pmhudepo

• mrcharlie

I can write the lower z fine if I'm just drilling it; writing it alone. Or if it is the first letter of a word.

When I have to write a z in the midst of a word it never comes out right. It isn't high enough priority/I don't use it often enough to bother drilling with words that have a z in order to fix it.

Upper case z is a stupid shape, but I have no problem making it, since it is never coming linked from another letter.

If I'm in a hurry... 'c' looks like 'e', 'd' like 'cl' and 'r' instead of having that nice, curly, wavy top, looks like 'v'. If I slow down a bit, they're fine.

Letter 'x' always looks weird if I try the Palmer version. We used to have a nicer, more elegant version that looks a bit like the Command-key on an Apple keyboard. I think I'll stick with that letter.

In majuscules, 'I', 'J' and 'K' never look right. The first two are easily confused, the latter just ugly.

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

My least favourite letter is the one from the bank.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

or the right side of 租.

Uh oh. My Chinese name has 祖 in it. You'd hate it!

My most hated letter would have to be lowercase f because my heavy sloping causes the f to look like a really long and mutated lowercase L. It has no gaps between the two loops when I write fast. :wacko: When I write slower, I don't really hate any letter in particular.

My least favourite letter is the one from the bank.

:lticaptd:

If we're going to be talking about letters like that, then letters telling me how much debt I'm in because of studies would be my least favourite.

If I'm in a hurry... 'c' looks like 'e', 'd' like 'cl'....

+1, but the other way around... my "cl" end up looking like a "d" at times, and an "e" could be deflated to become like a "c" if I am not careful.

+1, but the other way around... my "cl" end up looking like a "d" at times, and an "e" could be deflated to become like a "c" if I am not careful.

Oh, sure. Despite countless practice sessions with Mr. Mills, I am still perfectly capable of Chicken Scratch. Noooo problem. At All.

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

The capital B. Screw that thing, I can never make it look pretty. My D's come out pretty good if I try, but if I don't they're messy as all else. The capital K is a piece of work for me too. I can never make it look balanced...

As for the lower letters, I detest writing the 'c' and 'e' close together, because they look so similar. But my most hated, by far, would have to be the 'r'. Or rather, the "i without a dot" as it comes out to look like more often than not. Or the "hump thingey" the other half of the time...

Strangely enough, minuscule c. Writing quickly, I often render it without the proper curvature so it looks like an i without the dot. I note historical writing with the c written with the curve extending below the baseline when beginning a word. Maybe that was to counteract the same tendency. Maybe not.

Doug

Capital G...who invented this ugly letter?

I'm speculating here, but I think the curly bit at the top originally looked sort of like what a print G should look like, or close to it. I don't know why it needs to be on a pedestal.

The basic form has been mutated and simplified in some versions of cursive so that the top part no longer looks like a G.

post-82935-0-61808900-1372129447.jpg

Edit: By happenstance, I saw a painting on a TV show monogrammed by the artist with a cap G that looked like a small cursive g made large, but the loop not quite connected which makes sense when compared with a print cap G. I'd seen this form of cursive G before but not often and had forgotten about it. It makes sense if you start with this, and try to make a version of it that has no descender, and you end up with my initial cap G form in the illustration above. And then the further flatter and less recognizable versions as before.

post-82935-0-47168100-1372177112.jpg

Edited by mrcharlie

Lowercase r's are some of my least favorite letters. I just can't seem to write them well consistently.