Fpn Will Be Offline For A Few Hours, Early On 2013-06-13

wimg

Dearest Members and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,

The server on which FPN is hosted has been in a temporary provisioning or staging area, since we encountered a bunch of problems in April 2013, as we needed to fix these in a separate area. On Thursday, June 13, around 00:01 EDT, or 04:01 UCT, the migration to the actual server will start.

During the first 4 to 6 hours of the migration it is business as usual, as this will be a copy of the site as it is, with the site being online. Once this is completed, approximately 4 to 6 hours later, and maybe even longer, the site will go offline for anything between half an hour and 4 hours, when the migrated copy is being synced with the last state of the provisioning. live server.

We will not be able to provide any messages during this period of time, as to progress etc. However, the event of FPN being offline is planned to occur in the period where there is least traffic in the day, so when this happens, please bear with us, we will be up again soon thereafter.

Warm regards,

Wim

On behalf of

your FPN Moderator and Admin Team

Update 06:00 EDT / 10:00 UTC:

The initial migration has been completed for about 50%. IOW, it is going a bit slower than anticipated, mostly due to the traffic we were and are still having. However, we do it this way in order to keep the site up and running as much as possible. An extra backup was made by the server hosting team as well, which did slow things down a bit too.

Update 07:35 EDT / 11:35 UTC:

The second half went a lot faster - the migration is completed, with virtually no downtime! Three cheers for the server hosting team!

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• RMN

• pmhudepo

• pavoni

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the update, hopefully the problems will stop.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

Hey Wim, you'ld better change the title.

September 13 is a long time from now...

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

thanks for the update, hopefully the problems will stop.

Just some niggly problems which remain, and they appear to be individual problems rather than board wide problems.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Thank you, D.ick, done :D.

As usual I am trying to do too many things at the same time ;).

Warm regards, Wim

Hey Wim, you'ld better change the title.

September 13 is a long time from now...

D.ick

the Mad Dutchman

Good luck, I hope it all goes smoothly!

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

It's a pleasure. Unfortunately we can't provide an exact time or timing for that matter, and with the site being offline completely at the end of the migration for the final sync, we can't have a message up saying that this is the case either :).

Of course the good thing of a Virtual OS on our dedicated server is that everything should stay the same otherwise, ip-addresses, etc.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Thanks for the update!!

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Yes, we have. The question is what exactly to use it for, without overloading it. Using it just for maintenance type announcements is maybe a bit OTT, and (automatically) tweeting each new topic is maybe a bit too much. We still need to think about a proper balance before we move into this direction.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Update: the migration has been completed - downtime was absolutely minimal :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

:D

I think we were down for 9 minutes and a few seconds, that was all :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

that is less than 1 promille compared to last month. Yo're getting the hang of it... :thumbup:

D.ick

Edited by RMN

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

That was amazing! Thank you all, both the admin team and the hosting company for a job well done!

fpn_1355507962__snailbadge.png

That was amazing! Thank you all, both the admin team and the hosting company for a job well done!

+1

A fantastic job by a super team.

Pavoni

you guys continue to surprise me how well this website is maintained and controlled....

I guess having such fantastic members helps ;)

Thank you for your continued hard work in fueling our fountain pen craze!

Thank you all, guys and gals!

It helps to have great members, a bunch of super moderators, and a good hosting team indeed.

Warmest regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman