Estate Sale 40 Pen Case With 18 Pens $45.00

Liamtyr

I found this set at an online estate sale not to long ago. I am really quite new to fountain pens in general (my wife got me into them only about a year ago) and outside of the purchases i have made for myself i know next to nothing about the myriad of vendors and manufacturers of writing instruments. That being said, i was looking for a case that I could keep my pens in so that my desk wasn't quite so cluttered. I found this 40 pen case and a lot of pens for $45.00 and decided to purchase it. The owner didn't really care for them nor was she interested in them in any way. I liked the look of quite a few of them and i hoped they would write nicely since i thought they were quite attractive. I brought the purchase home and showed them to my wife (who is a life long lover of fountain pens) and her jaw dropped. Needless to say i still have no idea what I have here, but kudos to anyone who can identify any of these sets. I have yet to be able to identify any of them except the bordeaux Mont Blanc, but i am such a neophyte i cant even tell you which model they are. The mechanical pencil works wonderfully well although it could use a bit of cleaning up. Regardless, i really love the one in the very middle, however it needs some TLC. If any assistance can be given as to identifying the possible manufactures pictured here or where to begin my search for answers it would be incredibly welcome. Do any of you have any similar stories of luck? I would love hear them :)

post-104868-0-64793500-1371603137_thumb.jpg

post-104868-0-11275000-1371603161_thumb.jpg

post-104868-0-47346800-1371603631_thumb.jpg

Edited by Liamtyr
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Liamtyr

• elysee

• pajaro

• Penne Stilografiche

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:puddle: If you want, I'll give ya $50 so you could make a profit. :puddle: Really amazing find! :yikes:

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

The bordeaux red ones appear to be Montblancs. At least $100 each on ebay. Unless they are imitations.

Nice haul.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

:puddle: If you want, I'll give ya $50 so you could make a profit. :puddle: Really amazing find! :yikes:

If i still was in possession of them i might consider it. My wife may object though, since she has decided to claim them as hers and 8 of them have been mysteriously transported to her desk.

Edited by Liamtyr
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

I'm afraid the pens towards the right look like Chinese pens to me...I could be wrong. Do take a closer look though.

The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

on quick glance, it looks as though the Mont Blancs are imitations. still a good find of some cool pens :)

The bordeaux red ones appear to be Montblancs. At least $100 each on ebay. Unless they are imitations.

Nice haul.

Copies of Montblanc, maybe........

Is quite obvious also from picture.

Go to the MB section, in the pinned threads, there is one that dates pens by the shape of the feeds.

It's worth a bit of time researching to find out if even one real one slipped in.

If marked 14-18K take a magnet to the nib...gold alloy is not very magnetic.

They don't look like they would be old enough for steel nibs...but I defiantly am not up to steam on MB.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Upon receiving some education in the wondrous (and a bit confusing) world of Mont Blanc i can now stand and say....None of these pens are Mont Blanc, not one. But hey thats ok with me, i just took them apart and low and behold the rollerball and ballpoints fit the Mont Blanc refills!!! Not a bad fake in my estimation, most of the connecting parts are all brass. Now i know that they are not real, anyone who knows the pens could tell from 20 feet away. That being said, they actually write really nicely with the real deal inside. The strange tiny little fountain pens (no way can fit a converter) with the tapered points actually write rather nicely as well. I will say this though, there is a bit of skipping on really fast writing and the flex isn't as much as i usually like. But hey, i bought a case that i am really digging so i am not all that upset :) it kind of like buying a humidor and opening it to find a couple of halfway decent dominicans in there :) Not as sweet as the Cubans but not a bad flavor. I did identify the the big giant gold colored fountain pen in middle, its made by the Submarine pen company in India, who is apparently still in business. I will proudly put my Monteverdes, Lamys, Pilots and Sailors in this little case next to all of these strange little pens that came from heaven knows where.

Thanks to everyone for chipping in on the info and a special thanks to Jar for the education!

-=Liam

Great treasure find.

God is my Strength.

Brad http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! The leather 40 pen case looks like the Ashton leather case that sells for around $120 plus shipping. The case alone is a "steal."

Fair winds and following seas.

The case is fantastic, i absolutely love it. I must say though.....it almost full now :(

I may have to send some of its occupants to new homes soon. I have to make room for my new Swan 1060 Leverless and Esterbrook J.

YouCollectMe - I will take a closer set of pictures if you would like to see them. The box says Sheaffer's on it but not much else. I dont have a magnifying glass so i can read what it says on the nibs. They seem to be small (And i mean really tiny) dip pens with replaceable nibs.