An Unbelievable Kindness

Nova42

Before I say anything I think it is important that I set some background information. My mother has been going to the same hairdresser with my grandmother for the past forty years. When I turned seventeen this past year, my grandmother asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I replied asking her if my grandfather (who died when I was young) ever used fountain pens and that it would mean a lot to me to have one if he did. Unfortunately my grandfather did not use fountain pens and instead my grandmother gave me money to by myself a pen and some ink. Now back to the hairdresser; a little while ago my grandmother was talking to her and must have mentioned how I enjoy using fountain pens. At this point she told my grandmother something amazing, several years ago she was given a Mont Blanc fountain pen that she never used. She has felt that for years she has been the caretaker of this pen and would like to pass it on to someone who would really appreciate and care for it. Refusing to accept payment, she gave it to my grandmother to give to me to take on the role of its new caretaker. As a result of this incredible kindness I am now the new and proud owner of a New Old Stock Mont Blanc Meisterstuck LeGrand 147 Traveler. Being a seventeen year old, Mont Blancs are out of my price range and as a result I no very little about this pen and was hoping some of you would be kind enough to enlighten me about it and possibly date it using the photos below.

post-87137-0-41469500-1371244900_thumb.jpg

post-87137-0-95919300-1371244911_thumb.jpg

post-87137-0-72611500-1371244929_thumb.jpg

post-87137-0-06751700-1371245407_thumb.jpg

post-87137-0-69599100-1371245515_thumb.jpg

post-87137-0-41027400-1371245441_thumb.jpg

post-87137-0-72479400-1371244994_thumb.jpg

post-87137-0-20057600-1371245010_thumb.jpg

“It has forever been thus: So long as men write what they think, then all of the other freedoms - all of them - may remain intact. And it is then that writing becomes a weapon of truth, an article of faith, an act of courage.”

-Rod Serling

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nova42

• elysee

• orfew

• N2theBreach

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a wonderful person! Thanks for sharing this joyful story! You ended up with a beautiful pen. As far as I know they still make this model so I am unsure of how to date it. The sticker on the side with the M means it has a medium nib. As the new caretaker of this great pen I hope you have many great years of writing with it and always remember the sweet person that made it possible!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I'm so new to fountain pens that I know nothing except that you are now the lucky caretaker of a very beautiful pen. That nib is so pretty I would be so reluctant to ink it up. You are one lucky young man.

Redonna - http://perpetual-playtime.blogspot.com/

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/3246/rz5.png

New ones can be priced by looking at the Montblanc website (usually around $800)

write with it in good health!!!!!!

Wow, how wonderful! I don't have a Montblanc, but I *do* now own a pen that my grandmother was given by her first boyfriend back in 1942. :)

Good grief, I'd love to just have that CASE! You must have very good karma i"m sure you deserve the gift

That is awesome. I too was admiring the cased as well. You might start by asking the hairdresser how long she has had it and how she came by it. Starts getting you in the ball park.

You should probably ask the hairdresser. The box usually comes with warranty/information booklet, that has the serial number and model number stamped on (and probably the sales date). If that's still in the box, then it should be on there.

I remember getting my first MB, a few weeks before my 16th Birthday. I don't think I've written more with a pen. Just holding it was joy. Congratulations on yours!

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

A gracious (and valuable) gift like this that has ties through your family from this generous lady equals instant heirloom. At your young age this pen can be along for graduation, wedding and any number of life events and get better all the time. Maybe someday many years from now you can gift it to someone close to your heart. Very cool!

Wow, a very nice gift. I have a 147 with an M nib and it is one of my best writers. Enjoy your pen!

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

Thank you all for the positive comments. For those of you wondering, I just noticed a 1995 copyright date on the box so I am guessing that is its date of production roughly.

His Nibs: Yes, I am planning on writing her a very heartfelt thank you note to here and have already attempted to call her (but unfortunately was unable to get in touch),

swanjun: Oh how wonderful! I love pens and other items with a good story like that!

NibNibbler: I agree, having this sort of pen at such a young age gives it so much time to acquire sentimental value that hopefully whoever I pass it on to can appreciate.

“It has forever been thus: So long as men write what they think, then all of the other freedoms - all of them - may remain intact. And it is then that writing becomes a weapon of truth, an article of faith, an act of courage.”

-Rod Serling

Your mother and grandmother's hairdresser is unique and special in today's world, and you seem like the kind of guy who already knows that. She saw herself as the caretaker of the pen. That's just not the sort of thing you see anymore.

Here's a thought--there are many heirlooms passed down from one generation to the next whose story has long been forgotten. You are now in the chain of caretakers of the pen. What if you were to write as much of the story as you know on a piece of paper and tuck it in the box, including the year and who you are, etc. if you use a good quality ink and acid-free paper, it could last for many years. What seems everyday and normal to us could be fascinating to people 100 years from know.

Here's the "story" that made me think of tucking a bit of the pen's legacy in the box: Go to Richardspens.com. On the left panel, click on "Stories, etc." then choose the story called "Collection of Letters."

I really enjoyed it.

Happy Birthday..what an amazing gift.

(The case caught my eye, too!)

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

Now that is one beautiful pen! Thanks for sharing the story of it. Agree with others - heartfelt thank you will mean a lot - to both of you.

I have a set of books that belonged to my grandfather (mom's dad) who died a month after my first birthday. Over the years I have come into possession of several items that belonged to him. A Waltham pocket watch dating to 1908; aforementioned set of books from Lasalle Extension University in Chicago dating to 1923. At least two of the 18 volumes have his signature on the inside front cover. Last but not least, a desk he used in his business, which has been refinished. Right now it just has stuff stacked on it. Nice size for a writing desk,but really to small for a pc. (laptop might be ok though) The central drawer even has ink stains in it. The most important thing I share with him? A name. We both have the same middle name. I can go back six generations either on mom's or dad's side of men with that name (William) either as a middle or first name.

I have a very close relationship with this man who died when I was at such an early age I don't remember anything about him. All I know about him is what I have gleaned from family histories. I don't understand the relationship - and probably never will- at least not in this lifetime.

Why do I relate all this? This is a great way to include the story of the acquisition in a journal. Something you can pass down someday with its story. I wish I know more about the history of some of those things. The books, and the pocket watch especially. I know a little more about the desk but that would be cool too.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

That is such a awesome story! Montblancs are high quality, and I'm sure you'll love your pen even more with that kind of sentiment attached to it.

Pen blog of current inventory

Enjoy life, and keep on writing!

-Tommy

That's wonderful! Good to know there are such generous people out in the world. As others have said, use it and enjoy it. My father gave me a Montblanc 145 for my 16th birthday and I've been using it ever since (nine years and some change) and it still looks as good as knew aside from a few surface scratches which is normal. I've found that MB's wear like iron so it should last you a very long time.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Great! I should think something of this quality would last a lifetime +, and will be a good friend throughout. I can see a hand-written thank-you note being greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story! Its a great feeling owning a beautiful pen and having a story to tell!

Happy birthday!