Serwex 1362 Flex (Versus Ahab)

Mister John

I recently acquired a couple of Serwex pens from my good friends at Fountain Pen Revolution. What attracted me to these pens was the chance to get a flex nib in a piston filler for the absurdly low price of $6. How did this buy work out?

Initial Impressions

post-96604-0-97571700-1371775661.jpg

On receiving the pens (I ordered several along with the 1362 flex), one definitely gets a sense that these are pens meant to be used rather than stared at. The red plastic of the 1362 is not especially shiny nor is the nib polished. The clip is not quite parallel to the line of the pen and is a bit loose until I tighten the cap tassie. All of this is fine since I bought these pens with tossing them into a backpack in mind.

By way of comparison, I also have an Ahab in a green swirl pattern. The finish on that pen is much nicer than the Serwex. The pen is shinier, the finish more interesting, and the furniture better done. Of course, at $20, the Ahab costs more than 3x as much. Comparing something in a similar price class, I'd say the finish is comparable to a Pilot Varsty (around $3 US) but with many extras for the Serwex.

post-96604-0-88421600-1371775670.jpg

Filling

One the most impressive things about the 3162 is that it is a true piston filler. Just like a Montblanc, you simply twist the blind cap to move an internal plunger in and out. The system works perfectly--the twist mechanism is smooth and the ink suction excellent. For $6, this is one of the most amazing features of the pen.

Writing

post-96604-0-88421600-1371775670.jpg

As I mentioned at the outset, what attracted me to the pen was flex. While by no means a wet noodle, the nib is semi-flex going from F to BB with moderate pressure. Railroading happens occasionally, but is not a serious problem. The feed seems to be about to keep up with he nib, at least at the speed with which I write using flex. Compared to the Ahab, the fineness of an unflexed line of the Serwex is narrower and the amount of pressure needed to flex is also lighted. I also did not have to flddle with the nib to get it to work. So I'd rate the Serwex as better.

post-96604-0-47922000-1371775692_thumb.jpg

Smells

Like the Ahab, the Serwex pen stinks, quite literally. The pen has a distinct chemical odor that somewhat reminds me of vomit. The Ahab has a similar odor. You do get used to it after a while, but it definitely takes away from the experience.

Bottom Line

At $6, it is hard to go wrong. I've only had the pen for a couple of weeks, and it has performed fine. If this keeps up, then I'd rate the pen a strong buy. The flex makes it extremely fun to work with. Usually, when dropping below $10, you are stuck with a basic medium tippped pen, certainly if you go Chinese. The idea that you can have a pen that is both cheap to buy, but has high end features like a piston and an interesting nib selection is a bonus. Compared to the Ahab, I think the Serwex is vastly superior. Less fiddly to operate and with easier to use flex, it achieves what the Ahab aspires to, and does it cheaper as well. The only drawback is a body that definitely looks cheap. The Ahab is much more attractive.

post-96604-0-79359900-1371775679.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dip n Scratch

• rwilsonedn

• Mister John

• zaded

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice review! I tend to agree (from a very small sample) that the Serwex semiflex nib seems to be better-behaved than the Noodlers, and it doesn't require remanufacturing to get it to write. Not a substitute for a vintage nib, by any means, but a wonderfully inexpensive introduction to line variation. And yes, isn't it amazing that they are putting out a smooth, reliable piston-filler for this price?

ron

• 2 years later...

Hi Mister John,

I want to buy this pen solely for the flex nib. But my experience with semi flex nibs is that it takes a lot of pressure and my hands ache after a paragraph. So pressure wise which one is easier the ahabs or this one?

• 1 year later...

Is the Serwex 1362 made of Vegetal?

I couldn't resist this pen after the favourable comments.