Help Identifying My Rotring

enchiridion

I have a rOtring I've had since university or even before. It's from before 1989, but I have no clue what model it is. (my dating it might be flawed since I'm not getting any younger ;-) )

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3672/9021856538_452153991d.jpg
rOtring by Diskfac, on Flickr

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5466/9021856338_30ecd4f04b.jpg
rOtring by Diskfac, on Flickr

the body is made of messing and blackened (but some has worn off)

the thread of the pen part that screws into the body is in inox or nickel

the nib has rOtring on the side and M on the other side

have always been very fond of it

Does anyone an idea as to what model?

thanks

Lode

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.bermond.be

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JPS_Rotring

• OnePenGuy

• enchiridion

• JLS1

I think it's a 600.

Have a look for Rotring on ebay.de and see if you can find one that looks the same.

I agree that it looks like a Rotring 600 FP (old style with the knurled grip) but normally the hallmark of the 600 series is the hexagonal shape/cross-section...this one looks like a smooth circle. I'd be curious as to whether it's a 600 or not.

exactly, it doesn't have the clip of a 600 and it is round

www.bermond.be

I think it's a 600.

Have a look for Rotring on ebay.de and see if you can find one that looks the same.

tried before asking not even one that looks similar

www.bermond.be

It must be one of the early models then. When I was at university we only knew Rotring for the drawing instruments. It was only later in around 1995 that i discovered they did pens as well, and bought a 400.

So I missed a few editions. ;)

Did you try asking on penboard.de forum?

Edited by whych

indeed we used isographs for mathematical drawing at high school (at university we used the first plotters by IBM). I had a propeller pencil in black plastic and later in 1987 or 88 I got a special pen by rotring

http://www.google.be/imgres?imgurl=http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/DocNib2006/DocNib%2520Pics%25201001-2000/P1010006a.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/67456-on-the-morrow-saleits-here-ready-waiting/&h=209&w=639&sz=16&tbnid=fr3kVYcagpOeYM:&tbnh=40&tbnw=122&zoom=1&usg=__3UQ6Bcg3kPZYR5vq12f3zRaH2M0=&docid=JAliBVvsbityyM&sa=X&ei=h2O7UcBqxbmEB9u7gLgH&ved=0CEIQ9QEwAQ&dur=1380

which used pelikan type ink cartridges (the same as my Rotring Art Pen I got in 1986 or 87. Still writes perfect although the cap is a bit worn so it drops of easily.

Then I got a black triopen.

then this fountain pen.

then a triopen with instead of 3 pencils of different diameter a pencil and a red and black ballpoint

later a quadropen with orange fluo ballpoint on top of that

then a quadropen with marker and a stylus pen for pda's (which worked fine with the Sony Clie UX500)

I probably got half the catalogue during the years but in most cases it's hard to find de references.

regards,

Lode

Edited by enchiridion

www.bermond.be

I'm wondering if your pen is a Germany-only school model (like the old Schulfullers made by MB, Geha and Sonnecken)? I found an image of a pen that sort-of looks like yours (an older Rotring Rapid Pro; see here) but it's not an FP and AFAIK the current Rapid Pros have the hexagonal body shape of the 600.

Not wanting to hijack the OP's thread- my question is relative- but I have noticed some Rotring 600 series pens (Rollerballs in particular) have some slight variations to them ie. some have the knurled grips and cap ends, some have the Rotring 600 logo printed in red on the cap whilst others do not.

Was there different versions within the 600 range, or was one a "new" version instead of an "old" version?

I have a rOtring I've had since university or even before. It's from before 1989, but I have no clue what model it is. (my dating it might be flawed since I'm not getting any younger ;-) )

[snipped...]

the body is made of messing and blackened (but some has worn off)

the thread of the pen part that screws into the body is in inox or nickel

the nib has rOtring on the side and M on the other side

have always been very fond of it

Does anyone an idea as to what model?

thanks

Lode

Well, I've been searching (online) to see any sort of hint what it may be, but my google-fu is lacking in this case. Sorry 'bout that. Not much help, but if I do happen to figure it out, I'll post again. I do like that look, and now, just because it's (relatively) unique, I think it would be fun to find one as well! :D I actually have a bp which has a similar style (so maybe in the same model family?), which I got off that one auction site, and so learning more would be great.

Well, I've been searching (online) to see any sort of hint what it may be, but my google-fu is lacking in this case.

same problem. thanks

Lode

www.bermond.be

My wife borrowed my Altro Tintenkuli, I managed to buy one new a couple of years ago from ebay.de but in a hideous pink.

Also bought the matching fountain pen for it.

It is a pity that the original Rotring website has disappeared and the new owners, Newell Rubbermaid (Parker, Waterman), have kept none of the references to historical pens that were on it.

@bmwboris

Like most manufacturers, I think they made minor changes to many of their pens.

Edited by whych

Hello whych,

You are correct, however these changes over the years dictate whether the pen is a series 1, 2 or 3.

I am unsure as to what changes were made over the years between the series.

Would anyone know?

My wife borrowed my Altro Tintenkuli, I managed to buy one new a couple of years ago from ebay.de but in a hideous pink.

Also bought the matching fountain pen for it.

It is a pity that the original Rotring website has disappeared and the new owners, Newell Rubbermaid (Parker, Waterman), have kept none of the references to historical pens that were on it.

@bmwboris

Like most manufacturers, I think they made minor changes to many of their pens.

What about using the Wayback machine to look at earlier versions of the Rotring website?

Rotring Lambda. Don't know if it is the official name but that is what it has been generally referred to in the past. Google image search seems to concur.

Rotring Lambda. Don't know if it is the official name but that is what it has been generally referred to in the past. Google image search seems to concur.

Whoa...I think you've nailed it. I bow to your superior knowledge and Google-Fu :notworthy1:

How did you find it?

Rotring Lambda is indeed correct. Its only known by the Lambda moniker behind the scenes, because this was a pen only available for business customers, it was meant to be used as give away or merchandise with your own companys logo printed on. The series consists of fountain pen, rollerball, ballpoint and mechanical pencil

many thanks and the name is a nice surprise since my firstname starts with an L

www.bermond.be

Oh, duh! Thanks for the reminder.

It had been a while since I got my bp from that one auction site, but, checking through the (old) emails, I ended up keeping the one from the seller about it shipping, and right there in the title of the auction it states that they were rotring Lambda ballpoints! The memory ain't what it used to be, apparently! :)

So when I get the chance, I could share a pic of my Lambda ballpoint, if anyone's interested. Though, yeah, it'll pretty much look like any which google images can pull up as well...

B)

• 3 weeks later...