Dogs And Cats And Pens... Oh My!

Luma

I would love to see Lacy and am sure I am not alone. Can you try uploading the photo via the Upload button as Photobucket doesnt work.

Sorry about the Photobucket problem. I lost my links like everyone else a while back when PB went to into the extortion racket. However, someone (hacker?) came up with a bypass that freed up my pics again where I and everyone else could see them once more. However, it appears this is no longer working (I cam still see my PB linked photos, but evidently others can't, except RMN somehow managed to dredge up Lacy's missing pic in my post above). Anyway, here's another shot of Queen Lacy (marks the first time I've tried the FPN graphics storage feature):

fpn_1511727325__lacy912.jpg

Yes, she knows she's the most beautiful dog in the world, but she tries to keep humble about it. :lol:

Nihonto Chicken

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• inkstainedruth

• DrDebG

• IrishEyes

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fpn_1511727325__lacy912.jpg

Yes, she knows she's the most beautiful dog in the world, but she tries to keep humble about it. :lol:

She’s definitely a cutie!

• 1 month later...

fpn_1515606479__51ug8dmy0l_ac_us218_.jpg

Dog lovers may enjoy David Hockney's Dog Days. I'm sure they have a taste for brush and oil, although the master is working digitally quite often.

More bordering on too much about Hockney. the dogs, and the art show ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/a-dogs-life-1588260.html

Probably for Hockney lovers only or fans of dachshunds.

post-136776-0-71603100-1516095065_thumb.jpg

One of my cats has gotten into the habit of clawing her way up my clothes in order to furiously lick my hair. I do not understand why.

Edited by SoulSamurai

Clearly she feels you, the stupid human, need to be groomed. :lol:

Several years ago we took in a stray mother cat and her not-100% weaned kitten. We couldn't keep the mother (too many bad interactions with our other cats), so she ended up going to the local no-kill shelter; the kitten got out by accident the following summer and was just gone... :crybaby:).

But when we still had them both...

One evening the mother started wrestling with the offspring (who was close to grown at that point). Given that the mother was, well, fairly aggressive with the other cats (she was a tortoise shell, and therefore had the "extra female territory gene" B), and had basically taken over the house -- particularly irksome to the dilute tortie who had been the self-professed "Queen of the House"; now, with Eponine gone, Polychrome has reasserted her authority to that title :rolleyes:). But I was a little concerned about how Cosette, the kitten, was being treated (she was also a tortie). Until I realized that Eponine was just "rasslin'" and that was a precursor to "Groom, groom, groom, groom, groom....." As in, "C'mere kid, Mama's gotta make sure you washed behind your ears...." :P

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well, I am a little overdue for a haircut...

This cat was actually a stray herself. She just showed up in our garden one day, meowing up a storm. We fed her, and she's been here ever since.

Edited by SoulSamurai

• 5 weeks later...

One of my danish/swedish farmdogs, "Freja" with a snack.

~ farmdogfan:

I'd never seen this thread before.

Tonight while enjoying the many fine posts here, I noticed several featuring your Farmdogs.

Suddenly it clicked. Why hadn't I realized it before?

By “farmdog” in your on-line name you mean “gårdshund”, which I've seen in Scandinavia.

Your photography in Fountain Pen Network is as good is it gets, so the images of your farmdogs have lovely bokeh and superb composition.

I'm so pleased to know that your home is blessed with several farmdogs.

My Pug puppy, Zuji, would send his greetings, if he could. He's friendly and easygoing.

Thank you for posting such excellent dog portraits.

Tom K.

fpn_1517135345__reunion.jpg

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/329223-enjoying-montblanc-pens-broad-oblique-extra-fine-le-bespoke/page-32 Post #640

~ This is Zuji, an 8-month old Pug puppy. He regularly appears in the “Enjoying Montblanc Pens...” thread, but made a rather special appearance in connection with a Platinum Mozart EF pen.

The link above has images and the full tale of Zuji's appreciation for my smallest fountain pen. What occurred was 100% my responsibility, as I ought to have kept the pen away from him when I wasn't present.

In any case, Zuji is a sweet-tempered, quiet dog, full of energy at times, but content to rest otherwise. He watches me writing, no doubt wondering why I'd do that in preference to playing toss and fetch with him.

Zuji is soft, cuddly, lacks any doggy odor, never sheds his fur, and is seldom excited by anything...except...steamed chicken breast, which triggers bursts of energy otherwise unseen.

Tom K.

Zuji is just as cute as can be! I love pugs, although I would have a hard time dealing with their "snoring" issues as they age. Instead, I have a Chihuahua with the same issues.... LOL!

"In the end, only kindness matters."

fpn_1518907053__pippintheadorable2a.jpg

This is my new and adorable puppy, Pippin, age 4 months, weight 3 lbs., 6 oz. He is a MaltiPom, and is the full brother of Teddy (his photo should be in this thread, somewhere), but by a more recent litter. You'd never know they were related, looking at their pix--Teddy looks like a golden version of his Pomeranian mother, while Pippin, here, looks much more like his Maltese father, but with stand up ears :-). He's a little snuggle bug, and loves me more than anyone in the whole, big world :-). He loves to play, snuggle, and EAT! He's as food motivated as his big brother....

Edited by IrishEyes

Zuji is just as cute as can be! I love pugs, although I would have a hard time dealing with their "snoring" issues as they age. Instead, I have a Chihuahua with the same issues.... LOL!

~ IrishEyes:

Zuji thanks you so much for the very kind comments.

Thus far I've noticed that nearly all of the issues described for Pugs overseas inexplicably don't seem to apply to Pugs here, including Zuji.

There's no sign of snoring or snorting yet. Absolutely no shedding whatsoever. He's not obsessed with food, nor are other local Pugs.

His veterinarian has commented that Pugs in this country seldom experience serious health issues, which does indeed seem to be the case.

Perhaps as you say, with age, this might change.

It's so nice of you to comment on Zuji.

Tom K.

This is my new and adorable puppy, Pippin, age 4 months, weight 3 lbs., 6 oz. He is a MaltiPom, and is the full brother of Teddy (his photo should be in this thread, somewhere), but by a more recent litter. You'd never know they were related, looking at their pix--Teddy looks like a golden version of his Pomeranian mother, while Pippin, here, looks much more like his Maltese father, but with stand up ears :-). He's a little snuggle bug, and loves me more than anyone in the whole, big world :-). He loves to play, snuggle, and EAT! He's as food motivated as his big brother....

~ IrishEyes:

Thank you so much for sharing such a sweet portrait of Pippin. He's half Zuji's age, but they're both 2017 puppies.

Having a snuggle bug in your home must be a joy! That brings a kind of happiness which melts one's heart with joy.

Like Pippin, Zuji loves to play. At heart he's an engineer or an architect. He loves to move pillows, dog beds and toy boxes around to construct puppy nests.

Pippin's alert stand-up ears and bright eyes suggest that he loves the photographer.

It's really great that Pippin is sharing your life. Zuji and I send our warmest greetings to him.

Tom K.

~ IrishEyes:

Thank you so much for sharing such a sweet portrait of Pippin. He's half Zuji's age, but they're both 2017 puppies.

Having a snuggle bug in your home must be a joy! That brings a kind of happiness which melts one's heart with joy.

Like Pippin, Zuji loves to play. At heart he's an engineer or an architect. He loves to move pillows, dog beds and toy boxes around to construct puppy nests.

Pippin's alert stand-up ears and bright eyes suggest that he loves the photographer.

It's really great that Pippin is sharing your life. Zuji and I send our warmest greetings to him.

Tom K.

Thank you for the very kind words, Tom! Yes, he DOES love his Mama (me) more than anything--even his big brother :-). He likes my husband well enough, but he'd be stuck like Velcro to me 24/7 if he could. As it is, he manages it about 21/7 *grins*.

Your little guy is absolutely adorable, too! Your breeders in China must be doing a much better job of keeping the lines healthy, rather than breeding with no care about health issues and/or congenital defects. I think that's very admirable of your breeders over there. There are far too many of the "squished faced" breeds with a ton of congenital defects, including the breathing problems, skin problems, and even the inability to breed w/out help (English Bulldogs, specifically) being bred for show and pet purposes here in the USA. I adore some of those breeds, especially Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and Pugs. It's too bad they've got so many problems in the U.S., imho. We have a large enough pack in this household that we try not to deliberately bring in dogs who we know for a fact are subject to chronic problems, as our veterinarians are already making a packet from us! LOL! Otherwise, I'd already have one of those CKCSpaniels and/or a longhaired mini dachshund (prone to back problems). I still love 'em all, though! <3

fpn_1518933306__its_me_1_of_1.jpg

"Hi Mom! Whatcha doing?"

Her name is Voila! We call her "Wally" for short.

She is an 8 year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and a total and complete sweetheart!

She seems to favor my Franklin Christoph Panther, probably because of the sweet acrylic fragrance that emanates from it. Her favorite time of the day is after her breakfast when we both go up to my office and I have my daily "quiet time". She is a great friend and companion.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

This is Cypher, my little lap dog. He is 2 years old now. As a pup he was fascinated with my fountain pens, so much so that he had to inspect them with his mouth to make sure they wouldn't harm me in anyway. For about 6 months during that phase, I couldn't keep my pens in the open at home at any point of time.

post-130101-0-17267000-1518935142_thumb.jpg

And this is Dodo, the grand old dad of our house. He is about 10 years old now. He can hypnotize anyone to follow his will with his sad little mug. Though he is a pint sized fellow he thinks he is the guardian of house :)

post-130101-0-64922100-1518936320_thumb.jpg

post-130101-0-12844800-1518936361_thumb.jpg

Edited by KshitijShetty

Thank you for the very kind words, Tom! Yes, he DOES love his Mama (me) more than anything--even his big brother :-). He likes my husband well enough, but he'd be stuck like Velcro to me 24/7 if he could. As it is, he manages it about 21/7 *grins*.

Your little guy is absolutely adorable, too! Your breeders in China must be doing a much better job of keeping the lines healthy, rather than breeding with no care about health issues and/or congenital defects. I think that's very admirable of your breeders over there. There are far too many of the "squished faced" breeds with a ton of congenital defects, including the breathing problems, skin problems, and even the inability to breed w/out help (English Bulldogs, specifically) being bred for show and pet purposes here in the USA. I adore some of those breeds, especially Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and Pugs. It's too bad they've got so many problems in the U.S., imho. We have a large enough pack in this household that we try not to deliberately bring in dogs who we know for a fact are subject to chronic problems, as our veterinarians are already making a packet from us! LOL! Otherwise, I'd already have one of those CKCSpaniels and/or a longhaired mini dachshund (prone to back problems). I still love 'em all, though! <3

~ IrishEyes:

It sounds as though little Pippin is your shadow, in the nicest way. Last Summer I sought a Maltese, but was unable to find a reliable breeder. They're such charming dogs, so a MaltiPom must be a joy!

Yours truly worked in a veterinary hospital on weekends and holidays for three years in high school. That provided basic employment skills and a basic understanding of dogs and cats.

It's really true that Pugs here are largely free of any of the problematic issues which are frequently seen in Pugs overseas.

Without access to reliable research, anything I might write is nothing more than conjecture. Nonetheless, I have an idea why the health problems aren't evident here.

There may be two causes. First, the severely brachycephalic “squished face” breeds haven't been bred to be so severe. In other words, Zuji's muzzle isn't so flat when viewed from the side.

The public here has been satisfied with dogs which aren't so “type-y”. This is, after all, where they originated. Ultra-flat faces weren't as desirable as the overall effect.

The second reason is more grim. Sick dogs here don't live. Period.

They're either allowed to die without care, or directly eliminated. The thinking may be that doing so eliminates veterinary bills. It also takes their genes out of the breeding gene pool.

Hence what Pugs there are tend to be healthy all the way around. It's essential here to have all vaccinations as canine infectious disease is rampant.

Zuji was neutered last month at seven months old, so he'll have no descendants, but rather live on in both memory and photographs.

At the moment he's happily chewing on an artificial chew bone. The sound of his teeth is somehow reassuring. He's otherwise the very quietest of puppies.

Tom K.

"Hi Mom! Whatcha doing?"

Her name is Voila! We call her "Wally" for short.

She is an 8 year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and a total and complete sweetheart!

She seems to favor my Franklin Christoph Panther, probably because of the sweet acrylic fragrance that emanates from it. Her favorite time of the day is after her breakfast when we both go up to my office and I have my daily "quiet time". She is a great friend and companion.

~ DrPenfection:

Dog portraits don't get any lovelier than what you've shared of your Voila.

Such soulfully beautiful eyes! She looks like a delightful companion for the day's activities including writing with fountain pens.

Thank you for sharing her portrait. It provides ideas for how I might photograph my own Zuji.

Tom K.

This is Cypher, my little lap dog. He is 2 years old now. As a pup he was fascinated with my fountain pens, so much so that he had to inspect them with his mouth to make sure they wouldn't harm me in anyway. For about 6 months during that phase, I couldn't keep my pens in the open at home at any point of time.

And this is Dodo, the grand old dad of our house. He is about 10 years old now. He can hypnotize anyone to follow his will with his sad little mug. Though he is a pint sized fellow he thinks he is the guardian of house :)

fpn_1518956999__bashful.jpg

Bashful Zuji

~ KshitijShetty:

The fountain pen inspection phase which your Cypher went through appears to be a lasting characteristic of my Zuji.

I'd dare not leave any fountain pen near him, unless it was under my constant control. He uses his mouth to inspect, or test, everything.

He's a lap dog when he feels like it, but otherwise adores tossing toys, pillows and cushions about. Rearranging the house is his favorite pastime.

Your venerable Dodo makes an imposing house guardian! Thank you for posting the images of Dodo and Cypher.

Tom K.

Just a side note after seeing these wonderful dogs.

A very close relative and his wife, daughter, and a boxer are a family unit. The first boxer lived in London, Manila, and MD until his death. Ned, the much-beloved new member has lived in Geneva and VA, The unit has moved to Dubai. The UAR does not allow the boxer in its' sandy, oil-rich strands. Ned is spending three years at 'college' in VA with a wonderful family of boxer-lovers. The incomplete unit in Dubai spends three days a week volunteering with the local dog-care organization and keeping in contact with Ned.

I may submit a picture of Buffy the Wonder Dog, but she has very little of the cuteness of these above, She is an orchard dog with a Shepherd mom and a travelling man as a dad.

fpn_1518956999__bashful.jpg

Bashful Zuji

~ KshitijShetty:

The fountain pen inspection phase which your Cypher went through appears to be a lasting characteristic of my Zuji.

I'd dare not leave any fountain pen near him, unless it was under my constant control. He uses his mouth to inspect, or test, everything.

He's a lap dog when he feels like it, but otherwise adores tossing toys, pillows and cushions about. Rearranging the house is his favorite pastime.

Your venerable Dodo makes an imposing house guardian! Thank you for posting the images of Dodo and Cypher.

Tom K.

Very handsome indeed!

I grew up with a very feisty black pug. They are wonderful friends and guardians. They have the attitude of a great wolfhound with about 1/10th the size.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today