I Want One Nice Pen: How To Choose?

Frangipani

In my opinion, you should get a fountain pen that you like. I wouldn't suggest vintage, and i would suggest getting something with a very solid re-sale value such as a Montblanc. You are graduating, that is an achievement, and get the pen you want!

Oh and what I said about re-sale value. I know the pen you will be getting has a ton of sentimental value, and you probably will never have to sell it to get money. But wouldn't it be nice knowing that the pen you bought will have the same or more value if you sell it?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• YeOlCaptain

• Frangipani

• Ecriveur

• owend

Hi Frangipani.

I'm not going to list all pens I like. Chances are your tastes are quite different. I'm asking questions, or should ask them yourself.

You already answered two of the questions I was going to put:

Are you going to spend it on a pen or something else: --> pen

Are you going to spend it all on 1 pen: yes, you are going for the nice one.

First of all, make a list of pen-properties.

Big-fat-long/small-slender-short. Weight?

Are you going for classy? Modern? colours? Silver or resin?

Normal nib? or special- stub-italic etc.

Cartridge/converter? piston? other fill-type?

Then visit many websites. Look at the pictures.

If you like a pen: tick it against your list of preferences.

You will get the longlist that way.

Then visit the review section here. Read critically. Many people are way too positive in their reviews, it being a new pen and they don't want to admit buying a dud.

You'll get your shortlist.

Then open a new topic here and ask people to name all NEGATIVE things they know about these pens.

You'll get a shorter list.

And then find a shop/seller you can trust.

In the meantime: are there any penshows in your neighbourhood, if so: go and have a look and feel.

D.ick

You must have been reading my mind. Couldn't have outlined a solid approach any better!

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

I love the idea of just one pen for your life. For me, it would be my modern Montblanc 149. Although, I love my Pilot Custom 823, Visconti Homo Sapiens, and Pilot Vanishing Point as well. That's my entire collection, and they are all grail pens as far as I'm concerned. I think I'm content to stop there, but we will see. The 149 rules the roost though and gets used most of all.

As this post statred last june ... can we already congratulate you with your graduation ???

If so then spend your money wisely .... A FP won't get you a job; a suit f.i. might be better suited :) for that ...

Wouldn't it be great to buy the pen form your first paycheck instead ?

Anyway ... if you're planning to spend $400 on a pen please do go to (a) mortar & brick store(s) and test, test, test, test pens untill you find the one for you.

I would set my budget for what I want to spend on this special pen. Then I would make a short list of the brands and models I would want- vintage or brand new. I would go with reliable, well rated brands like Lamy, Pilot Namiki, Parker, Platinum, etc. Then I would make a separate list on what I want the pen for, along with the characteristics that I would be comfortable with: examples- If this is going to be a daily use pen, do I want a acrylic body or metal body? Is this going into my pocket or my personal planner? Do I want a gold nib, or is a stainless steel nib going to work? Can I afford to lose this pen, and what would it cost to replace and/or repair it?

Also, you don't have to just limit yourself to one pen. You can get one with a gold nib and a back up with a stainless steel nib that might work for you. That way, you can carry one that you won't fear losing or damaging, while the other can remain safe at home.

<p><span style="font-size:18px;">"And the final score is No TARDIS, no screwdriver, two minutes to spare. Who da Man!?! (long silence) I am never saying that again. Fine."- The Doctor </span>

Oh and what I said about re-sale value. I know the pen you will be getting has a ton of sentimental value, and you probably will never have to sell it to get money. But wouldn't it be nice knowing that the pen you bought will have the same or more value if you sell it?

My experience (although somewhat limited) is to NOT purchase for what resale value it MIGHT or might not have. Under no circumstances buy a pen for an "investment" like you would a stock or bond. It is a physical thing and likely will depreciate significantly. I can relay from my experience with watches that yes, even Rolex and other major Swiss brands don't appreciate - unless they are made of solid gold and not just gold plated.

You spend $400 on a pen - maybe down the road you can get what $200? Maybe less, depending on condition and other factors.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

As this post statred last june ... can we already congratulate you with your graduation ???

+1

And what pen did you finally buy?

It's a celebration present - hopefully you'll look back to it for decades to come as a reminder of a major achievement, and a major milestone in your life. DO NOT consider what it might be worth in ten years' time or whatever! Arguably, don't even worry if it's not a great writer, you're looking for a statement pen not a work-a-day pen.

If I were in your position, I would get a $300 pen that looks beautiful, perhaps in a presentation case, and suitably engraved "Gertrude Franjpani on her graduation 2nd December 2013" (suitably adapted, of course) so you can treasure it and its memories. Like that, there's also less temptation to make a quick buck by selling it, which isn't what you want.

Then, spend $100 on a nice-writing, everyday, pen which you can take out of the house without worrying if it gets stolen/lost/dropped. And perhaps take your $300 engraved pen when you go to reunions!!