muratavci

Hi, I am looking for the best pen for signing documents. It should show better my signature. According to articles and advice that I read; ''Signature nibs should be Broad or BB, because a signature should never look tentative or weak - a signature should have visual impact, and convey strength and presence.'' (by yachtsilverswan)

So I think EF, F (maybe M) aren't suitable for me? In my opinion the best way try them at pen shop, but I want to learn that which issues (nib, oblique, stub etc.) should I focus? What do you think about this?

I am looking for a pen for beautiful signature. I have got a no idea about pens, nib, stub, ink etc. I want a pen for usually signing maybe sometimes take notes or writing. but my priority is signing. So what is the best pen (roller, ball-point, fountain) for you? Of course nib size, stub, oblique or straight etc. What are your suggestions? Thank you very much :thumbup:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• muratavci

• RMN

• georges zaslavsky

• Sandy1

My favourite for signing documents is my Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with a Broad nib. It provides a thick, wet line that makes a statement but isn't fussy. (I love stub nibs but prefer the Visconti B for my signature)

Pen and signature are interdependent.

It depends very much on what you want your signature to look like. If you want line variation then maybe a stub is good. If it has flourishes then maybe something flexible.

Also ask yourself why you want a signature pen. Are you trying to impress people? Perhaps something large in solid silver.

The only time I choose a particular pen to sign something is booking in to an Art Deco hotel when I use a silver Art Deco pen.

Other than that it's pretty much whatever I'm using at the time.

Dick D

how about one of the japanese pens with a music nib? bold, wet line with variation, dignified (imo) appearance, and reasonably priced.

I love stubs for signatures. My favorite "signature pen" is a gold-plated Sheaffer Targa that came with an oblique stub. However... The point is too wide for comfort with my ordinary everyday scribbling, which means I wouldn't use it for much else besides signatures. I did get a leather carry case with two pouches, so I could carry the gold Targa with the stub nib in one slot and a silver Targa with a F nib in the other. That makes a pretty neat combination.

I also have a Bexley Corona with a B nib that was custom-ground to a 0.9mm stub. That's a good compromise, as it's wide enough to make a fairly bold signature, but fine enough to feel comfortable with my everyday handwriting too. That's worked well as a one-pen solution.

Personally, I use a BB stub (1 mm) for my signature. However, if I do not have that particular pen at that instance, I use whatever width I have on me. My nibs range from wide F to 1.3 stubs.

fpn_1355507962__snailbadge.png

I prefer stubs or customized cursive italics for signature. It has been my experience that the best stock nib for signature are the stubs that came on Sheaffer's Targa, Imperial and lately the Legacy.

Thomas
Baton Rouge, LA
(tbickiii)

Check out my ebay pen listings
:
  tbickiii's Vintage Fountain Pens

^^^ That there. What HE said. :thumbup:

Were I to pick one of mine for a signature I'd be one of my Binder CI Imperials or a Masuyama Sharp Stub P-51.

A nice wet line with eye catching line variation.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

There is no set rule for a signature nib.

Actually a BB nib would not give a good appearance if you have small handwriting.

Do you already have a set signature? or are you still developing? In the latter case I would first take a pencil and notepad and see what you come up with after a few hundred tries. Nice thing with a pencil is it gets thicker with wear so you see the difference in broad or small-nibbed.

If possible, I would advise a smaller signature. Mine is rather big with a wide flourish and I have big problems to miniaturise it to sign the back of my creditcards and such.

I have many pens, and I put my signature just with the pen I am actually using at that point. No special signature-pen. And I used to sign several reports daily (less now with computerisation)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Personally, I use a BB stub (1 mm) for my signature. However, if I do not have that particular pen at that instance, I use whatever width I have on me. My nibs range from wide F to 1.3 stubs.

Thank you for your answer. Could you explain what is the difference between bb and stub bb exactly? I will be very pleased if you add image ;)

I use a Sailor King of Pen with a King Eagle nib:

http://www.nibs.com/SailorNewKingofPen.htm

http://www.nibs.com/SailorSpecialtyNibs.htm

You can adjust the boldness of your signature by altering the angle of the pen.

Thank you for links, I like this pen :thumbup: But I don't understand that explanation at the site:

''The joining of three nibs on top of one another, slit to produce the double Cross creates the ultimate in flexible writing, making broad, medium, and fine writing. This is a very juicy nib.''

How is it possinle? Are there three nibs at the same time?

Pen and signature are interdependent.

It depends very much on what you want your signature to look like. If you want line variation then maybe a stub is good. If it has flourishes then maybe something flexible.

Also ask yourself why you want a signature pen. Are you trying to impress people? Perhaps something large in solid silver.

The only time I choose a particular pen to sign something is booking in to an Art Deco hotel when I use a silver Art Deco pen.

Other than that it's pretty much whatever I'm using at the time.

Dick D

Thank you for your answer. Could you explain line variation?

how about one of the japanese pens with a music nib? bold, wet line with variation, dignified (imo) appearance, and reasonably priced.

Music nib? never heard before. Could you send link?

Thank you for links, I like this pen :thumbup: But I don't understand that explanation at the site:

''The joining of three nibs on top of one another, slit to produce the double Cross creates the ultimate in flexible writing, making broad, medium, and fine writing. This is a very juicy nib.''

How is it possinle? Are there three nibs at the same time?

If you take a close look at the tip of the King-Eagle nib you see 3 blobs on top of each other, the top one being narrow , second a bit wider, 3d again wider. With this pen the line width is dependant on the angle you write with. Pen almost vertical you get the small nib-part, and the more horizontal you keep your pen, the wider part touches the paper and gives a wider line.

D.ick

~

~

^^^ That there. What HE said. :thumbup:

Were I to pick one of mine for a signature I'd be one of my Binder CI Imperials or a Masuyama Sharp Stub P-51.

A nice wet line with eye catching line variation.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Thanks, but I think I should learn firtst what is the line variation :)

Music nib? never heard before. Could you send link?

Hey Muratavci

A music nib is a special sort of italic nib.

Better go to this page for the basics about different nibs:

http://www.richardspens.com/ref/nibs/primer.htm

This website of Richard Binder (he is a member here, too) gives a wealth of information about pens and nibs and all things connected. (like line-variation)

Very interesting and a MUST before going to buy expensive pens.

D.ick

Edited by RMN

~

~

If you take a close look at the tip of the King-Eagle nib you see 3 blobs on top of each other, the top one being narrow , second a bit wider, 3d again wider. With this pen the line width is dependant on the angle you write with. Pen almost vertical you get the small nib-part, and the more horizontal you keep your pen, the wider part touches the paper and gives a wider line.

D.ick

It is all-in-one pen, I like this :) What do you think about this pen? Is it advantage or disadvantage?

Hey Muratavci

A music nib is a special sort of italic nib.

Better go to this page for the basics about different nibs:

http://www.richardspens.com/ref/nibs/primer.htm

This website of Richard Binder (he is a member here, too) gives a wealth of information about pens and nibs and all things connected. (like line-variation)

Very interesting and a MUST before going to buy expensive pens.

D.ick

You are very helpful RMN, thanks a lot ;)

There is no set rule for a signature nib.

Actually a BB nib would not give a good appearance if you have small handwriting.

Do you already have a set signature? or are you still developing? In the latter case I would first take a pencil and notepad and see what you come up with after a few hundred tries. Nice thing with a pencil is it gets thicker with wear so you see the difference in broad or small-nibbed.

If possible, I would advise a smaller signature. Mine is rather big with a wide flourish and I have big problems to miniaturise it to sign the back of my creditcards and such.

I have many pens, and I put my signature just with the pen I am actually using at that point. No special signature-pen. And I used to sign several reports daily (less now with computerisation)

D.ick

I agree with you. Broad nibs are suitable for wide space but for smaller? And I have a big signature too.